The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,831 of 17,484
  Sandisk have a 128GB microSDXC card developed (spoke to a Samsung representative a while ago), unfortunately there is no confirmed ETA for that card.
The Microdia cards (when original) seem to be rebranded Samsung cards, no clue whether the 128GB cards on Amazon are legit, the price suggests they might be fake.

Good to know. I'll keep an eye out on the US/Canadian amazon sites, and see if they pop up there. At least if they're fake it'll be easier to return.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #7,832 of 17,484
There are 128gb SDXC cards already but not Micro SDXC.

Ok another note, my FiiO X3 is arriving tomorrow. Getting really excited! :D

Sent from my baked potato

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #7,833 of 17,484
Wow, my X3 is in a foul mood today. After months of trouble free use, now it doesn't want to do anything right. It will only play 1 song at a time - have to press the "next" button to listen to a whole album. The database update isn't finding all the music or just freezing completely (yes I did try deleting the db). And I've even had it freeze just trying to shut it off. Rolled back to earlier firmware versions, but no joy. I'm almost thinking about permanently mounting a paperclip to the reset hole. I hope the Fiio engineers are working double time to get the new firmware out this month.
Cheers

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #7,834 of 17,484
  Wow, my X3 is in a foul mood today. After months of trouble free use, now it doesn't want to do anything right. It will only play 1 song at a time - have to press the "next" button to listen to a whole album. The database update isn't finding all the music or just freezing completely (yes I did try deleting the db). And I've even had it freeze just trying to shut it off. Rolled back to earlier firmware versions, but no joy. I'm almost thinking about permanently mounting a paperclip to the reset hole. I hope the Fiio engineers are working double time to get the new firmware out this month.
Cheers

Is there an ETA for firmware this month?

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #7,835 of 17,484
  Is there an ETA for firmware this month?

Fiio never did set a date, they just said that if they can't get it out by the end of this month we probably won't get one till after Chinese New Year - March....
Here's hoping 
redface.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7,837 of 17,484
Cheers

I had this happen and ended up turning off gapless and have been issue free again

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #7,838 of 17,484
I had this happen and ended up turning off gapless and have been issue free again

I think the problem was just 1 or more corrupted/wrong files. It always would freeze trying to do a library update. I switched to my other Sd card and boom, update successful. Either that or my X3 was getting jealous cause I've been using my ipod
biggrin.gif

Question for Fiio: How come when I format using the X3 I need to scan & fix the card before I can use it on my Win 7 laptop? 

Sing while you may.....

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #7,839 of 17,484

Question for Fiio: How come when I format using the X3 I need to scan & fix the card before I can use it on my Win 7 laptop? 

Sing while you may.....

It is because you did not use Windows's 'safely remove hardware' option. Since you didn't use that option, Windows then wants to do a scan and fix.

FAT32 drives, and the type of device that the FiiO X3 is makes 'safely remove hardware' pretty much un-needed. It's a relic(but useful) of the old days.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #7,840 of 17,484
  It is because you did not use Windows's 'safely remove hardware' option. Since you didn't use that option, Windows then wants to do a scan and fix.

FAT32 drives, and the type of device that the FiiO X3 is makes 'safely remove hardware' pretty much un-needed. It's a relic(but useful) of the old days.

Actually my X3 wasn't even connected to my PC when I did the format. After I formatted the card I ejected it and stuck it into the card reader on my laptop and that's when I got the message. When I use the reader I always (almost) do a proper eject, and hardly ever do any file transfers over USB - just too damn slow. The only time I even plug my X3 in is if I'm using the DAC.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #7,841 of 17,484
  Actually my X3 wasn't even connected to my PC when I did the format. After I formatted the card I ejected it and stuck it into the card reader on my laptop and that's when I got the message. When I use the reader I always (almost) do a proper eject, and hardly ever do any file transfers over USB - just too damn slow. The only time I even plug my X3 in is if I'm using the DAC.

I believe it also has to deal with 'changes' in a storage carrying device or if its new and not factory new. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #7,842 of 17,484
  Spent some time today with the X3 on my Man Cave system. Sad to say I wasn't very happy. I was using the line out into my Millett that I am using as a pre, feeding into my  amps and that mid bass hump was very annoying. I can eq it out, but then any other source I hook up is out of whack.
This was only my first attempt as my usual preamp is in use by a friend right now, so I will reserve my opinion until I have tried the X3 with it.
I forgot how much output the X3 lineout has and it caught me off guard compared to my Clip Zip
basshead.gif

Rick

So glad to hear someone else point out the midbass hump that is so prevalent through the line out.  I noticed it's nowhere near as pronounced through the headphoneout.  Unfortunately, the line out was the main reason I bought the X3 in the first place. 

Has FiiO ever given an explanation for the cause of it? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #7,843 of 17,484
Hmmm... I've run into a few MP3's that will play normally on my Clip, my phone, even my laptop with no issue but the X3 says "Unsupported".  I've checked the files using MP3 Scan + Repair and had the files rebuilt to fix any issues and same problem.  Is there any other way to 'fix' the MP3s so that they work well?

Do they have oversized album art embedded into them by any chance?

Sing while you may.....

There is some incompatibility between the X3 formatting and windows. Hoping to get it fixed in the coming update :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #7,844 of 17,484
  Not enough pictures in this thread...

The 3M Dual Lock is a little high as we can't get the low profile stuff here in Canada...
Now if someone wanted to send me a chunk of the stuff, it would make this much nicer! 
biggrin.gif

I wonder how they compare to the 8.35d. the german took a bass boost from fiio really well and has some of the best bass around. How much does the fiio e12 help any way. the x3 is pretty loud as it is and the amp sounds decent to me. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #7,845 of 17,484

So glad to hear someone else point out the midbass hump that is so prevalent through the line out.  I noticed it's nowhere near as pronounced through the headphoneout.  Unfortunately, the line out was the main reason I bought the X3 in the first place. 

Has FiiO ever given an explanation for the cause of it? 

From Hi-Fi World - January  2014 issue

"The Line output is unaffected by the volume control, having a fixed output of 1.7V and similar performance to the headphone output. This is suitable for driving a hi-fi amplifier."

FiiO X3 PORTABLE, HIGH RESOLUTION, DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER

All measurements were made with our Rohde&Schwarz UPV

fifo-x3-24bit-fr1.jpg

Damned if I can explain it.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back