The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #9,001 of 17,484
Make sure the hold button isn't turned on. Have you hit the reset button on top with a pin to brin it back?

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #9,003 of 17,484
Ok, I apologize for the basic general nature of the question.  I'm assuming I know the answer to the question already, just want confirmation.

Am I going to see a noticeable improvement in quality using the X3 vs Rockbox Clips and a Rockbox iPod 5th gen?  I'm mainly just trying to get myself to break down and finally buy this, seeing that it does everything I could possibly want a player to do.  Also, with the X5 looking like another month before local availability, my impatience is getting the better of me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #9,004 of 17,484
  Ok, I apologize for the basic general nature of the question.  I'm assuming I know the answer to the question already, just want confirmation.

Am I going to see a noticeable improvement in quality using the X3 vs Rockbox Clips and a Rockbox iPod 5th gen?  I'm mainly just trying to get myself to break down and finally buy this, seeing that it does everything I could possibly want a player to do.  Also, with the X5 looking like another month before local availability, my impatience is getting the better of me.

"To me" there was a big step up in sound quality going from my trusty Clip Zip+ (40GB w/SD card) to the FiiO X3. With both players I only use FLAC or WAV files (no MP3's unless its an Audiobook), and when used either my Westone 4R's, Klipsch X-10's, X-5's or better yet the B&W P7's the X3 was a BIG improvement in overall sound quality. This really surprised me as I've been a huge fan of the Clip series of players and its still wonderful for the price but not in the same ballpark as the X3 to my ears. 

Its also nice that the X3 will play 24/192 right out of the box and can be used as a DAC...oh, and the Line Out is great to have as well (I use it with my E12 sometimes). Got mine at Amazon w/64GB Sandisk card for only $199 so it was rather hard to beat.

Best of luck!

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #9,005 of 17,484
That's pretty much what I wanted to hear :D

On a side note, looked up the Fiio X3 on Amazon... and had to laugh when one of the X3 sellers put up a picture of the iBasso Dap instead, I'm assuming the dx50.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #9,006 of 17,484
That's pretty much what I wanted to hear
biggrin.gif

On a side note, looked up the Fiio X3 on Amazon... and had to laugh when one of the X3 sellers put up a picture of the iBasso Dap instead, I'm assuming the dx50.

Well, if you buy it from them you can always return it within 30 days if its not what you wanted. All I needed to do was re-tag a lot of my albums (I used MediaMonkey Gold) for them to show up correctly, but I've been spoiled by J.River Media Player. Hope it works out for you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #9,007 of 17,484
"To me" there was a big step up in sound quality going from my trusty Clip Zip+ (40GB w/SD card) to the FiiO X3. With both players I only use FLAC or WAV files (no MP3's unless its an Audiobook), and when used either my Westone 4R's, Klipsch X-10's, X-5's or better yet the B&W P7's the X3 was a BIG improvement in overall sound quality. This really surprised me as I've been a huge fan of the Clip series of players and its still wonderful for the price but not in the same ballpark as the X3 to my ears. 

Its also nice that the X3 will play 24/192 right out of the box and can be used as a DAC...oh, and the Line Out is great to have as well (I use it with my E12 sometimes). Got mine at Amazon w/64GB Sandisk card for only $199 so it was rather hard to beat.

Best of luck!
can you compare x3's HO and LO(x3+e12) SQ/clarity? thanks!

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #9,008 of 17,484
guys i need your tech help

I have the following gear:

1- Fiio x3
2- ifi ican nano
3- mad dogs

I tried using the mad dog on the x3 alone the sound is not good at all, so I was wondering how do I connect my gear to get the max sound quality. Shall I use the line out from x3 to ifi can nano or shall I use the coaxial  or aux 

your help is much appreciated 

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #9,009 of 17,484
  guys i need your tech help

I have the following gear:

1- Fiio x3
2- ifi ican nano
3- mad dogs

I tried using the mad dog on the x3 alone the sound is not good at all, so I was wondering how do I connect my gear to get the max sound quality. Shall I use the line out from x3 to ifi can nano or shall I use the coaxial  or aux 

your help is much appreciated 

Coax only output digital signal, which iCan Nano can't use - so that's a no. There is no 'aux' on any of the gears - so that's another no. Basically you are left with either (1) X3's headphone-out - iCan Nano - Mad Dog, or (2) X3's line-out - iCan Nano - Mad Dog. I'll suggest the later - though whether you will find it better sounding or not, I don't know.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #9,010 of 17,484

Coax only output digital signal, which iCan Nano can't use - so that's a no. There is no 'aux' on any of the gears - so that's another no. Basically you are left with either (1) X3's headphone-out - iCan Nano - Mad Dog, or (2) X3's line-out - iCan Nano - Mad Dog. I'll suggest the later - though whether you will find it better sounding or not, I don't know.i am 

it seems after all I don't like how songs are recorded and i like to add bass to most songs, it seems I am not big flat fan and maybe I am a bashed after all. I wish that there was an eq as the bass in x3 does not do it for me

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #9,011 of 17,484
can you compare x3's HO and LO(x3+e12) SQ/clarity? thanks!

To be perfectly honest, I can't truly say that I NEED to use the E12 Mont Blanc with the X3 when driving my full-size can's (HE-400's and 500's) or especially my easier to drive phones like the B&W P7's. But, I received the E12 as a gift, the X3 has a Line Out so why not use it with planar phones? I've not listened to the 400's or 500's back and forth with and without the E12 in the chain to tell if there is even a noticeable improvement by having the amp in place.

When I do use the X3 with the E12 together it allows me to put to use my cool looking black FiiO rubber bands and makes it appear as if I'm carrying some sort of high tech IED. I'd be willing to bet that the X3 will have plenty of juice for most headphones...not all but most. Obviously not strapping an amp to it also makes it a lot easier to slip it in your pocket for easy carry. 

Good luck man, I hope that you enjoy the X3...you should post your thoughts on it once you've had time to play around with it for a while. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #9,012 of 17,484
I too thought that I would need the E12 having ran a C3's low output for quite some time. So I ordered the E12 with the X3 and there it sits, 3M dual locked to the bottom of the X3 inside the Pelican 1020.

The rotary volume control is a nice feature to have when I do use the pair on my belt with a LowePro case.

Just my 2 centavos...

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #9,014 of 17,484

To be perfectly honest, I can't truly say that I NEED to use the E12 Mont Blanc with the X3 when driving my full-size can's (HE-400's and 500's) or especially my easier to drive phones like the B&W P7's. But, I received the E12 as a gift, the X3 has a Line Out so why not use it with planar phones? I've not listened to the 400's or 500's back and forth with and without the E12 in the chain to tell if there is even a noticeable improvement by having the amp in place.

When I do use the X3 with the E12 together it allows me to put to use my cool looking black FiiO rubber bands and makes it appear as if I'm carrying some sort of high tech IED. I'd be willing to bet that the X3 will have plenty of juice for most headphones...not all but most. Obviously not strapping an amp to it also makes it a lot easier to slip it in your pocket for easy carry.

Good luck man, I hope that you enjoy the X3...you should post your thoughts on it once you've had time to play around with it for a while.

^^ This.

The X3/E12 powers my HE-400's and HD600's with massive authority and detail. But just to finish up your research, there is a very noticeable difference when using the E12. The X3 alone can't handle these cans at the volume that I prefer.

P.S. Use adhesive velcro instead of the rubber bands. It's a much cleaner look without the hassle of the bands getting in the way.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #9,015 of 17,484

^^ This.

The X3/E12 powers my HE-400's and HD600's with massive authority and detail. But just to finish up your research, there is a very noticeable difference when using the E12. The X3 alone can't handle these cans at the volume that I prefer.

P.S. Use adhesive velcro instead of the rubber bands. It's a much cleaner look without the hassle of the bands getting in the way.

looks great,
L3000.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back