The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 18, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #16,533 of 17,484
@McDown:

Oh gawd, not for music, man. At least not on its own
wink.gif

I've got a DX90 and X5 for standalone DAPs and plan on testing out how well an iPhone with a lot of storage dies as a DAP when coupled with a battery-free DAC/Amp like the Calyx PaT or Cozoy Aegis.

Been pondering that myself. I'd try to find a cheap android phone with a card reader though. The DAC/amp is doing all the heavy lifting, and basically the phone is just there to stream. This is going by the fact I really don't need/want a smartphone - I like my phones dumb
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #16,536 of 17,484
The pono unit has an interesting mode that allows direct comparison of MP3 at320, AAC at 256, flac 16-44, flac 24-96, and flac 24-192. The lower bit rate files sound louder. I suspect it is an artifact of compression. To me the big jump is to flac. From flac redbook to 24 bit the sound open up more and instruments are easier to pick out in the mix

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #16,537 of 17,484
The pono unit has an interesting mode that allows direct comparison of MP3 at320, AAC at 256, flac 16-44, flac 24-96, and flac 24-192. The lower bit rate files sound louder. I suspect it is an artifact of compression. To me the big jump is to flac. From flac redbook to 24 bit the sound open up more and instruments are easier to pick out in the mix

Another thing that is immediately noticed is the quality of the bass.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #16,538 of 17,484
Originally Posted by Mr Trev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  <using my best 'rocky' (the flying squirrel) impression>

Again?

The seller didn't like that it got warm, and I miss it.  So it's coming back to me, and I'm going to keep it.  The bass is just too good.  That, and the deal I had with someone about a Cozoy Aegis fell through, and I'm trying to get my money back from that.  Thank god for Paypal.

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #16,539 of 17,484
  The seller didn't like that it got warm, and I miss it.  So it's coming back to me, and I'm going to keep it.  The bass is just too good.  That, and the deal I had with someone about a Cozoy Aegis fell through, and I'm trying to get my money back from that.  Thank god for Paypal.

Just when you thought you were out…

welcome back to the fold
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #16,540 of 17,484
I tend to like AAC 256 more than MP3 320. But prefer 16-44 or better so the comparison of MP3 and AAC seems like a moot point.

The difference become more apparent during longer listening sessions. Higher bit rates sound more open and analog and it is easier for me to get lost in the music

Ever miss your exit because you were grooving on your tunes? Been there done that.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #16,542 of 17,484
The only thing wrong with my x3 is the existence of the x3 gen two

:D
I do feel gen1 seems to have better dynamic range.

And while we're at it, try to use eq, set all sliders to the lowest so it should still have a flat fr, then set gain to high (or just leave it low, depending on your head/earphone).
Basically, it just lowers the "pre-amp" stage and gives you more dynamic range, at the cost of lower max volume.
Audio bliss.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #16,545 of 17,484
biggrin.gif

I do feel gen1 seems to have better dynamic range.

And while we're at it, try to use eq, set all sliders to the lowest so it should still have a flat fr, then set gain to high (or just leave it low, depending on your head/earphone).
Basically, it just lowers the "pre-amp" stage and gives you more dynamic range, at the cost of lower max volume.
Audio bliss.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back