The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #13,246 of 17,484
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #13,247 of 17,484
So - after reading comments here, I have concluded that no portable amp, when added to the fiio x3, really improves the sound quality. Not the fiio e12, not the jds c5 - not even the cayin? 

Am I misinterpreting something? Really? There is no stack of doom to be built when starting with the x3? But I wanna... I want a woman-repelling stack of "portable" audiophile gear goddammit!

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #13,249 of 17,484
"Improves" is quite subjective / prone to opinion. I feel my E12 DIY improves my X3, but that's just my opinion and is definitely influenced by my preferred sonic signature. Some people are anti-amp if you can sufficiently drive an HP directly out of a DAP Others of us prefer a different sonic signature and find that by amping.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13,250 of 17,484
  So - after reading comments here, I have concluded that no portable amp, when added to the fiio x3, really improves the sound quality. Not the fiio e12, not the jds c5 - not even the cayin? 

Am I misinterpreting something? Really? There is no stack of doom to be built when starting with the x3? But I wanna... I want a woman-repelling stack of "portable" audiophile gear goddammit!

I'm not sure why you say this... obviously it depends on the external amp and it its better than the built in amp of the X3....

Several of my amps out do the X3 amp if you want to stack... I still say the E12 does a great job with the X3/X5   it also offers other capabilities...  cross feed, bass boost and power boost...  

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #13,251 of 17,484
my RSA Intruder does...

What intruder adds to the sound ? And does the improvement is with both single & balanced outs ? And what headphones you noticed the improvement with ?
Too many questions i know :)but i want an amp that could really improve the sound quality with iems ( not just change the sound signature)....and i wonder if getting a dac/amp like leckerton or other with coax in would do the job better ?

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #13,255 of 17,484
"Improves" is quite subjective / prone to opinion. I feel my E12 DIY improves my X3, but that's just my opinion and is definitely influenced by my preferred sonic signature. Some people are anti-amp if you can sufficiently drive an HP directly out of a DAP Others of us prefer a different sonic signature and find that by amping.

I second this, except I just have the regular E12 Mont Blanc.
Both Line Out and FiiO X3 headphone out work nicely into the E12. Though it's more efficient to just have it through line-out, the E12 adds more bass oomph when I pair it with the X3's additional bass boost for whenever I want to rumble a set of cans. 
It's odd though, something about the E12 smooths out the X3 a little which sounds really nice to be honest.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #13,256 of 17,484
I just got my Fiio X3 to replace a COWON C2 and I wish I would have done it sooner!  I'm not certain I can hear a difference (perhaps, but could be placebo) but the interface improvement is worth it all day long.

I do wonder though, would I have been better with a iPod Classic + Amp using ALAC vs the X3 with FLAC.  I think I made the right choice, but nothing touches the iPod classic UI. So great.

I also recently got a pair of Sennheiser 558's (Foam strip removed).  I was impressed by the sound quality and comfort....oh man are these comfortable.  I also have a pair of M50's and I'm trying to decide if I'd be better keeping both (always need a set of closed cans) or if I'd be better with another ~$300 set of closed headphones to replace both...

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #13,257 of 17,484
  I just got my Fiio X3 to replace a COWON C2 and I wish I would have done it sooner!  I'm not certain I can hear a difference (perhaps, but could be placebo) but the interface improvement is worth it all day long.

I do wonder though, would I have been better with a iPod Classic + Amp using ALAC vs the X3 with FLAC.  I think I made the right choice, but nothing touches the iPod classic UI. So great.

I also recently got a pair of Sennheiser 558's (Foam strip removed).  I was impressed by the sound quality and comfort....oh man are these comfortable.  I also have a pair of M50's and I'm trying to decide if I'd be better keeping both (always need a set of closed cans) or if I'd be better with another ~$300 set of closed headphones to replace both...

Which Firmware are you running?

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #13,260 of 17,484

IMHO, the cmoybb does improve the X3 sound by a good margin.  Makes it more musical, effortless and engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back