The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #16,566 of 17,484
M3 is only ~$70 more than X3ii? That's crazy cheap for the M3
blink.gif

Actually my math was off a bit. $379 for the Shanling. $289 for the Fiio.
Both shipped and sold by the same company.

FTR the X5ii is $425.

You've heard both, haven't you. Is the M3 a step up?

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #16,569 of 17,484
Loaded up a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB card for a road trip. Started out.  Loaded card and got "tf card not found".  Put other card in and all OK.  Put newly loaded card in and I could not get it to work no matter what I tried as every avenue said card not found.

Researched for a couple hours here and on FiiO site.  Nothing.  

Deleted all music and reinstalled music.  Nope.

Formatted again to Fat32.  Nope.

Tried to format using the X3.  "tf card not found".

Finally figured it out.

Deleted music and formatted to ExFat.

Put card in X3 and used it to format the card.

Installed music.  Music played.

Anyone able to explain this?

Curiously, when the card was formatted to Fat32, the X3 could not detect the card.  When formatted (incorrectly) to ExFat, it saw it.  It then formatted it.

Maybe this will help others.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #16,570 of 17,484
Jnjy: Yeah, you get roll up to 0dB before/after the first/last EQ bands. There might've been some minor irregularities between EQ bands, as well, but the main issue was before/after the first/last EQ bands.

So, a +6dB sub-bass increase + a +6dB increase in the treble regions that only the bat-people can hear :wink:

I imagine EQ'ing down by -6dB is less of a problem in this case than EQ'ing up +6dB. EQ'ing up would roll off down to 0dB and would sound worse.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #16,572 of 17,484
Jnjy: Yeah, you get roll up to 0dB before/after the first/last EQ bands. There might've been some minor irregularities between EQ bands, as well, but the main issue was before/after the first/last EQ bands.

So, a +6dB sub-bass increase + a +6dB increase in the treble regions that only the bat-people can hear :wink:

I imagine EQ'ing down by -6dB is less of a problem in this case than EQ'ing up +6dB. EQ'ing up would roll off down to 0dB and would sound worse.

Thanks. Might confirm my suspicions opamps could be oscillating or even the dac putting out hf noise being underpowered at +6, and getting behaved at -6.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #16,573 of 17,484
Hey folks, just wanted to let you guys know that the FiiO X7 preview world tour is now open for applications!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782490/fiio-x7-preview-world-tour-yes-its-here-apply-now
:L3000:
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #16,574 of 17,484
Let me tell you a story about the FiiO X3 I've never got to try.

When X3 first released all this time ago, I was waiting on impressions, at the time I was probably running around with Hisound players in my pocket and eventually (at that time) early firmware and buggy DX50. I kept putting off purchasing X3 as I was running around with other players, other things etc. I eventually contacted an Australian supplier when X3 hype was strong requesting a demo unit for a week They said sure, just let us get the unit back from Australian magazine doing a review on it. Many months past and that demo slipped by..

I kept my eye out on the for sale sections looking for one second hand at a decent price as I really wanted to try it, I needed my own opinion for comparisons and impressions. Months past, years now yet I still hadn't heard the original X3 unit. Over time X3 was discontinued, shops sold out of stock and I thought fair enough, this one has slipped past me.

Last week on eBay someone listed their original X3 for only $70 AUD so I quickly purchased it thinking YES, I've finally nailed one after all this time. That next morning the seller msg me saying while he was packing the unit it fell on the concrete of his work and the screen smashed. For this reason he could no longer sell it to me. I was like 'omg'. Anyway, I got a refund.

The next week I was looking on eBay again and the SAME X3 was listed, same seller but this time for $170 AUD!.

I was like omg bbq, this is unbelievable. Of course, I did not purchase it again..

And that's my story how I've NEVER since original release heard or laid hands on an original FiiO X3. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #16,575 of 17,484
  Let me tell you a story about the FiiO X3 I've never got to try.

When X3 first released all this time ago, I was waiting on impressions, at the time I was probably running around with Hisound players in my pocket and eventually (at that time) early firmware and buggy DX50. I kept putting off purchasing X3 as I was running around with other players, other things etc. I eventually contacted an Australian supplier when X3 hype was strong requesting a demo unit for a week They said sure, just let us get the unit back from Australian magazine doing a review on it. Many months past and that demo slipped by..

I kept my eye out on the for sale sections looking for one second hand at a decent price as I really wanted to try it, I needed my own opinion for comparisons and impressions. Months past, years now yet I still hadn't heard the original X3 unit. Over time X3 was discontinued, shops sold out of stock and I thought fair enough, this one has slipped past me.

Last week on eBay someone listed their original X3 for only $70 AUD so I quickly purchased it thinking YES, I've finally nailed one after all this time. That next morning the seller msg me saying while he was packing the unit it fell on the concrete of his work and the screen smashed. For this reason he could no longer sell it to me. I was like 'omg'. Anyway, I got a refund.

The next week I was looking on eBay again and the SAME X3 was listed, same seller but this time for $170 AUD!.

I was like omg bbq, this is unbelievable. Of course, I did not purchase it again..

And that's my story how I've NEVER since original release heard or laid hands on an original FiiO X3. 

Thanks for sharing.

I say do not give up. It seems it is your destiny to try an X3 calssic. Sooner or later.  :)
 I see on your profile, you have had try the 2nd gen. First gen is darker, with more but not better bass. Warm, cosy sound. Less refined and less detailed compared to the 2nd gen. Classic is less 'analytical'. Still very nice and enjoyable though. Like an older, darker, less refined version of X3ii. It is just my opinion though. I can imagine someone would choose 1st gen over the 2nd one. But only if the headphone is quite bright. You must be very much addicted to dark and warm sound to choose 1st gen over the more detailed and spacious (and less warm) 2nd gen. Very much depends on the headphone/IEM choice. The difference starts to be more obvious with headphones/iems over £150-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back