The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Mar 3, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #466 of 551
Anyone here experienced the Sony MDR-Z1R? If you owned one and loved it did you replace it? If so, what was the MDR-Z1R replaced with? It's been a while since I owned a pair of Headphones, and I'm considering purchasing the MDR-Z1R or Focal Stellia. I currently have a loaner of the Focal Stellia, and sometimes I feel no connection to the music when listening to it. I have no idea what the MDR-Z1R sounds like but hope that it is similar to the IER-Z1R. If anyone has or currently owns both headphones I'd love to hear more about what you liked and disliked about the MDR-Z1R and the Focal Stellia.
I acquired the Z1R a few months ago. I've demoed the Stellia on a few occasions. I haven't tried the IER-Z1R, though apparently it doesn't sound much like the MDR from what others say.

I quite like the MDR-Z1R. It's one of my favorite closed-back headphones. The sense of space and spatial layering is very good. It has larger soundstage than many open-backs I've heard, and while it doesn't quite reach the stage size of the largest open-backs, I think it surpasses many of them in terms of spatial layering of sounds. It's a different presentation from your usual Harman/diffuse-field-style neutrality though. If you don't really focus on spatial presentation, then maybe the Z1R isn't the best option, because it can sound a bit strange in terms of tonality. Its tuning and presentation works really well on orchestral works though, particularly if a choir is involved - it's very immersive. It's also surprisingly detailed; you wouldn't think it on first listen, or when analyzing the FR graph, but it's easy to hear notes that are being played, even if some notes sound different from what a neutral presentation would render them as.

I wasn't that big a fan of the Stellia. It's fine, it has nice punchy bass like Focals do, but it sounded a bit metallic in the upper treble and otherwise wasn't particularly special.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #467 of 551
I acquired the Z1R a few months ago. I've demoed the Stellia on a few occasions. I haven't tried the IER-Z1R, though apparently it doesn't sound much like the MDR from what others say.

I quite like the MDR-Z1R. It's one of my favorite closed-back headphones. The sense of space and spatial layering is very good. It has larger soundstage than many open-backs I've heard, and while it doesn't quite reach the stage size of the largest open-backs, I think it surpasses many of them in terms of spatial layering of sounds. It's a different presentation from your usual Harman/diffuse-field-style neutrality though. If you don't really focus on spatial presentation, then maybe the Z1R isn't the best option, because it can sound a bit strange in terms of tonality. Its tuning and presentation works really well on orchestral works though, particularly if a choir is involved - it's very immersive. It's also surprisingly detailed; you wouldn't think it on first listen, or when analyzing the FR graph, but it's easy to hear notes that are being played, even if some notes sound different from what a neutral presentation would render them as.

I wasn't that big a fan of the Stellia. It's fine, it has nice punchy bass like Focals do, but it sounded a bit metallic in the upper treble and otherwise wasn't particularly special.

Thank you @SolarCetacean! Sounds like the MDR-Z1R should be along the lines of what I am looking for from what I've been reading about it. I will have an opportunity this week to listen to the MDR-Z1R and compare it to the Stellia before I return it to its owner. I hope the MDR-Z1R plays nice with my Desktop gear and portable sources.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #468 of 551
Thank you @SolarCetacean! Sounds like the MDR-Z1R should be along the lines of what I am looking for from what I've been reading about it. I will have an opportunity this week to listen to the MDR-Z1R and compare it to the Stellia before I return it to its owner. I hope the MDR-Z1R plays nice with my Desktop gear and portable sources.
The ability to compare should work out well! I prefer the Liric and XTC2.5 over both 😂 🔧

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #469 of 551
The ability to compare should work out well! I prefer the Liric and XTC2.5 over both 😂 🔧
I have never come across the Liric. That's the only Meze headphone I have yet to try. I see that the Liric II will be available soon. Hopefully, the opportunity will present itself to try both Lirics and the JM XTC2.5. I know of @John Massaria in name only. I've never tried any of his wares. Definitely hoping to try more headphones at CanJam SoCal 2024.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #470 of 551
I have never come across the Liric. That's the only Meze headphone I have yet to try. I see that the Liric II will be available soon. Hopefully, the opportunity will present itself to try both Lirics and the JM XTC2.5. I know of @John Massaria in name only. I've never tried any of his wares. Definitely hoping to try more headphones at CanJam SoCal 2024.
Wanna borrow my Liric?

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #472 of 551
Liric 2 on order, wonder how it will compare to the original - I always worry about wood headphones weighing too much.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #474 of 551
Solid! Looking forward to your review.
Cancelled my preorder. Seems like the Liric 2 has too much sibilance, that's kind of a deal breaker for me. That, and I can't decide if it looks cool or is really ugly. Leaning towards ugly. Doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade over the LIRIC 1 I have for twice the price.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #475 of 551
I am interested in almost every so called TOTL headphones of well known brands. They are way too expensive for me at the moment but never say never haha!

BUT for me the most sexy, classic but so fine looking headphones are the custom styled ZMF Atrium open. I really want to order one of them one day.

I use to like headphones that have a little bite for guitar heavy rock and metal. I think my HE1000v2 got it and even better the stealth version i listened to. Do you think the Atriums are too soft sounding?

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #476 of 551
I haven't heard much about it post CanJam NYC. The Liric makes me question if I really need to go a purchase a new Amp. There's something missing in the presentation of certain songs and I can't quite place my finger on it.

On some songs the OG Liric sounds like the best closed back ever and on other songs it sounds like parts of the midrange are slightly recessed. The low end doesn't hit hard enough for my listening habits. But somehow, I find myself enjoying the music. The OG Liric is quite perplexing.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #477 of 551
I haven't heard much about it post CanJam NYC. The Liric makes me question if I really need to go a purchase a new Amp. There's something missing in the presentation of certain songs and I can't quite place my finger on it. On some songs the OG Liric sounds like the best closed back ever and on other songs it sounds like parts of the midrange are slightly recessed. The low end doesn't hit hard enough for my listening habits. But somehow, I find myself enjoying the music. The OG Liric is quite perplexing.
Hmm, I found the lows on the Liric to be quite good. What amp are you using? I just got a set of Beyer T5 in and a I can't understand why they don't get more love, they're easily one of the best sounding closed-backs under $1k, and possibly higher. They do have a bit of sharp sibilance on certain songs, but nothing worse than most other closed-backs. For the price, they're surprisingly good. Maybe they're just older now so they get less attention?

I also just got a set of Modhouse Argon V3 in, and those are surprising for their price as well.
I am interested in almost every so called TOTL headphones of well known brands. They are way too expensive for me at the moment but never say never haha!

BUT for me the most sexy, classic but so fine looking headphones are the custom styled ZMF Atrium open. I really want to order one of them one day.

I use to like headphones that have a little bite for guitar heavy rock and metal. I think my HE1000v2 got it and even better the stealth version i listened to. Do you think the Atriums are too soft sounding?
I haven't heard the Atriums, they're on my bucket list. Afraid I can't there, but someone else may be able to.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #478 of 551
Hmm, I found the lows on the Liric to be quite good. What amp are you using?

Currently using 2 DAC/Amps the TEAC UD-505 & Questyle CMA Twelve Master. I'm considering either picking up a Cayin HA-3A/HA-2A or a Violectric V222.. I also considered picking up an Xduoo TA-20/TA-22 to pair with my TEAC UD-505. I've also strongly considered the Hifiman Serenade. As an all in one solution.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #479 of 551
Currently using 2 DAC/Amps the TEAC UD-505 & Questyle CMA Twelve Master. I'm considering either picking up a Cayin HA-3A/HA-2A or a Violectric V222.. I also considered picking up an Xduoo TA-20/TA-22 to pair with my TEAC UD-505. I've also strongly considered the Hifiman Serenade. As an all in one solution.
Interesting. I'd think the CMA 12 would be pretty solid - the 15 was quite good.*shrug* Vioelectric makes good stuff though, not a bad option at all. Never heard of the Serenade, but the 600 and 1000 look cool

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #480 of 551
I haven't heard much about it post CanJam NYC. The Liric makes me question if I really need to go a purchase a new Amp. There's something missing in the presentation of certain songs and I can't quite place my finger on it.

On some songs the OG Liric sounds like the best closed back ever and on other songs it sounds like parts of the midrange are slightly recessed. The low end doesn't hit hard enough for my listening habits. But somehow, I find myself enjoying the music. The OG Liric is quite perplexing.
This aligns with my experience with the OG Liric too. Lower mids are a bit recessed leading to slightly cold/thin sound at times. I enjoyed them for a couple of months but then found there was an emotional component to the sound that was lacking and it started to get a bit distracting. Excited to try the Liric 2 was sounds like the mids will be more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back