The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #8,056 of 17,484
Lol duh ....but if u read it right u would my gripes are about a sound signature not technicalities. It matched well with my akg k545 because they are opposites of each other and maintained balance. So it's not for me and for sale. : ). But all the hp's I have had despite sig sound more like able and transparent through the iMac. When looking for more technical things like details etc I find the fiio to be fine and found the bass more textured.

On the go I would still prefer a more balanced and less congested sound. I think a c&c bh 2 as an amp or a c5 would probably do the trick.

c5 is great and transparent amp .... they said 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #8,057 of 17,484
Lol duh ....but I don't have to like it and never had such gripes about my cheap Sansa clip It matched well with my akg k545 because they are opposites of each other and maintained balance. So it's not for me and for sale. : ). But all the hp's I have had despite sig sound more like able and transparent through the iMac. When looking for more technical things like details etc I find the fiio to be fine and found the bass more textured.

On the go I would still prefer a more balanced and less congested sound. I think a c&c bh 2 as an amp or a c5 would probably do the trick.

Not trying to dissuade you from selling your X3, just want to say that my X3 took a little while to open up sonically. I know some people don't believe in electronics burn in but the amp stage of any player takes a while to completely come into its own in my experience. Just for reference, after 300+ hours my X3 doesn't sound less transparent or significantly darker than my rockboxed Sansa Fuze(s) or Clip+. YMMV

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #8,058 of 17,484
Thanks to Joe0Bloggs, I figured out why the files weren't working.  Both the bit rate and sampling were too low.  After some conversion and upsampling, I am pleased to say that I have each and every one working perfectly with proper tags and album art.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #8,060 of 17,484
after peeping your list of headphones I can see the fiio x3 making a great match with shure headphones. All of the ones i have heard are bright and lack body. the body of the x3 sounds like a good synergy with a shure product. 

For me the X3 has a slightly warmer sound signature. Hence the best pairing would be neutral or slightly brighter phones. IEMs like W4R sounds even warmer and darker with it. I didn't enjoy pairing W4R with the X3. Shure will be a better match as they're not on the warmer side of things but leaning towards slightly bright for me. :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #8,061 of 17,484
For me the X3 has a slightly warmer sound signature. Hence the best pairing would be neutral or slightly brighter phones. IEMs like W4R sounds even warmer and darker with it. I didn't enjoy pairing W4R with the X3. Shure will be a better match as they're not on the warmer side of things but leaning towards slightly bright for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

reason why it matched well with the akg k545.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #8,062 of 17,484
  after peeping your list of headphones I can see the fiio x3 making a great match with shure headphones. All of the ones i have heard are bright and lack body. the body of the x3 sounds like a good synergy with a shure product. 

i purchased x3 & se535 after reading many researches and reviews on sound signature of each one ....and you are right they fit each other very well 

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #8,063 of 17,484
I've received my Fiio X3 and my Soundmagic HP100. I am very happy so far. The only problem I encountered is when using X3 as a DAC with Foobar 2k the screen only showed 44/16 so I installed Foobar 2000 Wasapi plugin and now the sample rate changes but the bit depth is stuck at whatever I set it at in Foobar2000 wasapi plugin config screen. Most of my stuff is 16 bit CD rips.

How did everyone else get it to work properly?

I must say, though, that this is the only tiny issue (and I'm sure it's just me not knowing what I'm doing) I've had with this thing so far. I'm loving the sound, I've had goose-bumps from some tracks, I updated the firmware no problem, I scanned about 7G of tunes from the external SD Card into the database in about 2 seconds, that worked fine. I usually just browse by directory anyway.

Oh yeah, and .cue sheets, I can't get that to work.

B.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8,064 of 17,484
Hi all.

I'm leaning towards getting an X3 and I've read a few posts saying that the line out of the X3 maybe too powerful for a typical Aux In of a car stereo... mine is the stock setup on my BMW Mini Cooper S (so can't just change the head unit).

So, this maybe a long shot but has anyone had this issue with playing audio out through the line out of an X3 in their Mini?

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #8,065 of 17,484
  Hi all.

I'm leaning towards getting an X3 and I've read a few posts saying that the line out of the X3 maybe too powerful for a typical Aux In of a car stereo... mine is the stock setup on my BMW Mini Cooper S (so can't just change the head unit).

So, this maybe a long shot but has anyone had this issue with playing audio out through the line out of an X3 in their Mini?

You can use the headphone jack instead.  The audio will be then adjustable by the onboard hardware and thus saving your vehicle's hardware. It may not be 'pure' audio, but the sound is already going to be quite nice anyways.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #8,066 of 17,484
Cheers Saidear. It may have to come to that, but after having headphone sockets on my prior devices break (ipod touch and my current mobile phone), I'm a little paranoid to break the headphone socket on the X3 if I get one. I was hoping that I could use the headphone and line out sockets for their respective duties and thus half the wear 'n' tear.
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #8,067 of 17,484
Hi all.

I don't have a Mini but I do run the Line Out of the X3 into the Aux In port on my 2009 Vibe factory head unit without any issue. I actually have to turn the volume up a little bit louder with the X3 connected than I do with the XM audio or CD.
:beerchug:

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #8,068 of 17,484
I've received my Fiio X3 and my Soundmagic HP100. I am very happy so far. The only problem I encountered is when using X3 as a DAC with Foobar 2k the screen only showed 44/16 so I installed Foobar 2000 Wasapi plugin and now the sample rate changes but the bit depth is stuck at whatever I set it at in Foobar2000 wasapi plugin config screen. Most of my stuff is 16 bit CD rips.

How did everyone else get it to work properly?

I must say, though, that this is the only tiny issue (and I'm sure it's just me not knowing what I'm doing) I've had with this thing so far. I'm loving the sound, I've had goose-bumps from some tracks, I updated the firmware no problem, I scanned about 7G of tunes from the external SD Card into the database in about 2 seconds, that worked fine. I usually just browse by directory anyway.

Oh yeah, and .cue sheets, I can't get that to work.

B.

Just set it to 24bits then. Foobar will simply pad 16bit songs with zeros, it's still effectively bit perfect. As for cue files, they have to be separate cue files named the same as the cued music file and be in ANSI or UTF-8 (with BOM) format. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #8,070 of 17,484
i have X3 for 2 months now. And i dont recomend it to anyone.
1) It crashes and freezes a lot. Actual UI is pretty good apart from crashes.
2) It has some weird noises when in song is few frequencies(It isnt hiss)
3) It doesnt sound any better than 2012 Ipod classic
4) It needs 4-6 hours to recharge
i also would like horizontal screen like ipod classic, because i cant readsong names in folder view - screen is too narrow.
64Gb card works withount any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back