The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #10,036 of 17,484

Gentlemen, please stop discussing the limit of the numer of files x3 can store. 5800? for ****** sake, back in the days I had my first Iriver with 64MB and I was happy with it:) Let's concentrate on sq and the features of the new firmware.

i believe that the reason for this limitation has to do with the X5's limited internal memory, but as the core of the firmware is the same for both devices, this translates to the X3 as well.

as far as i know they're looking for a fix/workaround

I also doubt this 5800 song limit will ever make it to the official update to be released this month. :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 11, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #10,037 of 17,484
We are gathering requirements for what will hopefully be upcoming support for M3U playlists on the X3 and X5. We would like to hear your input on required features, specifically which existing player(s) you consider to have the best M3U support.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718328/requesting-your-input-on-m3u-playlist-support-for-x3-x5

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #10,038 of 17,484
  On a completely different note... Apple's buying Beats...

Makes sense. A mediocre company buying another mediocre company. Funny alone, that they will squeeze s**tloads of money out of that aquisition^^

BTT: Just tested FW2.1 and 2.14beta again with my wife's EOPS Noisezero O2+ (which remind me a bit of the Beats sound signature...aargh...). With these cans the sound differences of the FW's are easily recognisable. But again, the 2.1 performs to my liking.

May 11, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #10,040 of 17,484
I haven't decided which sound I prefer...  I think I'm leaning towards 2.14 currently.  It feels like it helps out with the mids more than 2.1, which is helpful with the he-400, to me at least.  I certainly love the look of the new FW too, although it is taking some getting used to.

May 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #10,044 of 17,484
I haven't checked this thread for a couple of months and I'm seeing all this talk about new firmware versions: 2.14 and 2.14b.  However, I can't seem to find them.  The latest firmware I can find on the FiiO site is 2.1. 

Can someone give me a link to them? 

Do we have a housekeeping thread for the X3 with all the various firmwares and downloads in one place? 

May 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #10,045 of 17,484
With my RE-400's I slightly prefer 2.1, but with my Audiofly AF-78's I prefer 2.14b by a large margin.

Just have to add that I think the AF-78's are an underrated and unappreciated IEM on Head-Fi especially for the price I paid for them.  New the AF-78's list for about double what the RE-400's do but I got them on sale brand new for less than what the RE-400's list for and they are, with my X3 much better sounding IEM's in my opinion, no comparison. I know this fly s in the face of what most would and have said here and I really can't understand this, because to my ears there really is no comparison. Yes the AF-78's are not as comfortable, they don't do deep insertion which I much prefer, and there is really no way to wear them over the ear to reduce their considerable microphonics, I just use the shirt clip, and their carrying tin is laughably small to comfortably fit the IEM's, but the sound once they are fully broken in is so superior to the RE-400's in almost every respect and I don't really think that this is just a matter of preference. I have been an audiophile for a long, long time, but into high quality portable audio for a much shorter period of time and I can say that the Audiofly phones sound much, much more like a hi-end two channel home stereo than the RE-400's. Instruments just have much better tonal quality on the AF-78's, the bass is full with impact but not over done and they render reverb and acoustical spatial information that exists on recordings much more convincingly, and there is just simply a level of refinement in the overall sound of the AF-78's that the RE-400's just don't have. I know that some have mentioned that there is just something not quite right with the mid-range rendering of the top tier Audiofly's and I admit to having heard that before break-in but that characteristic is totally absent now.

In any event enough of my off topic ramblings, but if you have the opportunity to audition a pair of Audiofly AF-78's, fully broken in, you may just be pleasantly surprised. They are a solid bargain even at full list and an absolute steel at the price I paid for them. I have interest in many other IEM's and [size=x-small]I still plan on picking up a pair of the Dunu DN-1000 or 2000 and perhaps a pair of Vsonic GR-07BE's to expand the [/size]collection[size=x-small] and to broaden my spectrum of sound.[/size]

[size=x-small]And just for the record no, I do not have any affiliation with Audiofly or any other electronics company for that matter.[/size]

May 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #10,046 of 17,484
I am unaware of any 64 GB card issue, I have had no problems with either my 64 GB or 128 GB cards. Are you thinking about the manual saying use a 32 GB card or smaller to update the firmware? If so you should know many of us have ignored this advice and had no problems. But look up how much an 8 GB card is on Amazon, they are like $7.50, buy one and be safe. You'll enjoy your X3, it's a great device.

I was referring to how 64GB cards cannot be recognized by the X3 at all, which was an issue from the start. Happened to me during the test as the demo set is on 1.23. I guess the later patches must have helped in your case.

May 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #10,050 of 17,484

I am unaware of any 64 GB card issue, I have had no problems with either my 64 GB or 128 GB cards. Are you thinking about the manual saying use a 32 GB card or smaller to update the firmware? If so you should know many of us have ignored this advice and had no problems. But look up how much an 8 GB card is on Amazon, they are like $7.50, buy one and be safe. You'll enjoy your X3, it's a great device.

I was referring to how 64GB cards cannot be recognized by the X3 at all, which was an issue from the start. Happened to me during the test as the demo set is on 1.23. I guess the later patches must have helped in your case.

I bought my X3 with a 64 GB card in a package deal. It had a very early version of the OS. I have no idea what you are referring to and have never heard anyone else mention it. So yeah, it must have been those later patches that fixed my no problem with earlier versions thang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back