The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #496 of 551
The headphone cabinet prototype is coming along!

20240330_115314.jpg

20240330_115824.jpg
20240325_204026.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #497 of 551
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #498 of 551
Very cool!

Thanks. My main listening station is in our "open concept" family room about 40 feet away from the kitchen stove ... and I'm increasingly bothered by the idea of all those cooking fumes getting into my SASH Tres.

If this enclosed (wood + glass) cabinet works out as planned, I might consider making more. It's turning out to be a lot more labour than anticipated though.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #499 of 551
Thanks. My main listening station is in our "open concept" family room about 40 feet away from the kitchen stove ... and I'm increasingly bothered by the idea of all those cooking fumes getting into my SASH Tres.

If this enclosed (wood + glass) cabinet works out as planned, I might consider making more. It's turning out to be a lot more labour than anticipated though.
contact @vikinguy about his headphone cabinet - he may have some insight on how his is built.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #501 of 551
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #502 of 551
Well i will join too.
Nice thread by the way.

I had as a first more expensive headphones a Focal Clear. Bought them and compared them with the Audio Technica ATH MRS7.
As a result the AT went to my brother. Now, after not a long time, i decided that there must be something better. Borrowed Focal Stellia, Elegia.
I was rather disappointed - wanted something closed but the sound quality i have been hearing, was not reflecting the price i was supposed to pay for the Stellia
So, went to a nearby city in NL.
They had Focal Utopia, Clear MG, Meze Empyrian and one model of the Audeze. Well started comparing the sound to the Clear.
Until that moment i was a believer, strongly believing that more money wil bring me better Quality.
Again, disappointment.
All the headphones were very good, i even did came back the next day, to pick up the Empyrian - on the way back home and at home, a thought emerged that this what i want. But after second test i went home with nothing.
The Utopia for me was like a Holy Grail - well not exactly but close:relaxed: - for someone who never had anything like that.
Eventually after comparison - to me - they did not sounded better, after that short comparison i can say that not even different. Smack in the face.
In the end i took a risk and bought Denon AH D9200. I could finally believe again :L3000:- the comparison with the Clear showed me that the music is more alive on the Denon - classical and soundtracks did get the energy back. So i was sold.
As you all know happiness doesn't last for ever in this hobby. So now the Denon is sold. Has been comparing it with the HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 stealth.
Only differences were the sound stage and comfort - what i was expecting. Almost order it. But being active in another thread on the Head-fi.org, found out about the ZMF company from USA. Again brain storm. Maybe i will visit a store here in NL. If i do i will be able to compare some of the ZMF headphones in one place. Would be great.

Some pictures from the store i was comaping the Denon to the Hifiman headphones.

Attachments

• 20240213_131800.jpg
    20240213_131800.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240213_131827.jpg
    20240213_131827.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240213_131832.jpg
    20240213_131832.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240213_131837.jpg
    20240213_131837.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #503 of 551
Well i will join too.
Nice thread by the way.

I had as a first more expensive headphones a Focal Clear. Bought them and compared them with the Audio Technica ATH MRS7.
As a result the AT went to my brother. Now, after not a long time, i decided that there must be something better. Borrowed Focal Stellia, Elegia.
I was rather disappointed - wanted something closed but the sound quality i have been hearing, was not reflecting the price i was supposed to pay for the Stellia
So, went to a nearby city in NL.
They had Focal Utopia, Clear MG, Meze Empyrian and one model of the Audeze. Well started comparing the sound to the Clear.
Until that moment i was a believer, strongly believing that more money wil bring me better Quality.
Again, disappointment.
All the headphones were very good, i even did came back the next day, to pick up the Empyrian - on the way back home and at home, a thought emerged that this what i want. But after second test i went home with nothing.
The Utopia for me was like a Holy Grail - well not exactly but close:relaxed: - for someone who never had anything like that.
Eventually after comparison - to me - they did not sounded better, after that short comparison i can say that not even different. Smack in the face.
In the end i took a risk and bought Denon AH D9200. I could finally believe again :L3000:- the comparison with the Clear showed me that the music is more alive on the Denon - classical and soundtracks did get the energy back. So i was sold.
As you all know happiness doesn't last for ever in this hobby. So now the Denon is sold. Has been comparing it with the HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 stealth.
Only differences were the sound stage and comfort - what i was expecting. Almost order it. But being active in another thread on the Head-fi.org, found out about the ZMF company from USA. Again brain storm. Maybe i will visit a store here in NL. If i do i will be able to compare some of the ZMF headphones in one place. Would be great.

Some pictures from the store i was comaping the Denon to the Hifiman headphones.
I wasn't a huge fan of the Denon or Sennheiser, but that's just personal preference. The HEKv2 and Empyrean were good. ZMF makes some good stuff. The RAD-0 replaced my HEKv2, but it was heavy.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #504 of 551
If i go to Amsterdam, i will be focusing mainly on the Bokeh and Atticus in comparison with the HE1000 v2 stealth. I do like the look of the Hifiman and comfort.
Can not pay more for headphone. Unless, i wil check some other models and my jaw wil meet the floor :L3000: Then i will have to figure out something.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #505 of 551
If i go to Amsterdam, i will be focusing mainly on the Bokeh and Atticus in comparison with the HE1000 v2 stealth. I do like the look of the Hifiman and comfort.
Can not pay more for headphone. Unless, i wil check some other models and my jaw wil meet the floor :L3000: Then i will have to figure out something.
Hmm, your best comparison would be with the Verite and Atrium most likely, possibly the Caldera. But people love the Auteur as well. I don't know much about the Bokeh or Atticus, but someone else can probably chime in on those

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #506 of 551
Are you saying that the Atticus and Bokeh are bit lower ion the ladder than the HE1000 v2 stealth?
The models you mentioned are very nice looking but the prices not :relaxed:

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #507 of 551
Are you saying that the Atticus and Bokeh are bit lower ion the ladder than the HE1000 v2 stealth?
The models you mentioned are very nice looking but the prices not :relaxed:
Yes, I'd say so, but again, I haven't heard them. I'm going mostly based on price. The HEKv2 used to be very expensive while the Bokeh and Atticus are more of the lower tier/introductory models of ZMF. That doesn't make them bad and ZMF is a nice change from the more analytical side of Hifiman. You may enjoy them more just based upon your preferences

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #508 of 551
If I go to Amsterdam I will check them out. But if not I will probably go for the Hifiman. I liked the sound, looks and comfort of this headphone. Denon is sold so it would be good to replace it with something.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #509 of 551
If I go to Amsterdam I will check them out. But if not I will probably go for the Hifiman. I liked the sound, looks and comfort of this headphone. Denon is sold so it would be good to replace it with something.
The Susvara is amazing and my #1 recommendation, but it it very pricey. The hekse is well loved also

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #510 of 551
I also like the HE1000V2. Really comfortabel, with nice sound stage an good sound quality. Just what I was looking for.
If only the Denon was more comfortabel, it would stay with me.
I also have been looking at the Audeze but they are so heavy. Pads not replaceable and pricey as well. At least the ones I like and would be able to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back