The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #7,771 of 17,484
  Hi Guys,

Anyone knows anything about terrible DAC performance when plugged into USB 3.0 (as quoted above) or is it just my pc? :frowning2:

i'll try this either tonight, or tomorrow. (might not have time today, as i'm celebrating my 23rd year on this here planet)

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #7,772 of 17,484
  Hi Guys,

Anyone knows anything about terrible DAC performance when plugged into USB 3.0 (as quoted above) or is it just my pc? :frowning2:

Makes no difference for me, USB 3.0 (Renesas Controller) works perfectly fine with X3 DAC functionality on my AMD system.
Make sure you are using the latest FW 2.1, 2.05 didn't work properly for me (clicks and pops).

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,774 of 17,484
WHEW!! I did it! All 519 pages. I got through about 300 before I ordered mine. It showed up a few days ago and have been listening to it while reading.
I am very happy. I opened the box, charged it, upgraded the firmware, removed the mSD card from my Rockboxed Clip Zip, installed it in the X3, updated library manually and after about 15 minutes was listening to music with no problems. I have a folder containing all my favorite music in mp3 that I mostly listen to on random. Then I have about 20 folders with Flac albums that are played gapless as they are either Floyd or Alan Parsons etc that require gapless, or live albums.
Again (knocks on wood) no probs so far.
I do not mind the interface at all. I've moved through Rio's and Creative Zen's, an iPod touch 3g, and my Clip Zip. I grew tired of Apple not letting me do things the way I wanted, and this interface works for me.
So to sum up, another satisfied Fiio customer.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #7,775 of 17,484
  WHEW!! I did it! All 519 pages. I got through about 300 before I ordered mine. It showed up a few days ago and have been listening to it while reading.
I am very happy. I opened the box, charged it, upgraded the firmware, removed the mSD card from my Rockboxed Clip Zip, installed it in the X3, updated library manually and after about 15 minutes was listening to music with no problems. I have a folder containing all my favorite music in mp3 that I mostly listen to on random. Then I have about 20 folders with Flac albums that are played gapless as they are either Floyd or Alan Parsons etc that require gapless, or live albums.
Again (knocks on wood) no probs so far.
I do not mind the interface at all. I've moved through Rio's and Creative Zen's, an iPod touch 3g, and my Clip Zip. I grew tired of Apple not letting me do things the way I wanted, and this interface works for me.
So to sum up, another satisfied Fiio customer.

CONGRATULATIONS man :) ......i ordered it after about 500 pages and most of outside head fi community including customers reviews in amazon too !!!!
bigsmile_face.gif
 ...didn't recive it yet because it takes 3-4 weeks to import it to my country ...i hope to get it soon .....what are u using with it ? does the resolution of the sound is better than ipod touch & sansa clip ? it is on its way already but asking out of curiosity  
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,776 of 17,484
Mmet, I mainly use mine standalone with my UE SuperFi 5pro's. I have a Millett Hybrid amp and a pair of Grado 225's, but I haven't tried them with the X3 yet.
I am using my Millett right now as a preamp in my man cave setup.
I definitely find the X3 sounds more detailed. I didn't dislike the sound of my iPod, but I wasn't a fan of all the baggage that came with it (iTunes, no eq just presets etc).
The Clip Zip has been a favorite of mine. Especially Rockboxed as others have said. I find Rockbox has its UI quirks as well, but what doesn't. It sounds great as well.
BUT, I like the lineout on the X3, the ability to use it as a standalone dac, the size( I have big hands and found the clip sometimes awkward to use) and the sound.
For $200 I find it a very nice addition to my audio toys.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #7,777 of 17,484
  Mmet, I mainly use mine standalone with my UE SuperFi 5pro's. I have a Millett Hybrid amp and a pair of Grado 225's, but I haven't tried them with the X3 yet.
I am using my Millett right now as a preamp in my man cave setup.
I definitely find the X3 sounds more detailed. I didn't dislike the sound of my iPod, but I wasn't a fan of all the baggage that came with it (iTunes, no eq just presets etc).
The Clip Zip has been a favorite of mine. Especially Rockboxed as others have said. I find Rockbox has its UI quirks as well, but what doesn't. It sounds great as well.
BUT, I like the lineout on the X3, the ability to use it as a standalone dac, the size( I have big hands and found the clip sometimes awkward to use) and the sound.
For $200 I find it a very nice addition to my audio toys.

thanks ....and keep enjoying
smile_phones.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #7,778 of 17,484
  WHEW!! I did it! All 519 pages. I got through about 300 before I ordered mine. I

CONGRATULATIONS man :) ......i ordered it after about 500 pages and most of outside head fi community including customers reviews in amazon too !!!!

How the hell do you guys do it? I mean sure, I've read most of this thread as well, but if I was to come onto this thread as it was now. There is not a chance in panda-hell that I would read even 100 of it.

I would read the first 2-3 pages, and then use the search function to get more info, then some bit of google, a bit more of head-fi research (which usually comes back to the 'main' device thread), and then the product pages, and then sales pages and boom. That's how I get my stuff ordered and done.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #7,781 of 17,484
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #7,782 of 17,484
It's not easy. I get kind of obsessive about things and need to find out all I can about something.
Don't get me wrong, some of the things posted dragged on too far sometimes, but I think it has made my
use of the X3 so trouble free for me. I learned a lot before I got it, so when the X3 showed up I was ready.
AND...loving it!

Rick

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #7,783 of 17,484
  It's not easy. I get kind of obsessive about things and need to find out all I can about something.
Don't get me wrong, some of the things posted dragged on too far sometimes, but I think it has made my
use of the X3 so trouble free for me. I learned a lot before I got it, so when the X3 showed up I was ready.
AND...loving it!

Rick

i absolutely agree ...it is kinda obsessive .....but it is enjoyable for me as i love audio gadgets .....one of my pleasures to read the forums here specially portable audio things as there is no audio meetings here in my country so i find my self here in reading posts ...not the posts on x3 only ....many forums I've red completely before... here and in ABI forums also

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #7,785 of 17,484
  actually ive red this forum alone 2 or 3 times
biggrin.gif
 ....but i am here from the beginning of that forum ....and actually following the x3 project from the early beginning !! and i red the entire forum of th dx50 also !!! except about the last 50 pages or so !!!

Did you also buy a DX50? If not, what made you choose the X3 over the DX50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back