The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #12,754 of 17,484
Ahhh, thank you. I can breath a bit better.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #12,755 of 17,484
I went back to 3.0 from the 3.2...

Damn I am really starting to get tired and fed up of FiiO jerking around with the sound of this unit, now they piss around with the sound of the Line Out, where did all that treble come from?

This weekend I'm going to post this in the FS section and see if someone will trade me for a DX50...

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #12,756 of 17,484
  I went back to 3.0 from the 3.2...

Damn I am really starting to get tired and fed up of FiiO jerking around with the sound of this unit, now they piss around with the sound of the Line Out, where did all that treble come from?

This weekend I'm going to post this in the FS section and see if someone will trade me for a DX50...

DX50 may give you the SQ that you desire but the amp output is weaker.
Also, their firmware upgrade could alter the sound signature just like what you are having now with Fiio's.

FW3.2 is actually more buggy. You can always remain at FW3.0 if you are happy with the warmer sound signature, plus the more stable performance, 

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #12,757 of 17,484
Also, their firmware upgrade could alter the sound signature just like what you are having now with Fiio's.

FW3.2 is actually more buggy. You can always remain at FW3.0 if you are happy with the warmer sound signature, plus the more stable performance, 

Agree. Stay with 3.0 for now.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #12,758 of 17,484

I am just getting tired of all the changes that get randomly thrown into the X3, I have no problem with the DX50's output as the E12 will look after that issue.

So if one buys a new X3 with the 3.2FW and the sharp Line Out (I use my LO every day) you would have to live with it or actually roll the FW back to a previous version for better sound... This is starting to get a little much, what will the next FW bring?

"We fixed the Album Art, put the bass and treble controls back in the mini menu and got rid of the 5800 file limit... But the HO has too much treble now and the LO has extra bass."

With the mention of the 3.2FW possibly not working on our older X3's there is a dark cloud looming on the horizon that we are going to get the shaft on fixes once the X3 V2 comes out.... Sounds to me like it is time to get off this X3 sinking ship.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #12,759 of 17,484
It's pretty much always comedown to a simple question.  Does the good outweigh the bad enough to stay with it, or try something else that might be better, or might be worse.  It can be a really tough question to answer sometimes.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #12,761 of 17,484

I am just getting tired of all the changes that get randomly thrown into the X3, I have no problem with the DX50's output as the E12 will look after that issue.

So if one buys a new X3 with the 3.2FW and the sharp Line Out (I use my LO every day) you would have to live with it or actually roll the FW back to a previous version for better sound... This is starting to get a little much, what will the next FW bring?

"We fixed the Album Art, put the bass and treble controls back in the mini menu and got rid of the 5800 file limit... But the HO has too much treble now and the LO has extra bass."

With the mention of the 3.2FW possibly not working on our older X3's there is a dark cloud looming on the horizon that we are going to get the shaft on fixes once the X3 V2 comes out.... Sounds to me like it is time to get off this X3 sinking ship.

Who put a gun to your head and told you to upgrade to 3.2? I haven't tried the not yet officially released  3.2 myself and I'm not whining about it.
It would be swell if you could calm yourself down or switch to something else. So much drama. I realize by your name that a lot of this is sarcasm, but it's dull already.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #12,762 of 17,484
When a product stops getting support - which is going to happen at some time, it doesn't mean it stops working.

You have a choice of FW. Use the one that suits you best.
I think there will be at least one more official update to being it into line with the X5, but it is possible that the X3 processor won't handle playlists, just as the software EQ proved too demanding for it.
Without these features, it doesn't suddenly become a bad player...

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #12,763 of 17,484
When a product stops getting support - which is going to happen at some time, it doesn't mean it stops working.

You have a choice of FW. Use the one that suits you best.
I think there will be at least one more official update to bring it into line with the X5, but it is possible that the X3 processor won't handle playlists, just as the software EQ proved too demanding for it.
Without these features, it doesn't suddenly become a bad player...

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #12,765 of 17,484
  Who put a gun to your head and told you to upgrade to 3.2? I haven't tried the not yet officially released  3.2 myself and I'm not whining about it.
It would be swell if you could calm yourself down or switch to something else. So much drama. I realize by your name that a lot of this is sarcasm, but it's dull already.

+1. Probably time to move on and good luck with the DX50...

My guess is that FiiO, now that they have the X1 which covers the 'warmish and smooth sound signature', is trying a brighter sound signature on the X3 (which is what many X3 owners have requested) and gaugeing how it shakes with the customer base. Or they really have absolutely no clue what makes their different FW revisions sound different to each other but my guess is someone knows and the information is just not disseminated to everyone involved.

Since both 3.0Ex and 3.2 have proven to be pretty stable for me I welcome the variation in sound signature as it gives users a choice and neither sound bad just different.
With the right headphones 3.2 doesn't sound less 'refined' there's actually more prominent and refined treble but I can see how it might be too bright for some as there are those who experience a rolled-off sound signature as smooth and/or refined (treble aversion syndrome). After all that's what Hifiman advertised with on their first DAP (it was just rolled-off in the highs and that was sold as a audiophile feature). People are funny like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back