The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 23, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #13,277 of 17,484
I've got a 5.5 Gen iPod with SD mod but rarely use it anymore. I'm thinking of putting some ALAC files on there and giving it a spin now that it's getting mentioned, though :wink:.

I did this a while ago and was really surprised how much I didn't like it. The sound felt dead to me. Might try it again just to confirm or to see if I'm going mental.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #13,278 of 17,484
I did this a while ago and was really surprised how much I didn't like it. The sound felt dead to me. Might try it again just to confirm or to see if I'm going mental.

Rockboxed and with well mastered albums in FLAC it still sounds good IMHO. Try some Steely Dan or Donald Fagen. Gaucho sounds awesome. Using the line out that is. The headphone out is inferior.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #13,279 of 17,484

If you are poking around for a good deal you should be warned that there are many opportunities to buy fake 128 GB cards. So far Sandisk is the only manufacturer of 128 GB microSDXC cards and buying from Amazon and NOT an Amazon reseller is pretty safe. Good luck with your search.

The very first thing I'd do is fill it with completely with FLAC from my PC, so I'll if it is fake, I'd find out right away. But I plan to stick to Sandisk. Just so spendy!

Amazon currently has the new Sandisk version for $177 but they still offer the old version for less than $120. The difference is the speed of the card and the old card is fast enough in my experience. (I have a few of them)

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #13,280 of 17,484
  Amazon currently has the new Sandisk version for $177 but they still offer the old version for less than $120. The difference is the speed of the card and the old card is fast enough in my experience. (I have a few of them)

I just decided to keep mine.  I found one on eBay claiming to be genuine but it's the style of the 64GB card which SanDisk didn't do so I'm sure its a fake.  I just don't understand how they get away with selling fake stuff.

The 64GB cards are only worth $25-30 and I can't justify 4x price for 2x space.  I only have 75GB of FLAC so I'll be fine for awhile.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #13,281 of 17,484
  Not that I need to use the DAC function on the FiiO X3... but when I plug it in with the dac function, it says 0khz/24bit and not recognized by my computer. However I can still use the storage function... My guess is that the X3 has to be 100% charged for the DAC to function... I don't know, but it seems like I'm just left with an overpriced X1 if the DAC function doesn't work.

Did you only plug the X3 in with DAC mode or did you also install the driver software if you're using Windows?

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #13,282 of 17,484
Rockboxed and with well mastered albums in FLAC it still sounds good IMHO. Try some Steely Dan or Donald Fagen. Gaucho sounds awesome. Using the line out that is. The headphone out is inferior.

I never use headphone out. It's usually line out to the FiiO e12 or HA-1 or Pan Am with various headphones.

Just used the iPod classic (120gb) line out to my Oppo HA-1 vs the FiiO X5 line out to the HA-1 using Audeze LCD-XC headphones with balanced cable. The difference for me stands. The iPod sounds dead in comparison to the X5. To me there is a veil over the tracks and there is a lack of dynamics represented in the tracks. The X5 sounds lively and full with a lot of dynamic realism. For me there is a lack of texture and clarity from the iPod. I can clearly hear it. While I agree the amp in the iPod is very weak I feel the DAC implementation is also poor. Rockbox can't fix it, and to be honest I must be the only person who doesn't like the Rockbox interface.

Tested with the best masters of Brothers In Arms (original 1985 release), The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Depeche Mode Black Celebration, ZZ Top Tres Hombres, and Led Zeppelin (various albums), and random classical tracks. All songs ripped from REDBOOK CD 16/44.1 ALAC. I feel that mastering is the #1 deciding factor in track quality but the iPod just doesn't make it shine for me.

Sorry for derailing the X3 thread, just sharing my opinion on the iPod. YMMV. :wink:

Cheers

Edit: To keep it relevant I would say that the X3 is a step behind the X5 but about 8 steps ahead of the iPod.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #13,283 of 17,484
I never use headphone out. It's usually line out to the FiiO e12 or HA-1 or Pan Am with various headphones.

Just used the iPod classic (120gb) line out to my Oppo HA-1 vs the FiiO X5 line out to the HA-1 using Audeze LCD-XC headphones with balanced cable. The difference for me stands. The iPod sounds dead in comparison to the X5. To me there is a veil over the tracks and there is a lack of dynamics represented in the tracks. The X5 sounds lively and full with a lot of dynamic realism. For me there is a lack of texture and clarity from the iPod. I can clearly hear it. While I agree the amp in the iPod is very weak I feel the DAC implementation is also poor. Rockbox can't fix it, and to be honest I must be the only person who doesn't like the Rockbox interface.

Tested with the best masters of Brothers In Arms (original 1985 release), The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Depeche Mode Black Celebration, ZZ Top Tres Hombres, and Led Zeppelin (various albums), and random classical tracks. All songs ripped from REDBOOK CD 16/44.1 ALAC. I feel that mastering is the #1 deciding factor in track quality but the iPod just doesn't make it shine for me.

Sorry for derailing the X3 thread, just sharing my opinion on the iPod. YMMV.
wink.gif

Cheers

Edit: To keep it relevant I would say that the X3 is a step behind the X5 but about 8 steps ahead of the iPod.

No doubt the X3 is superior to the iPod Classic however I was referring specifically to the 5th and 5.5th gen iPod Classic. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

I'm probably still emotionally attached to the iPod Classic as coupled with an iBasso D6 it was my 1st rig that I put together in 2011 so I'm undoubtedly bias.
happy_face1.gif

Can't bring myself to sell them.

Back on topic I have the X3,X5,E12 and HS6 and will grab the X7. Trying to get hold of a E12 DIY as well ATM. Definitely becoming a FIIO fanboy!!

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #13,284 of 17,484
No doubt the X3 is superior to the iPod Classic however I was referring specifically to the 5th and 5.5th gen iPod Classic. Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

I'm probably still emotionally attached to the iPod Classic as coupled with an iBasso D6 it was my 1st rig that I put together in 2011 so I'm undoubtedly bias.:happy_face1:  

Can't bring myself to sell them.

Back on topic I have the X3,X5,E12 and HS6 and will grab the X7. Trying to get hold of a E12 DIY as well ATM. Definitely becoming a FIIO fanboy!!

I can appreciate that. The 5 classic with the Wolfson DAC was a great unit in its day. Too bad they didn't stick with the formula for the other 'classics'. FiiO has certainly stepped it up as of late and I can't wait to demo the X7.

Cheers

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #13,285 of 17,484
  I have both the X5 and X3. I kept my rockboxed 5.5 gen iPod Video for nostalgia. Having said that I still use it from time to time paired with my NAD Viso HP50's or DUNU DN-1000 as the implementation of Wolfson WM87588G DAC on this model is not too shabby at all. Nice warm sound.

I've read that the iPod Video 5.5 was, according to some, the best sounding iPod. But yes with a good amp I'm sure it would sound quite good.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #13,287 of 17,484

Did you only plug the X3 in with DAC mode or did you also install the driver software if you're using Windows?

Welp... seems like the firmware doesn't work for Windows 8.1.
Worked well when I had Windows 7 though.

Error "C:\Users\User\Appdata\Local\Temp\nsi88A2.tmp\nss8932.tmp" cnep
"'C:\Program Files\FiiO X3 Driver\TUSBAudioCpl.exe' -hide" did not return within 30000ms.

Looks like I'll have to send in this error to FiiO >.>

Edit:
What the heck LOL
The X3 doesn't like one of my USB 2.0 ports, but my FiiO E07K likes it... I just switched them around it both devices work @_@
False alarm

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #13,288 of 17,484

Welp... seems like the firmware doesn't work for Windows 8.1.
Worked well when I had Windows 7 though.

Error "C:\Users\User\Appdata\Local\Temp\nsi88A2.tmp\nss8932.tmp" cnep
"'C:\Program Files\FiiO X3 Driver\TUSBAudioCpl.exe' -hide" did not return within 30000ms.

Looks like I'll have to send in this error to FiiO >.>

I can confirm that it does work with Windows 8.1 64-bit. You have do boot with 'PC Settings, Update & Recovery, Advanced Setup, Restart Now' and disable driver signature check or something like that while booting to install the driver.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #13,289 of 17,484

I can confirm that it does work with Windows 8.1 64-bit. You have do boot with 'PC Settings, Update & Recovery, Advanced Setup, Restart Now' and disable driver signature check or something like that while booting to install the driver.

Editted my post in regards to the troubleshoot, but in a nutshell my DAC's are picky with their ports.
i.e. one dac likes a certain usb 3.0 port, odac prefers the back of my pc, e07k likes a certain 2.0 port... yeah. Windows 8.1 is so great.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #13,290 of 17,484
quick question guys i have not been on this thread for a while ....i had the x3 about 6 months ago is sold it because of the bugs then...have the bugs totally disappeared now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back