The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #436 of 566
So, what headphones actually use a cable that is a 3-pin L/R balanced cable? They show up on Amps all the time, but I've never seen a cable that has that.
Any headphone can, as the 3-pin L/R balanced connection is on the amp side. You just need to make sure the other end of the cable is terminated to fit the desired headphone.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #437 of 566
Any headphone can, as the 3-pin L/R balanced connection is on the amp side. You just need to make sure the other end of the cable is terminated to fit the desired headphone.
I mean I've just never seen a headphone come with that type of cable.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #438 of 566
You can specify the Abyss 1266 TC complete package with a dual 3-pin if you want. Ditto for the Superconductor cable.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #439 of 566
The interface is pretty uncommon on current release headphone amps, so it's probably not a cable termination option for most headphones anymore.

The last time I remember seeing a dual XLR setup was several years ago at a meet when an Audeze LCD-3 (then the flagship) was being driven by a Questyle CMA 800R amp. It might have actually been a pair of those amps configured as monoblocks.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #440 of 566
The interface is pretty uncommon on current release headphone amps, so it's probably not a cable termination option for most headphones anymore.

The last time I remember seeing a dual XLR setup was several years ago at a meet when an Audeze LCD-3 (then the flagship) was being driven by a Questyle CMA 800R amp. It might have actually been a pair of those amps configured as monoblocks.
I have a split 3-pin XLR with my original 1266. Came with an adaptor to convert to Single 4-pin XLR.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #441 of 566

I have a split 3-pin XLR with my original 1266. Came with an adaptor to convert to Single 4-pin XLR.
Looks like the $30k+ Warwick Aperio comes with something similar, but it's an E-stat, so I assume it's not the same thing. So the dual 3-pin was basically one of the first balanced cable concepts and it got replaced/made obsolete by XLR4?

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #442 of 566
Looks like the $30k+ Warwick Aperio comes with something similar, but it's an E-stat, so I assume it's not the same thing. So the dual 3-pin was basically one of the first balanced cable concepts and it got replaced/made obsolete by XLR4?
The Aperio uses dual proprietary 4-pin connectors, which makes sense for an estat. Each connector has a pair of pins for the signal, and another pair for the bias voltage, per channel. Besides conferring a bespoke appearance, they probably went with proprietary connectors because the Aperio won't play well with a standard estat amp. It uses a much higher bias voltage because of its large gap between membrane and stator, which allows more excursion and better bass.

Yes, 4-pin XLR superseded the dual 3-pin connectors, probably because it saved money, space, and cable weight, and the (optional) cable shield grounding allowed by the 3-pin connectors could also be implemented using the shell of the 4-pin.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #443 of 566
The Aperio uses dual proprietary 4-pin connectors, which makes sense for an estat. Each connector has a pair of pins for the signal, and another pair for the bias voltage, per channel. Besides conferring a bespoke appearance, they probably went with proprietary connectors because the Aperio won't play well with a standard estat amp. It uses a much higher bias voltage because of its large gap between membrane and stator, which allows more excursion and better bass.

Yes, 4-pin XLR superseded the dual 3-pin connectors, probably because it saved money, space, and cable weight, and the (optional) cable shield grounding allowed by the 3-pin connectors could also be implemented using the shell of the 4-pin.
Cheers! Thanks for the info

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #444 of 566
Well, I get why people like Grado. I tried a pair of Grado RS2X and the sound was very good from them. Unfortunately, the on-ear is painful pretty quickly and the cable is one of the worst cables I've ever encountered... AND it's not detachable. Bummer. All it would take for Grado to have a really good set of headphones is some decent ear cups and a good, detachable cable. Not hard 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #445 of 566

The last time I remember seeing a dual XLR setup was several years ago at a meet when an Audeze LCD-3 (then the flagship) was being driven by a Questyle CMA 800R amp.
Of note, Ray Samuels sometimes uses the dual-mono XLR configuration when it applies. My Apache uses that to provide excellent channel separation, near-zero noise floor and phenomenal dynamics.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #446 of 566
Well, I get why people like Grado. I tried a pair of Grado RS2X and the sound was very good from them. Unfortunately, the on-ear is painful pretty quickly and the cable is one of the worst cables I've ever encountered... AND it's not detachable. Bummer. All it would take for Grado to have a really good set of headphones is some decent ear cups and a good, detachable cable. Not hard 🤷🏻‍♂️
I sometimes wonder just why they don't offer detachable cables. For cheaper headphones it's ok but I mean what the hell they offer headphones in the 4 digits area?!? On top of that it has to be a super microphonic one.

Never really considered their headphones because of that. Shame really.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #447 of 566
I sometimes wonder just why the hell they don't offer detachable cables. For cheaper headphones it's ok but I mean What, they offer headphones in the 4 digits area?!? On top of that it has to be a super microohonic one.

Never really considered their headphones because of that. Shame really.
It's a really bad cable. Stiff, with memory retention and microphonic. Make a new cable or at least let people swap it without avoiding the warranty.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #448 of 566
I use the G pads with my RS2x's and have to shift the headphones around every now and then to have them remain comfortable. As for the headphone cable, try to relieve the tension in it and maybe over time it will become more pliable. It is a rather thick bugger but I'm sure the people at Grado have a reason for using it.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #449 of 566
I use the G pads with my RS2x's and have to shift the headphones around every now and then to have them remain comfortable. As for the headphone cable, try to relieve the tension in it and maybe over time it will become more pliable. It is a rather thick bugger but I'm sure the people at Grado have a reason for using it.
Honestly it just feels like a refusal to change and improve. Sticking too hard to heritage. But, they didn't ask me 😂

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #450 of 566
• For a while after purchase, I kneaded / twisted the braided cable - section by section - for a minute or two before using the headphone. The cable is fine now: softer, more pliable. True of all my Grados.
• I do like that the braided cable does not get the sharp 'kinks' that sometimes plagued the non-braided cable. It took me awhile to 'massage' those kinks out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back