The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #12,766 of 17,484

So if one buys a new X3 with the 3.2FW and the sharp Line Out (I use my LO every day) you would have to live with it or actually roll the FW back to a previous version for better sound... This is starting to get a little much, what will the next FW bring?

I don't think you have to worry about that any time soon.  I just got my X3 (new) last weekend and it came with FW 2.1 on it and I bet that will be the case for every X3 a long time to come. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #12,767 of 17,484
Haven´t heard the line-out with 3.20 yet... but if it´s true that FiiO changed the sonic signature of the line-out... then that isn´t a good thing as it was extremely balanced before on all firmwares.

Regarding the headphone out, it now actually sounds more balanced. I´ve always said that the X3 sounded as if someone built in a slight treble boost for frequencies above 10 kHz yet frequencies from 6,000 - 10,000 Hz felt a tiny bit diminished. With 3.20, all of that seems to be gone. Still have to measure this newest firmware version...

These sound changes with firmware updates are indeed a bit tiresome. In my personal opinion, FiiO should have stayed with the sound of 3.00: not perfectly balanced but very characteristic and tasteful and overall very, very good.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #12,768 of 17,484
Listening to the X3 LO going into my FiiO E12 DIY (standard config) at the moment and can't really say I find anything wrong with it, there's very little if any difference between 3.0 and 3.2 to my ears. The top end is present but not overbearing at all. Maybe treble-heavy headphones could change that balance but that would be due to the fact that they are - treble-heavy...
wink.gif

For people who are unhappy with the HO's perceived treble quantity - try high gain mode (turn the volume down first!!) and see it that works better with your headphones/IEMs. Using the treble/bass sliders might also prove to be beneficial...

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #12,769 of 17,484

With the right headphones 3.2 doesn't sound less 'refined' there's actually more prominent and refined treble but I can see how it might be too bright for some as there are those who experience a rolled-off sound signature as smooth and/or refined (treble aversion syndrome). 

+1 I think the headphone out is indeed more refined. Just the LO seems to be different in comparison. 
I think it's a good thing Fiio keeps on improving the sound. After all, it's not an "official" download on their website. Just more or less test material for us geeks.
Or am i wrong? 

Curious what amp you use the line out to?

Car, home equipment, studio. It's my portable main device to test music on the go. I use it as a dac to sometimes with my macbook.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #12,770 of 17,484

With the mention of the 3.2FW possibly not working on our older X3's there is a dark cloud looming on the horizon that we are going to get the shaft on fixes once the X3 V2 comes out.... Sounds to me like it is time to get off this X3 sinking ship.

Mine sure is one from the very firsts X3s, It came inside the old white box and with FW 1.X loaded, and it works fine the version 3.2, so far, I can't tell about the LO since I do not use it.
Mmm I'm not sure this is final version, think we are beta testers until it is published on the web site. Someone commented it seems that it came preloaded on some new units by mistake.

Anyway I've pulled the trigger on the X3 over the DX50 because I've read tons of complains about the FW on the DX50, and I liked very much the presence "used to have here" the guys from Fiio.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #12,771 of 17,484
  Listening to the X3 LO going into my FiiO E12 DIY (standard config) at the moment and can't really say I find anything wrong with it, there's very little if any difference between 3.0 and 3.2 to my ears. The top end is present but not overbearing at all. Maybe treble-heavy headphones could change that balance but that would be due to the fact that they are - treble-heavy...
wink.gif

I also did some listening from the X3 LO going into my Cayin C5 yesterday and didn't notice much difference if any at all. Certainly nothing that bothered me anyway.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #12,772 of 17,484
  Who put a gun to your head and told you to upgrade to 3.2? I haven't tried the not yet officially released  3.2 myself and I'm not whining about it.
It would be swell if you could calm yourself down or switch to something else. So much drama. I realize by your name that a lot of this is sarcasm, but it's dull already.

Never anything forced, just trying new firmware to see if there are any fixes.

I've had the nickname of TrollDragon long before there was residential internet so it has nothing to do with your realization... And you will not find anymore "drama" from me.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #12,773 of 17,484
@trolldragon-If you like the 3.0 firmware, why not just reflash it and keep that one if you are happy? I'm happy with the firmware that came loaded on mine. I do plan on upgrading, but if I don't like I'll revert. Problem solved. Or sell it if you don't like it, hopefully the DX50 will be what you're looking for.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #12,774 of 17,484
Please note that X3 firmware version 3.20 is not "beta" firmware, it is production firmware intentionally put on the new X3s.

As for the question of new vs old X3s: we have not made any design changes to the X3. However, in the course of more than a year of production of the same model, we have inevitably had to make one or two implementational changes to the production of the unit, mainly relating to inevitable changes in the electronics parts supplied (since as we all know, computer electronics is such a fast moving industry that 1 year may be like an eternity for some electronic components' product lifecycles, so some parts we had been using get phased out and replaced by "functional equivalents..." that turn out not to be so equivalent...). Firmware 3.2 deals with coping with such changes and make no documented changes to the actual workings of the unit to the end user. It is however backwards compatible, as all future X3 firmware will be. Nor do these implementational changes affect the sound quality of the unit, as these are affected by analogue parts not affected by the churning computer industry, or the DAC, which remains the same on all X3s.

:)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #12,775 of 17,484
  Mine sure is one from the very firsts X3s, It came inside the old white box and with FW 1.X loaded, and it works fine the version 3.2, so far, I can't tell about the LO since I do not use it.

Same for me, everything works like a charm.
The more clarity, the better I feel!

Still waitng for the FW update to turn the buttons into a scroll wheel
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #12,776 of 17,484
Following this 3.0 vs 3.2 saga going on for a while I am getting a bit confused, if I should I try 3.2? (Currently on 3.0)
I am happy with 3.0, and I prefer stronger/better bass over more defined treble... 
Should I stay with 3.0, or you say, I should give a try to 3.2? :) 
(I am just lazy changing firmware, I guess, especially, if I have to change it back...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back