The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 15, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,481 of 9,972
  See my earlier post for the Centon Rush 256GB USB Flash Drive, which has worked great.  Also had one other flash drive that works.  Have not tried any others.  I've used two adapters from Monoprice to connect the flash drive -- one corded version, and one which is just a small extension that fits on the USB connector of the flash drive on one end, and to the microUSB on the X3 on the other.  The latter is a really great compact solution.

I've also used microSD cards, store brand from the local Microcenter without issue, in combination with a Monoproce microUSB OTG adapter.

I've not yet tried an SSD drive.  With that huge flash drive, I'm not sure I'll need it, or would be willing to sacrifice the portability of the overall form factor.

I think the USB OTG feature on the X3 is absolutely killer.  By itself, it justifies the ugrade from V1.

Thanks Calmernur, I just came to know that the x5ii will be released next month. (with native DSD 
gs1000.gif
) I think thats the DAP for me. As an aside, I have the zx2 for a few days (properly burnt in and all that, over 200 hrs...) and I am SERIOUSLY UNDERWHELMED....Luckily Its a loaner from a friend. Am I glad I didnt spend all that moolah on it......

May 16, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #3,482 of 9,972
But in the case of X3 and X3 2nd gen, X3 is actually sounds brighter then X3 2nd gen, but X3 2nd gen gives more spacious perceptions, with clearer instrument separation and placement.

I would like to correct my own statement.
I made a mistake, X3 2nd gen is actually sounds more transparent / a little brighter than X3. I don't know how I hear X3 to be brighter the other day, but after more careful observation and comparison, X3 2nd gen is brighter than X3. Not the other way around like my previous statement.
Sorry for the confusion.

May 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #3,483 of 9,972
Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding of digital volume control that is used in most portable DAPs is, digital volume is only working on PCM signal, and not for DSD signal.
So all DSD source has to be converted to PCM in order to make use of the digital volume control, and then converted back to DSD / bitstream to be converted to analog by Delta-Sigma DAC used in most DAP.
In this sense, actually all DAPs that use digital volume control, none is actually native DSD, as they all convert the DSD signal to PCM, then convert it back to DSD just right before the DAC.

Am I right to say that?

May 16, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #3,484 of 9,972

I would like to correct my own statement.
I made a mistake, X3 2nd gen is actually sounds more transparent / a little brighter than X3. I don't know how I hear X3 to be brighter the other day, but after more careful observation and comparison, X3 2nd gen is brighter than X3. Not the other way around like my previous statement.
Sorry for the confusion.

Whew! Glad you cleared that one up. I agree very much with your latest observation!

May 16, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #3,486 of 9,972
Official firmware version 1.1 for the X3 2nd gen is now available.
>>Click here

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.1 compared to FW1.0:
1. FiiO's slogan "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" added to starting animation
2. "About X3K" renamed to "About X3" in accordance with official product name.
3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".
4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.

quite an underwhelming update..

May 16, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #3,487 of 9,972
@earfonia-I believe you are correct in regards to the volume control.

Thanks! So actually DSD capable feature is more for convenient so we don't have to convert our DSD albums.
beerchug.gif

>>Click here

3. The microSD card is now identified throughout the menus as "TF card" rather than "TF卡".
4. Fixed issue where the status bar icons are shifted when the volume level is over 99.

Thanks! Upgrading now.

May 16, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #3,488 of 9,972
>>Click here

Just wondering where you found the update. Not on the Fiio website (as far as I can see, in the FW repository), and no announcement on the Facebook page.

May 16, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,492 of 9,972

So you suggest X5 over X3 2nd gen? Why?

Very much depends on the gear one has, and the purpose they use it. (Hp out with iem or line out with amp and hp)
Also, some X5 owners prefer X3 2nd gen over the X5...
 What is your reason, you prefer X5 over the X3ii?

2 microsd slots. This is one of the most important aspects.

SQ wise, i think that both are very good devices. I use almost all the time line out, so i have no problem with sq out of any, but i really love having the space for storage
biggrin.gif

I would still recommend x3II for many reasons.  

I think that the most important aspect is the price and microsdslots.

May 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,494 of 9,972
Ah, you are correct. I missed that you were talking about the new X5.

no problem, mate
biggrin.gif

I like quite much big things, but having a stack is quite the experience for me, as i tend to carry it everywhere, and sometimes i listen for short periods of time, like 15 minutes or so, and i get the feeling that this might degrade the potentiometer of e12a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back