The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #3,496 of 9,972
Anyone know if the dynamic range listed on the website of fiio is correct? 101dB ? While the X1 has 110db ...

I really think that both units will give you enough dynamic range. 

Maybe it is a mistype?
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #3,498 of 9,972
The one at the right is the FiiO cable.

May 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #3,499 of 9,972
You must be referring to http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KGHNPNQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1431711479&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Monoprice+otg&dpPl=1&dpID=41FEP3c1U-L&ref=plSrch

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009Z6A0KA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431710879&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Monoprice+otg&dpPl=1&dpID=31xt1BR68RL&ref=plSrch

What did you use as a microsd card reader with these?

It's a separate adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11194

The other two adapters are also available directly from Monoprice.

May 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,500 of 9,972
It's a separate adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11194

The other two adapters are also available directly from Monoprice.

Thanks for the reply.  Just to confirm, you have tested and used this monoprice adapter with the X3 2nd Gen and it works?  I am a big fan of Monoprice products, so if it does that is great!

May 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,501 of 9,972
May 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3,502 of 9,972
  Official firmware version 1.1 for the X3 2nd gen is now available.
>>Click here

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.1 compared to FW1.0:
1. FiiO's slogan "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" added to starting animation
2. "About X3K" renamed to "About X3" in accordance with official product name.
3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".
4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.

quite an underwhelming update..

What? And the 5800 song limit? 

May 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,503 of 9,972
  Official firmware version 1.1 for the X3 2nd gen is now available.
>>Click here

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.1 compared to FW1.0:
1. FiiO's slogan "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" added to starting animation
2. "About X3K" renamed to "About X3" in accordance with official product name.
3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".
4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.

quite an underwhelming update..

Anyone try this?   I followed the instructions, but get "file system not supported' even though the card was formated with the X3.

May 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3,504 of 9,972

Anyone try this?   I followed the instructions, but get "file system not supported' even though the card was formated with the X3.

Worked for me.
Not sure how my SD card is formatted though, I was using it in my Note 3 and transferred it strait over to my X3. 
Whatever Andriod formats SD cards to is how my SD card is formatted.

May 16, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,506 of 9,972
  Worked for me.
Not sure how my SD card is formatted though, I was using it in my Note 3 and transferred it strait over to my X3. 
Whatever Andriod formats SD cards to is how my SD card is formatted.

i tried with a 128gb samsung andcdidnt work, but switched to an 8gb card and it worked fine.

I figured it out.  What I did was format the card originally in the X3 but through windows which formatted it to exFAT and not FAT32.  I re-formatted through the X3 and all is fine now, besides transferring all my music over.

May 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,507 of 9,972
I'm a little behind on this thread so I hope I'm not revisiting this topic...anyway, has anyone tried the mini-to-coaxial adaptor that came with the X3ii yet?

I gave it a try today, having the X3ii feed a Schiit Bifrost Über and then on to a Lake People G109S headphone amp.  I liked what I heard...there is definitely more presence, clarity and low end grunt when compared with my aging NAD C542 CD player.  Under this setup the HE500's and HD650's really sounded great!  Although the HE500's driven by the FiiO E12a sounds pretty decent too, the HD650's, in my opinion, need a slightly more refined amp and the G109S, not surprisingly, simply out-classed it.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the X3ii/E12a combo as my portable on the go rig (and occasional bedside rig).

What's nice about the X3ii is that I can easily access my entire CD (ripped FLAC) library.  It's playable not only via my headphone collection but also through my 2 channel speaker system.  Pretty darn sweet.  Hmmm...I have to wonder why I still need the CD player.  Maybe I need to seriously think about the future X5ii or X7 for my home rig?

I was wondering if this mini-to-coaxial adaptor is of decent quality?  I suspect there might be higher quality after market adaptors out there.  If someone has tried the co-axial out with the X3ii I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

May 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,508 of 9,972
Thanks for the reply.  Just to confirm, you have tested and used this monoprice adapter with the X3 2nd Gen and it works?  I am a big fan of Monoprice products, so if it does that is great!

Yes. I have successfully used all three of the Monoprice adapters.

To the extent that compatibility is a question in the OTG space, I think the storage device is more likely to cause issues than the adapters, although in my personal experience I've had two adapters that didn't work. But I don't think that is representative.

I think SSDs are particularly wonky, based on the firmware. If anyone has any experience with OTG and SSDs, please share!

May 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,510 of 9,972
Yes. I have successfully used all three of the Monoprice adapters.

To the extent that compatibility is a question in the OTG space, I think the storage device is more likely to cause issues than the adapters, although in my personal experience I've had two adapters that didn't work. But I don't think that is representative.

I think SSDs are particularly wonky, based on the firmware. If anyone has any experience with OTG and SSDs, please share!

There are reports of msata success. Suggest this discussion move to the thread set up for x3 and x5 otg use discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back