The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #13,291 of 17,484
Yes it still has some bugs, according to this thread.
Anyway I'm using it with fw 3.2 beta and zero complains,  I do not use any additional  feature or stuble setting, just a very basic functionality, I'm using it for playing FLAC files (as stand alone player and as a DAC with Mac), and it does very well, flawless, and rock solid, according to my use.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #13,292 of 17,484
  Yes it still has some bugs, according to this thread.
Anyway I'm using it with fw 3.2 beta and zero complains,  I do not use any additional  feature or stuble setting, just a very basic functionality, I'm using it for playing FLAC files (as stand alone player and as a DAC with Mac), and it does very well, flawless, and rock solid, according to my use.

Same.  I haven't run into any issues with fw 3.2 beta.  I'm still waiting for the album art un-cropping fix and playlist support, though.  And replaygain would be nice.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #13,294 of 17,484
I just purchased the X3 and love the sound quality but can't seem to figure out a few things, despite reading here and other posts I've found online.

Gapless Playback
Even with gapless on I still have gaps. Trying to play 16bit FLAC files, which are live concerts. I seelect the folder/file and play and the gaps pop up between tracks.  It sounds exactly the same when gapless is off, or on.

Album view
All of the FLAC files I'm trying to play are tagged with song/album info.  The song/album info appears on the screen when playing, but none of the shows are listed in the Albums section.  Only in the folder view. Why?

It looks like my X3 came with firmware version 3.02 according to the info within Settings.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #13,295 of 17,484
I just purchased the X3 and love the sound quality but can't seem to figure out a few things, despite reading here and other posts I've found online.

Gapless Playback
Even with gapless on I still have gaps. Trying to play 16bit FLAC files, which are live concerts. I seelect the folder/file and play and the gaps pop up between tracks.  It sounds exactly the same when gapless is off, or on.

Album view
All of the FLAC files I'm trying to play are tagged with song/album info.  The song/album info appears on the screen when playing, but none of the shows are listed in the Albums section.  Only in the folder view. Why?

It looks like my X3 came with firmware version 3.02 according to the info within Settings.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Perhaps you can update the library to see the album category view. This may also fix the gapless issue.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #13,297 of 17,484
Try to install USB Audio Player Pro trial on Android phone to use the X3 as a USB DAC. Maybe it works, this app can handle a ton of USB DACs on Android phones.

Not all album arts showing properly and gapeless still having a small gap on flac files as mentioned above are the only ones I can think of.

The album art issue is most certainly due to them having to big size but I'm to lazy to do anything about it :wink:

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #13,299 of 17,484
Think I got it, thanks!  Didn't realize I had to update the library after making the change to gapless and it seems to work now.  Songs transition as they should.

The only flaw I see is track names not being displayed in Album view.

Example:
I can go onto Artist view
Select "Greensky Bluegrass" and see the 3 albums (concerts) under that Artist
The one I'm looking at displays the proper tag "2014-09-26 Orange Peel, Asheville, NC  ak40"
When I select that Album it still shows me the actual file names (ex greenskybluegrass2014.09.26.s01.t01.flac") instead of track name "Just To Lie"
When I select that track to play the player screen does show

Just To Lie
Greesnky Bluegrass
FLAC 44.1KHz/16Bits

Why can't it just show the track titles, instead of file name, especially in Album view.  I would expect file names when in Folder/File view.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #13,300 of 17,484
  What bugs are still there?

Gapless, and artwork are the 2 big(?) ones. Even with them it's tolerable. A small click between tracks even with gapless mode on. Plus, the artwork is cropped. I think this is because it's trying to show the artwork at X5 resolution (320x240) instead of 240x320. It all happened when Fiio redid the firmware based off the X5. Personally I find them to be minor quibbles, but they are on the 'to be fixed' list.

Think I got it, thanks!  Didn't realize I had to update the library after making the change to gapless and it seems to work now.  Songs transition as they should.

Example:
The one I'm looking at displays the proper tag "2014-09-26 Orange Peel, Asheville, NC  ak40"
When I select that Album it still shows me the actual file names (ex greenskybluegrass2014.09.26.s01.t01.flac") instead of track name "Just To Lie"

Just To Lie
Greesnky Bluegrass
FLAC 44.1KHz/16Bits

Why can't it just show the track titles, instead of file name, especially in Album view.  I would expect file names when in Folder/File view.

If I follow what you're saying, that's just they way it works. Same thing with the display at the bottom of the playing screen. Shows the file name instead of the id3 song title. Not sure if that's anything that'll get fixed in the future

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #13,302 of 17,484

Example:

Just To Lie
Greesnky Bluegrass
FLAC 44.1KHz/16Bits

You need to update the library every time you add a file to the card. You can set it to automatically do this so you don't forget. Happened to me a couple times with my X3 before I sold it and also with the X5. Oops! But it happens, so no worries.

The way the category browser and folder browsers works is it just reads the name of the file. The information displays the tag info as far as I know. FiiO is still young at DAP coding and tags have been a weak point. I'll galddly stick with them for the sound quality though.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back