The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #451 of 551
Had the chance to listen to a bunch of headphones and gear at the DC area meet this past weekend.

The Moondrop Para is pretty good. At least Sundara-tier, and maybe better.

The Hifiman R10D was pretty neat. It has an overall warm and bassy sound, not as crazy at the R9 that I heard a few years ago, and there's enough midrange and treble to not make it wonky. I think it's like a brighter and less tonally extreme Sony MDR-Z1R, but it doesn't have the same level of spatial openness and imaging as the Z1R. A mini-Z1R for a lot less money and a wireless dongle. The earcups are still hilarious though.

The Diana MR was alright on my Erco. It was more comfortable than when I put it on my head at CAF. I enjoyed the kick of the bass and the midrange was pretty neutral or studio-tuned overall. A bit like the Audeze MM-500 from memory. Vocals could be a bit raspy for my taste, but many studio-oriented headphones sound like that. My main issue was that the soundstage was relatively small and the sound wasn't very open. It just felt a bit cramped spatially and I'm all about space and openness. Now, I was A/B comparing vs the SR-X9000, which is like comparing any gymnast vs Simone Biles; it's a tough ask to be even on the same level. Maybe I would like the Diana TC more, as the MR is the more studio-targeted release while the TC is audiophile-focused.

I got a new-found appreciation for the ZMF Caldera. I usually am not a big fan of the ZMF tuning, and the Caldera didn't really make an impression on me the first time I heard it last year. I tried it again on my Erco and while it's still a bit thicker, warmer, and more intimate in sound than I would prefer, I can hear how it has those summit-tier planar characteristics of bass impact, resolution, and spatial openness. I still preferred the Susvara that was at the meet, but I can see how the Caldera is an interesting alternative - a planar magnetic that leans towards warmth and richness while not fully abandoning the usual planar attributes.

I also heard the legendary LCD-4. That bass is something. It doesn't have the subwoofer-like boom of the AB-1266 TC, but the bass had this quality like it was physically rumbling my ears and head when it hit. It's a different texture from the 1266 with a more controlled rumble. Vocals were also smooth and the rest of the spectrum didn't detract from the bass or the vocals, which is nice.

Another great part of being at the meet was bringing my gear. Many of the attendees really enjoyed the SR-X9000. Some were also impressed with the Z1R. And it's not about purchase validation; I don't care if someone says they don't like one of my headphones. I've had people in meets say to me that they didn't like something I brought (my AWAS got mixed reviews at this meet), and I think that's great, because it's better that they find it out at the meet, on my dime, than spending the money on the headphone and realizing it then. But seeing people really get into the music, coming back for a second or third listen, that's a good feeling. Too much of this hobby is just reading stuff online (and yes, I realize that I'm typing out words for people to read online), so it's nice to be able to let other people listen to headphones that they normally can't try.

A good friend who attended actually found that he liked my SR-L700mk2 more than the SR-X9000, or really anything else at the meet. He liked how vocals were more forward on the L700, there was a bit more richness and warmth but not too much, and the treble level was lower and more agreeable to him. I'm planning to let him borrow the L700 and one of my estat amps for a while to see how he likes it.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #452 of 551
Had the chance to listen to a bunch of headphones and gear at the DC area meet this past weekend.

The Moondrop Para is pretty good. At least Sundara-tier, and maybe better.

The Hifiman R10D was pretty neat. It has an overall warm and bassy sound, not as crazy at the R9 that I heard a few years ago, and there's enough midrange and treble to not make it wonky. I think it's like a brighter and less tonally extreme Sony MDR-Z1R, but it doesn't have the same level of spatial openness and imaging as the Z1R. A mini-Z1R for a lot less money and a wireless dongle. The earcups are still hilarious though.

The Diana MR was alright on my Erco. It was more comfortable than when I put it on my head at CAF. I enjoyed the kick of the bass and the midrange was pretty neutral or studio-tuned overall. A bit like the Audeze MM-500 from memory. Vocals could be a bit raspy for my taste, but many studio-oriented headphones sound like that. My main issue was that the soundstage was relatively small and the sound wasn't very open. It just felt a bit cramped spatially and I'm all about space and openness. Now, I was A/B comparing vs the SR-X9000, which is like comparing any gymnast vs Simone Biles; it's a tough ask to be even on the same level. Maybe I would like the Diana TC more, as the MR is the more studio-targeted release while the TC is audiophile-focused.

I got a new-found appreciation for the ZMF Caldera. I usually am not a big fan of the ZMF tuning, and the Caldera didn't really make an impression on me the first time I heard it last year. I tried it again on my Erco and while it's still a bit thicker, warmer, and more intimate in sound than I would prefer, I can hear how it has those summit-tier planar characteristics of bass impact, resolution, and spatial openness. I still preferred the Susvara that was at the meet, but I can see how the Caldera is an interesting alternative - a planar magnetic that leans towards warmth and richness while not fully abandoning the usual planar attributes.

I also heard the legendary LCD-4. That bass is something. It doesn't have the subwoofer-like boom of the AB-1266 TC, but the bass had this quality like it was physically rumbling my ears and head when it hit. It's a different texture from the 1266 with a more controlled rumble. Vocals were also smooth and the rest of the spectrum didn't detract from the bass or the vocals, which is nice.

Another great part of being at the meet was bringing my gear. Many of the attendees really enjoyed the SR-X9000. Some were also impressed with the Z1R. And it's not about purchase validation; I don't care if someone says they don't like one of my headphones. I've had people in meets say to me that they didn't like something I brought (my AWAS got mixed reviews at this meet), and I think that's great, because it's better that they find it out at the meet, on my dime, than spending the money on the headphone and realizing it then. But seeing people really get into the music, coming back for a second or third listen, that's a good feeling. Too much of this hobby is just reading stuff online (and yes, I realize that I'm typing out words for people to read online), so it's nice to be able to let other people listen to headphones that they normally can't try.

A good friend who attended actually found that he liked my SR-L700mk2 more than the SR-X9000, or really anything else at the meet. He liked how vocals were more forward on the L700, there was a bit more richness and warmth but not too much, and the treble level was lower and more agreeable to him. I'm planning to let him borrow the L700 and one of my estat amps for a while to see how he likes it.
Some great impressions. The Diana MR didn't impress me at first listen, but just sitting there rubbing through my library I kept finding myself getting caught off guard by it. I would find new sounds or new depth and detail I don't normally hear. The MR just surprises me all the time.

I just got a new Eversolo streamer after trying the Qutest and X-Sabre Pro MQA. The Eversolo DMP-A8 combines the best of both worlds - the sound of the Qutest with the software of the Matrix. Then, it throws some great streaming software on top of that. The only downside is the size of the dang thing - it's huge.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #453 of 551
Well... these are gorgeous.

PXL_20240220_230855774~2.jpg
PXL_20240220_230904784.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240220_231646332~2.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #454 of 551
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #455 of 551
Thanks for the reviews! I read the 007 and MR ones. I would certainly like to spend more time listening to the 007; I only listened to it briefly at CAF on the BHSE and in a direct comparison vs the X9000, I thought the X9000 sounded more neutral, more spacious, and overall more attractive than the 007. There was this midrange to treble coloration to the 007 that I did not hear on the X9000 and the soundstage was smaller. I've read other impressions (I think at headphonesty) where the reviewer said that the X9000 sounded more correct (in terms of timbre), but the 007 still produced a better sense of "being there". The 007 is, by most accounts, a headphone that doesn't grab your attention, so I would need more time to fully understand it.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #456 of 551
Thanks for the reviews! I read the 007 and MR ones. I would certainly like to spend more time listening to the 007; I only listened to it briefly at CAF on the BHSE and in a direct comparison vs the X9000, I thought the X9000 sounded more neutral, more spacious, and overall more attractive than the 007. There was this midrange to treble coloration to the 007 that I did not hear on the X9000 and the soundstage was smaller. I've read other impressions (I think at headphonesty) where the reviewer said that the X9000 sounded more correct (in terms of timbre), but the 007 still produced a better sense of "being there". The 007 is, by most accounts, a headphone that doesn't grab your attention, so I would need more time to fully understand it.
Well, I'd love to spend any time at all with the X9000 haha

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #457 of 551
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #458 of 551
Anyone here experienced the Sony MDR-Z1R? If you owned one and loved it did you replace it? If so, what was the MDR-Z1R replaced with? It's been a while since I owned a pair of Headphones, and I'm considering purchasing the MDR-Z1R or Focal Stellia. I currently have a loaner of the Focal Stellia, and sometimes I feel no connection to the music when listening to it. I have no idea what the MDR-Z1R sounds like but hope that it is similar to the IER-Z1R. If anyone has or currently owns both headphones I'd love to hear more about what you liked and disliked about the MDR-Z1R and the Focal Stellia.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #459 of 551
Anyone here experienced the Sony MDR-Z1R? If you owned one and loved it did you replace it? If so, what was the MDR-Z1R replaced with? It's been a while since I owned a pair of Headphones, and I'm considering purchasing the MDR-Z1R or Focal Stellia. I currently have a loaner of the Focal Stellia, and sometimes I feel no connection to the music when listening to it. I have no idea what the MDR-Z1R sounds like but hope that it is similar to the IER-Z1R. If anyone has or currently owns both headphones I'd love to hear more about what you liked and disliked about the MDR-Z1R and the Focal Stellia.
I owned the Z1R. It was better than the HD820, but I can't compare it directly to the Stellia, which I haven't heard in a few years. The Z1R was bassy, comfortable, and has headband tearing issues. The soundstage is also large. That's a out all the positive I have to say about it. The JM Audio XTC2.5 is better sounding in everyway, but less comfortable due to the weight and the quality feels lower. So it just depends on what you're looking for.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #461 of 551
Anyone here is ATH fan? I got offer for W2002 and/or W11R, but have no idea about these headphones' pricing lately lol. Design wise W2002 is really catchy, but sound wise i like W11R more.
Somehow I've missed everything from Audiotechnica other than the M50x (?). They look super comfy though

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #462 of 551
Somehow I've missed everything from Audiotechnica other than the M50x (?). They look super comfy though

Yeah that's their most favourite model. They do have some exotic stuff too, especially the Woodies line up, included ATH W2022 that release (of course) at 2022 for their 60th anniversary (don't check the price!).

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #463 of 551
Yeah that's their most favourite model. They do have some exotic stuff too, especially the Woodies line up, included ATH W2022 that release (of course) at 2022 for their 60th anniversary (don't check the price!).
Oh yeah, I've seen them and laughed pretty hard. $100 worth of paint for 9 grand. They are cool though

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #464 of 551
Oh yeah, I've seen them and laughed pretty hard. $100 worth of paint for 9 grand. They are cool though

The pricing indeed confused me too. Their previous anniversary edition (W3000ANV) had "normal" value.

Back then the W2002 (40th Anniv Edition) got skyrocket price in second hand market though (around 3x more expensive than their new price).

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #465 of 551
The pricing indeed confused me too. Their previous anniversary edition (W3000ANV) had "normal" value.

Back then the W2002 (40th Anniv Edition) got skyrocket price in second hand market though (around 3x more expensive than their new price).
Dang. They looked like their $3k model with cherry blossoms and a phoenix for $9k. I guess $6k worth of paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back