The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #13,232 of 17,484
OK, intersting. So you would say that they sound different rather than one being better than the other?

Yes, seems that way but I haven't done any ab'ing yet.

One item that doesn't get mentioned much is the fact that the X3 has a " hotter " line output so it does work really well as a transport too...

Yes, good point.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #13,233 of 17,484
One item that doesn't get mentioned much is the fact that the X3 has a " hotter " line output so it does work really well as a transport too...

Depends on what you're after...

If you want to drive a home system or amp -> demanding HP, then more powerful LO is great. If however you want to drive a car system or amp -> IEM, then a less powerful LO can be beneficial.

I really like the way iBasso handled this with a powerful LO with variable volume handled by the DAC chipset. You get fantastic sound at up to 50% LO power, which provides a lot more play on your amp's volume pot for more fine-grained volume control and provides a better level for a lot of car audio systems. Then if you need powerful LO, just crank it up to full volume. The downside is, iBasso DAPs don't remember volume separately for HO vs LO, so you can implode your eardrums when switching back and forth if you're not careful.

I wish Fiio would implement this, as its one of the main reasons I keep my DX90 around. I also really like iBasso's simple controls. Fiio should take a line from Apple's playbook and steal a bit :wink:.

And yes, I do really like Fiio products. I own and enjoy X3, X5 and several of their amps. I'd just like to help them accelerate their learning curve with DAPs and more handily crush the competition :thumbsup:.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #13,234 of 17,484
you can always lower a hot LO...   but you can never add power to a cool LO...  
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #13,235 of 17,484
I have only had the X1 a few days, so my opinion could easily change in a bit of time.  Also, since to my way of thinking FIIO sound signatures are subject to change depending on firmware revisions, my comments should be taken with some grains of salt.

I will de-emphasize comments about user interface and annoyances like audible issues when playing gapless audio.  I assume the gapless problem will go away over time, and that eventually the user interface for the X3 will be improved a bit.

Having a dedicated line out is a nice feature.  On the X1, I find it annoying to constantly confirm that I want to use the line out capability.  I know that the question is there for my safety, but I find it bothersome.  I have resorted to just using the device in headphone mode even in the car, and just cranking up the volume.  That is audiophile heresy, but so be it.  I did appreciate the heads up that when display is blanked one can forward tracks by holding down the volume control.  Anyway, I did not find the difference between line out and headphone to be overly obvious in the car.  And it was nice to have access to the equalizer in the car.

In terms of overall sound signature, my initial impression is that the X1 can be perceived as being more "detailed".  It seems easier to pick out each instrument in the mix.  I played some hi res older Rod Stewart, and I was surprised how easy it was to really hear what each person was playing.  Its all there with the X3, but the sound seems to be more of a harmonious blend.  Now is that a good thing or a bad thing.....detailed versus smoothed out ?  I do not think I have a strong opinion on that yet. 

So far I think that $99 gives the customer a lot of fidelity at a modest price.  I think back on what I spent on ipods over the years, and what you get for your bucks with this unit is an order of magnitude better. 

Now the X3 has its merits, but I suspect that its sales will trail off now that the X1 is out.   As I have noted before, I expect that over time there will be an X7, and the product line will simply be the X1 and the X7. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #13,236 of 17,484
Thanks a lot for valuable input guys!

Since I really enjoy the X3 and use the lineout to amps most of the time I think I'll stay with it until something significant better that won't ruin me turns up :)

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #13,237 of 17,484
Hello wonderful X3 owners! I'm curious about anyone that has an Android device(Like a Nexus 5) with lollipop installed on it and a USB OTG cable. Does it detect the Fiio X3 in DAC mode and does it play all sound including music with any of the apps you have?

*Also posting this question on the X5 thread*

Thank you!

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #13,238 of 17,484
  Hello wonderful X3 owners! I'm curious about anyone that has an Android device(Like a Nexus 5) with lollipop installed on it and a USB OTG cable. Does it detect the Fiio X3 in DAC mode and does it play all sound including music with any of the apps you have?

The X3 DAC works with the special App = USB Audio Player Pro, I would be interested too if with Android L, got this limitation changed.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #13,239 of 17,484
Haaa I have Nexus 5 with 4.4.4 and tested the x3 as DAC and nothing happened, with  Poweramp.
I realize that the N5 is OTG enabled but without any software driver preloaded on the 4.4.4 and still needs a software interface with OTG helpers like ES explorer for files, or USB Audio player pro for music !!.
I will try that applicaiton, thanks for sharing it !!

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #13,241 of 17,484
Quick question;

I have never used the internal storage and looking at it today it has what looks like system files and directories on it - is this right.

.fseventsd
.spotlight-v100
.temoraryitems
.trashes

Can you hide these so just music directories/files show??

Cheers.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #13,242 of 17,484
Quick question;

I have never used the internal storage and looking at it today it has what looks like system files and directories on it - is this right.

.fseventsd
.spotlight-v100
.temoraryitems
.trashes

Can you hide these so just music directories/files show??

Cheers.

Those look like hidden OS X files that show up on the X3 after ejecting the unit. If that's the case you should use a program like 'Eject For Windows' to eject the X3 and it will clean up these extra files. I use it with my X5 and haven't had a problem.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #13,243 of 17,484
Those look like hidden OS X files that show up on the X3 after ejecting the unit. If that's the case you should use a program like 'Eject For Windows' to eject the X3 and it will clean up these extra files. I use it with my X5 and haven't had a problem.

Many thanks for your prompt reply x RELIC x.

Oh. I did buy this unit 2nd hand so obviously the guy had a Mac. I'm using Windows 7 so could I delete these files??

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #13,244 of 17,484
Many thanks for your prompt reply x RELIC x.

Oh. I did buy this unit 2nd hand so obviously the guy had a Mac. I'm using Windows 7 so could I delete these files??

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it will be fine to delete them. You should just see the music folders and files.

I recognize most of those files from OS X, but just in case you should copy them first so if things go wrong after deleting them you can put them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back