The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 16, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3,511 of 9,972

I was wondering if this mini-to-coaxial adaptor is of decent quality?  I suspect there might be higher quality after market adaptors out there.  If someone has tried the co-axial out with the X3ii I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Yep I've tried it.  At the end of the day you are transferring a digital signal.  As long as the data is transmitted correctly - it doesn't matter what cable you use (ie an expensive after-market cable can't make a difference).  The Fiio X3ii adaptor works correctly and competently.  I've never experienced dropouts.  For reference - using the adaptor plus a "Maxcable" coax cable (basically a no-name, but well build coax cable with decent connectors - into an iFi Micro iDSD.  It's a nice set-up. 

May 16, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,512 of 9,972

Yep I've tried it.  At the end of the day you are transferring a digital signal.  As long as the data is transmitted correctly - it doesn't matter what cable you use (ie an expensive after-market cable can't make a difference).  The Fiio X3ii adaptor works correctly and competently.  I've never experienced dropouts.  For reference - using the adaptor plus a "Maxcable" coax cable (basically a no-name, but well build coax cable with decent connectors - into an iFi Micro iDSD.  It's a nice set-up. 

Great thanks for your feedback.

May 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,513 of 9,972
A few posts back somebody asked if the x3 gen 2 can be used as a dac for an android tablet. They were told no

Now I have not tried any android unit but I can confirm that using a ten dollar usb mini hub and an apple camera connecting kit the unit works as an apple dac. With an otg cable and that same hub (see my review for link) I bet it works as a dac for androids.

So I would respond with a qualified maybe or probably to that question

The mini hub takes the power draw negotiation out of the picture which is a key part of this

May 16, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,514 of 9,972
On the dsd question I want to pose a basic question. Is the amplification on these units analog or digital in nature? If sampling is involved then it would seem the benefits to direct DSL sampling is somewhat negated. The playback sure sounds good to me so I suspect that analog like goodness is not being discarded but I do not know for sure.

Anybody up on this?

May 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #3,515 of 9,972
I'm a little behind on this thread so I hope I'm not revisiting this topic...anyway, has anyone tried the mini-to-coaxial adaptor that came with the X3ii yet?

I gave it a try today, having the X3ii feed a Schiit Bifrost Über and then on to a Lake People G109S headphone amp.  I liked what I heard...there is definitely more presence, clarity and low end grunt when compared with my aging NAD C542 CD player.  Under this setup the HE500's and HD650's really sounded great!  Although the HE500's driven by the FiiO E12a sounds pretty decent too, the HD650's, in my opinion, need a slightly more refined amp and the G109S, not surprisingly, simply out-classed it.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the X3ii/E12a combo as my portable on the go rig (and occasional bedside rig).

What's nice about the X3ii is that I can easily access my entire CD (ripped FLAC) library.  It's playable not only via my headphone collection but also through my 2 channel speaker system.  Pretty darn sweet.  Hmmm...I have to wonder why I still need the CD player.  Maybe I need to seriously think about the future X5ii or X7 for my home rig?

I was wondering if this mini-to-coaxial adaptor is of decent quality?  I suspect there might be higher quality after market adaptors out there.  If someone has tried the co-axial out with the X3ii I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

I like this cable. Perfect length for me and feels very high quality....
http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00V436UQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431834140&sr=8-1&keywords=Micca+coax

May 17, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,517 of 9,972
  Did you guys know, if you press long (1-2sec) the middle button on X3ii you can change the volume with the scroll wheel? I discovered this by accident. :)

Yep it's been a feature on the X5, X1 and now X3ii.

May 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,518 of 9,972
Hey all!

I've been watching reviews on YouTube, and reading reviews in the Head Gear section here, about the X3ii, and none of them talk about something that is very important to me.  I listen to mainly 16/44.1 Redbook FLAC files, and I LOVE BASS!  I had the original X3, and usually had the hardware bass control on +6, sometimes higher.  So how is the EQ in the X3ii?  Can it be tuned so the low freq. really come out?  I read Brooko's great reveiw, and he mentions the body of the bass, but doesn't mention if it can be accentuated?  I'm debating between the new X3ii, and the X1, so I'd love to know what you owners' think.  

May 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,519 of 9,972
Hey all!

I've been watching reviews on YouTube, and reading reviews in the Head Gear section here, about the X3ii, and none of them talk about something that is very important to me.  I listen to mainly 16/44.1 Redbook FLAC files, and I LOVE BASS!  I had the original X3, and usually had the hardware bass control on +6, sometimes higher.  So how is the EQ in the X3ii?  Can it be tuned so the low freq. really come out?  I read Brooko's great reveiw, and he mentions the body of the bass, but doesn't mention if it can be accentuated?  I'm debating between the new X3ii, and the X1, so I'd love to know what you owners' think.  

The bass eq'd on the x3 2nd gen is good for minor tweaks. In your case, you'll get better control and texture from an external amp like the jdslabs c5.

May 17, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,520 of 9,972
The bass eq'd on the x3 2nd gen is good for minor tweaks. In your case, you'll get better control and texture from an external amp like the jdslabs c5.

Thanks for the quick reply, and reference to a good secondary purchase.  In that case, I'll probably grab the X1, as I don't need the DSD function, and if I'm adding an amp down the road, don't need the more powerful amp of the X3ii.  I'm more of a basic playback kind of guy.  :beerchug:

Okay, doing more research, I found the EQ of the X3ii has a 31Hz and 62Hz setting. I decided to go for the flexibility this gives me, and the extra power.

May 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,522 of 9,972
Availability for the X3 2nd Gen is like a roller coaster.   Finally I was able to place an order on Amazon with Prime shipping (Pitbull Audio), they only had 5 in stock this past Friday.  Got it delivered today (yes USPS delivered it on Sunday!!). But now it is only available by another 3rd party seller but at $299!!!

First impression: packaging was really nice, DAP feels solid high quality.  My main problem now is formatting the 128GB I have with the player and copying all the songs again (3 hours).  It looks like it didn't like the FAT32 format done by Acronis Disk Director, had the same issue with a 64GB card.

May 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,524 of 9,972
  whats the latest firmware 

V1.1

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Official firmware version 1.1 for the X3 2nd gen is now available.
>>Click here

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.1 compared to FW1.0:
1. FiiO's slogan "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" added to starting animation
2. "About X3K" renamed to "About X3" in accordance with official product name.
3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".
4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.

quite an underwhelming update..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back