The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #10,054 of 17,484
  Indeed, no issues at all with a 64GB Sandisk.

Hmm, perhaps a faulty card, or micro sd slot?

Perhaps not formatted with the X3 app.

I bought my X3 with a 64 GB card in a package deal. It had a very early version of the OS. I have no idea what you are referring to and have never heard anyone else mention it. So yeah, it must have been those later patches that fixed my no problem with earlier versions thang.

Hmmm looks like the X3 needs to be patched then (either to fix it, or at least have that card format option). Thanks guys for the confirmation!

May 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #10,057 of 17,484

I don't have one yet though; I told the retailer to go patch it if possible.

There never really has been a 64GB card problem with the X3. The real problem is that it is difficult to format the cards correctly for the X3, especially on Windows machines. The workaround for that was to make the X3 itself capable of formatting the card. But, if you can get a card formatted in FAT32 with the correct allocation size, then it will work with the version of the firmware that the retailer has just fine.

OTOH, it's worth getting the firmware updated if you can because there are a lot of other improvements in the later versions which are worth having. It's a pity that the very latest improvements coming "real soon now" won't be on there....

May 12, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #10,058 of 17,484
  There never really has been a 64GB card problem with the X3. The real problem is that it is difficult to format the cards correctly for the X3, especially on Windows machines. The workaround for that was to make the X3 itself capable of formatting the card. But, if you can get a card formatted in FAT32 with the correct allocation size, then it will work with the version of the firmware that the retailer has just fine.

OTOH, it's worth getting the firmware updated if you can because there are a lot of other improvements in the later versions which are worth having. It's a pity that the very latest improvements coming "real soon now" won't be on there....

Hmmm... I was under the impression that there is such an issue ever since I have been following this thread; maybe I misread something there. I did use the program on the card several times before going to do the test drive, but I may have missed out something.

And yes, the FW updates are really worthwhile, especially the one that turned the X3 into an USB DAC :D

May 12, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #10,059 of 17,484
http://www.verbatim.com/includes/binary_details.php3?show=1&id=840

The verbatim fat32 tool works perfectly with formatting micro SD cards to fat32, and makes them readable by the X3. This tool is windows only.

Preferably though, use the format tool FiiO put on the X3.

May 12, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #10,060 of 17,484
  I haven't checked this thread for a couple of months and I'm seeing all this talk about new firmware versions: 2.14 and 2.14b.  However, I can't seem to find them.  The latest firmware I can find on the FiiO site is 2.1. 

Can someone give me a link to them? 

Do we have a housekeeping thread for the X3 with all the various firmwares and downloads in one place? 

You should check out posts #9372 and  #9410 in this thread. In my browser, they're on pages 625 and 628 respectively. You might want to read the posts in between, and for at least a handful of pages after that as well, since there's a lot of useful discussion around a couple of non-critical, but somewhat irritating bugs with the new firmware that are easy to work around once you know about them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of razorblader's volume-modded version of 2.14 beta (from post 9410). I've been using it for several days now, and fallen in love with my X3 all over again.

Hope that helps!

May 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #10,061 of 17,484
You should check out posts #9372 and  #9410 in this thread. In my browser, they're on pages 625 and 628 respectively. You might want to read the posts in between, and for at least a handful of pages after that as well, since there's a lot of useful discussion around a couple of non-critical, but somewhat irritating bugs with the new firmware that are easy to work around once you know about them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of razorblader's volume-modded version of 2.14 beta (from post 9410). I've been using it for several days now, and fallen in love with my X3 all over again.

Hope that helps!

I haven't checked this thread for a couple of months and I'm seeing all this talk about new firmware versions: 2.14 and 2.14b.  However, I can't seem to find them.  The latest firmware I can find on the FiiO site is 2.1. 

Can someone give me a link to them? 

Do we have a housekeeping thread for the X3 with all the various firmwares and downloads in one place? 

Please be aware that 2.14 ís 2.14b. b means beta, so it's in development, not a final release.

May 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #10,062 of 17,484

Hmmm... I was under the impression that there is such an issue ever since I have been following this thread; maybe I misread something there. I did use the program on the card several times before going to do the test drive, but I may have missed out something.

And yes, the FW updates are really worthwhile, especially the one that turned the X3 into an USB DAC :D

You didn't misread anything. A lot of people had problems with 64GB cards but almost always it was due to incorrect formatting followed by people leaping to incorrect conclusions and accusing the X3 of having problems. Hence there is a lot of FUD about 64GB cards in these threads.

I preordered my X3 so I have one of the very early ones (in the UK) and I've been using 64GB cards from the day I received it. The default format for 64GB+ cards uses a Microsoft proprietary file system which Windows machines like to enforce. I formatted my card on my Mac and the only problem I ever had was when I accidentally knocked the cable out whilst writing to the card. I'm not going to blame the X3 for that 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #10,063 of 17,484
http://www.verbatim.com/includes/binary_details.php3?show=1&id=840

The verbatim fat32 tool works perfectly with formatting micro SD cards to fat32, and makes them readable by the X3. This tool is windows only.

Preferably though, use the format tool FiiO put on the X3.

Yeah, I think I will stick with that if I ever get the X3.

You didn't misread anything. A lot of people had problems with 64GB cards but almost always it was due to incorrect formatting followed by people leaping to incorrect conclusions and accusing the X3 of having problems. Hence there is a lot of FUD about 64GB cards in these threads.

I preordered my X3 so I have one of the very early ones (in the UK) and I've been using 64GB cards from the day I received it. The default format for 64GB+ cards uses a Microsoft proprietary file system which Windows machines like to enforce. I formatted my card on my Mac and the only problem I ever had was when I accidentally knocked the cable out whilst writing to the card. I'm not going to blame the X3 for that 
smily_headphones1.gif

That explains quite a bit about the situation here, thanks! 
redface.gif

May 12, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #10,064 of 17,484
Hello

New to Fiio X3 and this forum, just wanted to inform all that I use a Sandisk Ultra 64GB card without any problem what so-ever, I just popped it into the X3 and formatted it and since all is just great, the X3 is running the 2.1 firmware.

Hope this helps for those looking for 64gb cards

May 12, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #10,065 of 17,484
i've just installed 2.14b firmware after i did my own volume mode to 120 using extraction tool for x5 modified to use x3 :)
Now, i want to modify first menu screen, that 2x3 matrix it's not to intuitive, pressing down goes right first to [1,2] cell, then to next row.
Would it be possible to have 6 lines menu too? i found images in e.g. \litegui\theme4\launcher\ .
is there any other place to change beside them? probably image position should also be changed to fit the screen one per row.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back