The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,861 of 17,482
You can always carry a small power bank with you to charge the X3 in case it runs out of battery.

You can cut charging time into 4 hours by using an iPad charger (2.1A) with the stock USB cable. But of course if it takes 6 hours, you can perhaps consider charging it when you are in bed and it would be full when you're up! You'll just have to find ways to charge it when you're not using it so that charging the device won't interfere with listening to your music. :)
Anker makes a nice dual charger 2.1amps for about $12 on Amazon. Smart charger too. Will vary output as needed on one output. You must be using a 1amp or lower phone charger for it to be taking that long to charge.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #7,862 of 17,482
The reason why iDevice tend to work flawlessly is because there is this thing called iTune, which either asks you to only buy iDevice compatible music in the first place or forces you to convert your music before loading to the device itself. You get the compatibility not because iDevice is better on the firmware, but because the heavy lifting has been taken care using some clever trick. The problem with FiiO is that they don't have an iTune of their own to optimize the files and check for compatibility before they are loaded onto X3. Therefore X3 itself must be able to read everything and try to play them back. That will require more intensive coding than that on iDevices and ultimately lesser smoothness and more buggy in operation. I think it will be much easier for them just to write a FLAC encoder, then require everyone to convert all their music to a fully functional 24/192 FLAC setting before loading, but then I'll probably hate it as much as I hated iTune. I remember an article from a few years back comparing OSX to Windows - it mentioned that although OSX ran on a much slower hardware back then, people still believe it ran faster. But in actual measurement, OSX did run slower. It is just that Apple had managed to pre-load the interface up so people thought it ran faster. But in reality it still had to wait for the library in the background to load up before it can actually work. Where Windows seemed slower because it didn't pre-load any interface but only came out when everything had been loaded and ready to work.

I have recoded / optimized my whole music collection so 99.95% of the time they will just play on any device I loaded them on. Basically I have done the job of iTune, except that my optimization is toward maximum compatibility to non-iDevice DAP since I do own quite a few of them. The funny part is that I have encountered more problem asking my iPod Nano to playback mp3 file (*when they are encoded via non-common setting) than I have with X3. It is a pain in all honesty to get everything runs right, but in return I have faced much less problem these days with any DAP, regardless it is X3 or an iPod Nano.

Sometime it is just the little thing that gets you. Remind me of this.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #7,863 of 17,482
The reason why iDevice tend to work flawlessly is because there is this thing called iTune, which either asks you to only buy iDevice compatible music in the first place or forces you to convert your music before loading to the device itself. You get the compatibility not because iDevice is better on the firmware, but because the heavy lifting has been taken care using some clever trick. The problem with FiiO is that they don't have an iTune of their own to optimize the files and check for compatibility before they are loaded onto X3
The "trick" that you are referring to is called a proper database and an user interface that can make use of it. Many different players do a great job of it, not just itunes. Many don't. When people use this as an excuse its just rationalizing the problem. This is not a shiney thing, it's something that should be done before a device is released for sale. If you don't have good tags and have problems then it's your fault but if you have good tags and have problems then it's the manufacturer's fault.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7,865 of 17,482
I just got mine yesterday. Will but the memory card today. Dropped some flac files in internal memory and played Ok. But when I'm attaching my ath 50 to the line out I can't control the volume while from headphone out I can do so. Please guide regarding this....
Regards
Somnath

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,869 of 17,482
The "trick" that you are referring to is called a proper database and an user interface that can make use of it. Many different players do a great job of it, not just itunes. Many don't. When people use this as an excuse its just rationalizing the problem. This is not a shiney thing, it's something that should be done before a device is released for sale. If you don't have good tags and have problems then it's your fault but if you have good tags and have problems then it's the manufacturer's fault.

I have good tag on my music and everything work just fine on my X3. The previous point is, if you can't get an software like iTune to get your tags right, then you should yourself get the tags right. There is one thing to have all the right tags yet the player mess them up, but another thing that you don't have the right tags but require the player to still play them nice. Sometime you can believe that your music have all the right tags only to find out they ain't so in some occasions. Of course, there are also DAP that do these things better than others.

There is also the problem of encoding. Unlike PC, which is a much more versatile and tolerance when it comes to codec, a DAP is very limited  For example, I have a downloaded FLAC file that plays fine on the PC but unsupported on DAP (not just X3, but DX50 as well). I need to transcode it to FLAC again with a DAP friendly setting because the original encoding has some odd setting that doesn't play well on portable devices. This is obviously neither a fault of the FLAC files nor the DAP. It is just an example that asking for total compatibility all the time every time is in itself a tall order.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #7,870 of 17,482

Line out doesn't have variable volume.

Then how to use it? Sorry for noob questions. If I attach the headphone through the x3 headphone out or attach a e11 through x3 line out and then attach the headphone to the e11 headphone out... Which will give better quality sound?
V Cheers
Somnath

The headphone out is affected by the volume control and bass and treble options. It is intended for when you want to listen with headphones. The line out is for when you want to use an external amplifier or say, to plug the X3 into a traditional stereo setup. The tone controls and volume controls have no effect on the line out. When I use my X3 I do not use any external amplifiers such as an E11 or E12. The X3 headphone amp does a fine job for me as it sounds nice and has more power than I need as is. Some folks prefer to use external amps thinking the external amp may actually offer better sound. Which sounds better? Why don't you try both and see for yourself? Which sounds better is not an exact science, it's more of an opinion don't you think? To make matters worse, nothing says you can't plug an external amp into the headphone out instead of the line out and really make things whatever you wish them to be. Some folks believe the line out has a mid-bass boost they find objectionable. For this reason they are forced to use headphone out which they believe does not have the mid-bass boost. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #7,871 of 17,482

Line out doesn't have variable volume.

Then how to use it? Sorry for noob questions. If I attach the headphone through the x3 headphone out or attach a e11 through x3 line out and then attach the headphone to the e11 headphone out... Which will give better quality sound?
V Cheers
Somnath

The headphone out is affected by the volume control and bass and treble options. It is intended for when you want to listen with headphones. The line out is for when you want to use an external amplifier or say, to plug the X3 into a traditional stereo setup. The tone controls and volume controls have no effect on the line out. When I use my X3 I do not use any external amplifiers such as an E11 or E12. The X3 headphone amp does a fine job for me as it sounds nice and has more power than I need as is. Some folks prefer to use external amps thinking the external amp may actually offer better sound. Which sounds better? Why don't you try both and see for yourself? Which sounds better is not an exact science, it's more of an opinion don't you think? To make matters worse, nothing says you can't plug an external amp into the headphone out instead of the line out and really make things whatever you wish them to be. Some folks believe the line out has a mid-bass boost they find objectionable. For this reason they are forced to use headphone out which they believe does not have the mid-bass boost. 

I find this to be extremely useful and informative. Thanks a lot for putting my doubt to rest.
I will ask one more noob question. I'm converting my cds to flac. In using exact audio copy for conversion and foober for tagging. I'm trading the artist name, album name and genre so far. Like say Bob Marley, the best of and reggae. Is that enough? Can I rank the individual songs somehow? I want to make specific playlists for different moods. Please provide tips for that. Thanks in advance :)
Regards
Somnath

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #7,872 of 17,482
I find this to be extremely useful and informative. Thanks a lot for putting my doubt to rest.
I will ask one more noob question. I'm converting my cds to flac. In using exact audio copy for conversion and foober for tagging. I'm trading the artist name, album name and genre so far. Like say Bob Marley, the best of and reggae. Is that enough? Can I rank the individual songs somehow? I want to make specific playlists for different moods. Please provide tips for that. Thanks in advance :)
Regards
Somnath

You can go through the songs and put them into separate folders.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #7,873 of 17,482

I will ask one more noob question. I'm converting my cds to flac. In using exact audio copy for conversion and foober for tagging. I'm trading the artist name, album name and genre so far. Like say Bob Marley, the best of and reggae. Is that enough? Can I rank the individual songs somehow? I want to make specific playlists for different moods. Please provide tips for that. Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
Somnath

When I started ripping my CD's to FLAC the conventional wisdom was to use Exact Audio Copy to do this. I ripped a thousand CD's or more this way. As you mention, a different program may be needed to properly tag the files. Then someone clued me into using dBpoweramp Reference to rip my discs. I haven't touched EAC since. dBpoweramp rips, rates, tags, and grabs cover art in one easy program. It checks your rips against Accurate Rip to make sure you got it right. As with Exact Audio Copy there are options you will want to select before you start ripping, but far fewer. You just want to let the program test your CD or DVD drive and then set it up to rip in "Secure Mode". After you have ripped a CD with dBpoweramp in Secure Mode you have a good rip with proper tags and art. It costs money and I'd pay it yearly if I had to, thankfully you just pay for it once. Highly recommended.

Exact Audio Copy is fine, I won't say anything against it. But dBpoweramp is miles ahead. I am not certain how to make playlists that work with the X3 so I can't help you there. For additional tagging needs I use a program called Tag and Rename, as well as a tagger from a website called MusicBrainz. (MusicBrainz Picard is the name of the tagger) I use these programs when dealing with non-ripped files or to correct mistakes. The Foobar Tagger is quite useful as well. MusicBrainz is a website that tries to help people make sure their files are tagged correctly. dBpoweramp can select from multiple sources for it's tagging information, MusicBrainz is one of the choices and the one I rely on the most.

I'd say do some research before you start ripping a lot of discs. And the most important thing is to BACK UP YOUR FILES, preferably on at least one external hard drive that you turn off except for when you are backing up to it. I have multiple hard drives in multiple locations as I have spent thousands of hours ripping and tagging.  You don't want a virus or a hard drive crash to cause you to start over. :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #7,874 of 17,482
Regards
Somnath
I would highly recommend dBpoweramp for ripping. You can do way more with it and it's actually more acurate. Only drawback is it's not free if you really want to make use of it. Well worth every cent. I also use mp3tag to touch up and finalize my tags. It's free and nothing beats it. Both programs have some learning curves but once you understand them it's a piece of cake. Also dBpoweramp will do all the tags for you. You can check and change them then ok the rip. Album art also. You can also rip to flac and mp3 at the same time and tell it where to put each type.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #7,875 of 17,482
It seems to have some problems that force people to use folders to navigate. Clicking on an artist doesn't bring up albums by that artist or am I misinformed? Can you play more than one album at a time? Slightly different topic but does it support replaygain? Also is gapless working for mp3 and flac? I'm still considering one but there are some things that I really don't want to give up. Right now I'm enjoying a rockboxed ipod 1st gen nano line level out to the E11 amp to my Westone UM2 in the ear phones. Crazy setup but works very nice. Also just got a sansa clip zip to play with. Pretty amazing for the money and it does everything I want. Not for critical listening but good for most uses. Ok sound quality, adding rockbox to see if it improves. It would be nice if they came out with a rockbox version for the X3.Sorry about the off topic but I think I wrapped it back in at the end. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back