The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,921 of 17,484
How do you update the firmware, were is it? 

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,922 of 17,484
Quote:
How do you update the firmware, were is it? 

this is a beta version for X3s which will send to our reviewers ( what hifi, audiophile, CNET, sound&vision, heafonia, headfonics, headphonereviesHQ ), so it is not a formal released version, 

but we plan to release it with the new batch of X3 in July.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #1,923 of 17,484
Quote:

this is a beta version for X3s which will send to our reviewers ( what hifi, audiophile, CNET, sound&vision, heafonia, headfonics, headphonereviesHQ ), so it is not a formal released version, 

So how do you update the firmware when it becomes available?

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,925 of 17,484
How to upgrade the firmware on your X3
1. Copy "x3.fw" to the root direcotry of your TF card
2. Turn off the X3
3. Turn on the X3 by holding "Menu" and "On/Off" switches simultaneously
4. Now firmware will be updated automatically

Note:
- Use a blank FAT32-formatted TF card, preferrably with capacity less than or equal to 32GB
- Make sure your X3 is fully charged
- Don't operate your X3 during update
- If update fails, hold "On/Off" switch for 10 seconds to revert to the old firmware and go back to step 1. Update your media library afterwards.

(Translated from the manual...I haven't done any firmware update yet!)
Quote:
So how do you update the firmware when it becomes available?

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,926 of 17,484

Is there any hardware/wiring/tuning or any differences at all for the new batch of X3 compared to the ones already released to us?

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,928 of 17,484
1. Copy "x3.fw" to the root direcotry of your TF card
2. Turn off the X3
3. Turn on the X3 by holding "Menu" and "On/Off" switches simultaneously
4. Now firmware will be updated automatically

(Translated from the manual, I haven't done any firmware update yet!)

I heard (from an owner in this thread) that a BLANK FAT32 microSD/TF card should be used for updating firmware. Otherwise the above instruction seems acurate.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,929 of 17,484
Thanks for the reminder. I actually missed out one section of the manual... I've edited the original post.
Quote:
I heard (from an owner in this thread) that a BLANK FAT32 microSD/TF card should be used for updating firmware. Otherwise the above instruction seems acurate.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #1,930 of 17,484
Quote:
I got both coming, that is a wife and an X3 arriving shortly,.

Will keep you posted for further results.

According to some head-fiers that the sound quality in X3 is quite on par with AK100 except the sound stage & separation are slightly fall short.

In this case, can you bypass the internal Amp in X3 by LINE OUT to  the ext. amp that you have? To check if the sound stage & separation can be further improved.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,932 of 17,484
How many headfiers have actually listened to the X3 and ...would it be possible to post some kind of list that shows, according to the users, what are the pros and cons, or better strong and weak points of this dap?
Maybe someone can prepare such a list (ie: ui, soundstage, treble/medium/bass quality and so on) and those who have the X3 or had the chance to listen to it can fill it in according to their impressions?

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,934 of 17,484
Quote:
Just because you pay more for the AK100 than the Fiio X3 does not mean that the AK100 is better - They both have the same DAC8740 so the  sound and soundstage appear to be the same. Bass levels also match like for like. The AK 100 does have Bluetooth ( not sure why as you loose to much sound quality in BT headsets.

I think that Fiio  have almost done what Apple have done created a great product and put it in the reach of most peoples pockets .

I have  to question  why has Astell & Kern now launched the AK120 with dual DAC within months of the launch of the AK100 but with twice the price tag ?

My AK100 will be on Ebay this weekend.

I did a blind Flac test wear with my eyes closed and my wife put the earphones in my ears so I could not tell which one I was listening to and the best performing DAP was the Fiio X3

Blind tests will get you banned around here, but nice move. Throw a sansa clip + in the comparison as well. All three are designed to be audibly transparent and measure as being thus. If anything AK100 should sound weird with certain IEMs due to its ridiculously high output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back