The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #421 of 566
I had been watching that listing for a while, but I was marshalling my funds for the SR-X9000. When you tagged me in it, I honestly felt called out - put on the spot. Like I couldn't lurk anymore, the seller knows I'm interested! But the listing was below my blind-buy price threshold, and you probably saw I had been interested in the AWAS from the closed-backs thread.
Apologies if I called unwanted attention to your interest in that model/unit! I had indeed seen your comments about considering that AT model.

My only reason for tagging folks in ad comments like that is to ensure they’ve seen it- I’ve missed out on items I wanted before and the listing slipped past me.

Hopefully the addition to your collection is welcome and enjoyable!

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #422 of 566
Thanks(?) to @AudioDuck for pushing me into getting the Audio Technica ATH-AWAS from a classifieds listing. I had been watching that listing for a while, but I was marshalling my funds for the SR-X9000. When you tagged me in it, I honestly felt called out - put on the spot. Like I couldn't lurk anymore, the seller knows I'm interested! But the listing was below my blind-buy price threshold, and you probably saw I had been interested in the AWAS from the closed-backs thread. So it's on its way now, and I look forward to hearing it. Everything I've read of the AWAS suggests that it will be a good contrast vs my MDR-Z1R. Getting the AWAS is like a homecoming of sorts. When I first got interested in headphones, one of the only brands I knew of was Audio Technica (from the M50x), and I bought the A990Z as my first audiophile headphone. The A990Z has moved on, but I've wanted to add an AT back into the collection.
Hope you enjoy it! I'm really loving the Abyss Diana MR and the STAX SR-007A right now.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #423 of 566
Apologies if I called unwanted attention to your interest in that model/unit! I had indeed seen your comments about considering that AT model.

My only reason for tagging folks in ad comments like that is to ensure they’ve seen it- I’ve missed out on items I wanted before and the listing slipped past me.

Hopefully the addition to your collection is welcome and enjoyable!
Haha, no worries! I'm kind of glad I just got it over with. I'm sure I'll enjoy exploring the sound of the AWAS. My approach towards alerting users to classifieds listings is to PM them with the link to the listing. That way they get notified of it without them being put on the spot in public.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #424 of 566
This is going to be a busy week in headphones for me. The AWAS is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but this arrived today:
x9k_2.jpg

I was originally going to wait until next month to get the X9K for my birthday, but I wasn't sure how long the inventory at my preferred dealer would last as several units appeared to have been sold in a few days. This was the dealer where I had done a 3-hour private demo of the X9K and several other TOTL headphones, so I wanted to give them the sale if possible.

Also, a PSA for anyone else looking at high-priced audio gear and has never dealt with dealers before: NEVER just click the 'Buy' button on the website. Always email or call the dealer (make sure it's an authorized dealer) first and ask for the best price they offer. For high-value, high-margin products like flagships, they will usually give you a discount. The last three headphones I bought new have all been at least 10% below MSRP just by asking the dealer.

Edit to add: my wife asked if the X9000 was everything I hoped it would be. I responded, "No, they're everything I knew they would be." After all, I had pitted it against some of the best headphones on the market in a long private demo. I had brought along my L700 to that demo to see if the X9000 was a worthy upgrade over it. And the X9000 passed that test with flying colors.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #425 of 566
My approach towards alerting users to classifieds listings is to PM them with the link to the listing. That way they get notified of it without them being put on the spot in public.
Great feedback, thank you. I’ll take that approach going forward! 👍

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #426 of 566
"No, they're everything I knew they would be." After all, I had pitted it against some of the best headphones on the market in a long private demo.
Great to hear the X9000s are what you expected, and that you had the opportunity to demo first against a pair you already had.

The case alone looks amazing!

While I’d not been able to demo the ZMF Atrium Closed before buying, I felt similarly based on extensive research and my love for the Eikon.

Yet it is immensely satisfying to plug the new gear into your own system in your own home and enjoy them as expected!

Also, thanks for the tip on dealer conversations for high-end gear!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #427 of 566
NEVER just click the 'Buy' button on the website. Always email or call the dealer (make sure it's an authorized dealer) first and ask for the best price they offer.
This is such a valuable tip! Took me several years to find that out and would have saved me quite some money.

Heed it @all, learn from my mistakes. 🥲
After all, I had pitted it against some of the best headphones on the market in a long private demo.
Which headphones did you listen to?

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #428 of 566
Which headphones did you listen to?
I compared it against the DCA Corina, the Susvara, the HD800s, and my L700mk2 in the private demo. It was originally meant to the an X9K vs Corina rematch on the BHSE after hearing both on the LTA Z10e at CAF, which some people said was underdriving the Corina. I think the BHSE is indeed better for the Corina (Dan Clark uses the BHSE in-house for development), but it didn't change my preference for the X9K.
If you're interested in reading an essay, I wrote up my detailed comparisons from that demo here. The in-depth impressions on the X9000 itself are two posts above the one linked. I took written notes during that demo, which helped a lot in collecting my thoughts on it later.

Earlier, at CAF, I compared the X9000 against the Empyrean 2 on the Z10e. The X9000 won that matchup handily. The X9K was smoother (fewer notable peaks) in the treble, had more snap and kick to the leading edge of bass (Empyrean 2 was soft-sounding in comparison), and the midrange was "sweeter" on the X9K. The Empy 2 was still a very good headphone, but I would actually pick the Empy 1 over it, especially since I now have the X9000. The Empy 1 has that bassy and "dreamy" character which is distinct from the X9000, while the Empy 2 moved towards neutrality. But all of the attributes that the Empy 2 acquired vs Empy 1 were attributes that the X9000 does better still.

I briefly compared the X9000 with the SR-007mk2 on the BHSE. I thought the X9K was more comfortable and sounded more neutral. The 007 had a weirder midrange/treble which tonally reminded me of the L700mk2. It was darker overall, but with a bit of sparkle in the upper treble. I probably should spend more time with the 007, but I tend towards brighter sound signatures, which is a better fit with the X9K.

I've heard other headphones (LCD-5, CRBN, MM-500, both Tungstens, Stealth, YH-5000se, and briefly the Expanse), but not in direct comparison vs the X9K. Other than the Yamaha, I wasn't really interested in more demoes of them. The Audezes sound kind of shouty to me, the Tungsten is good, but nothing really stood out (though it's sort of a continuation of the old Audeze house sound which I find better than the new shouty Audeze sound), and the Dan Clarks are extremely detailed and tonally even, but dynamically dead and just not engaging or interesting.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #429 of 566
I compared it against the DCA Corina, the Susvara, the HD800s, and my L700mk2 in the private demo. It was originally meant to the an X9K vs Corina rematch on the BHSE after hearing both on the LTA Z10e at CAF, which some people said was underdriving the Corina. I think the BHSE is indeed better for the Corina (Dan Clark uses the BHSE in-house for development), but it didn't change my preference for the X9K.
If you're interested in reading an essay, I wrote up my detailed comparisons from that demo here. The in-depth impressions on the X9000 itself are two posts above the one linked. I took written notes during that demo, which helped a lot in collecting my thoughts on it later.

Earlier, at CAF, I compared the X9000 against the Empyrean 2 on the Z10e. The X9000 won that matchup handily. The X9K was smoother (fewer notable peaks) in the treble, had more snap and kick to the leading edge of bass (Empyrean 2 was soft-sounding in comparison), and the midrange was "sweeter" on the X9K. The Empy 2 was still a very good headphone, but I would actually pick the Empy 1 over it, especially since I now have the X9000. The Empy 1 has that bassy and "dreamy" character which is distinct from the X9000, while the Empy 2 moved towards neutrality. But all of the attributes that the Empy 2 acquired vs Empy 1 were attributes that the X9000 does better still.

I briefly compared the X9000 with the SR-007mk2 on the BHSE. I thought the X9K was more comfortable and sounded more neutral. The 007 had a weirder midrange/treble which tonally reminded me of the L700mk2. It was darker overall, but with a bit of sparkle in the upper treble. I probably should spend more time with the 007, but I tend towards brighter sound signatures, which is a better fit with the X9K.

I've heard other headphones (LCD-5, CRBN, MM-500, both Tungstens, Stealth, YH-5000se, and briefly the Expanse), but not in direct comparison vs the X9K. Other than the Yamaha, I wasn't really interested in more demoes of them. The Audezes sound kind of shouty to me, the Tungsten is good, but nothing really stood out (though it's sort of a continuation of the old Audeze house sound which I find better than the new shouty Audeze sound), and the Dan Clarks are extremely detailed and tonally even, but dynamically dead and just not engaging or interesting.
I've never really connected with any of the Audeze headphones, but I love the Rosson RAD-0, which shares Audueze DNA. Now that Sony owns Audeze, it should be interesting to see what comes of that partnership.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #430 of 566
How would you describe the E3? I consider to buy a closed back in the near future (for public areas so Zmf, Hifiman etc are a bit too "intense" lookwise 😁).

Haven't found anything good though. For reference I prefer "boring"/neutral headphones like the 2020 Utopia over something heavily colored.

I would never understand folks describing Utopia as boring. The only narrative that fits my head is people describing sound boring/fun depending on how much bass they hear.

In reality Utopia is actually an opposite and can be too intense for some. This headphone has it's downsides but I haven't heard faster and more dynamic headset. On the contrary I could easily describe something as Empyrean being boring. Warmer tuning that has good bass, but slam and dynamics are on the soft side. I could easily just chill and listen to background music with Empy, but there is no way I could focus on my work with Utopias

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #431 of 566
I would never understand folks describing Utopia as boring. The only narrative that fits my head is people describing sound boring/fun depending on how much bass they hear.

In reality Utopia is actually an opposite and can be too intense for some. This headphone has it's downsides but I haven't heard faster and more dynamic headset. On the contrary I could easily describe something as Empyrean being boring. Warmer tuning that has good bass, but slam and dynamics are on the soft side. I could easily just chill and listen to background music with Empy, but there is no way I could focus on my work with Utopias
I think people call it boring because it is fairly neutral/natural sounding without any colouring.

Kind of like a comparison between a simple but good dish vs. a spicy one.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #432 of 566
I've never really connected with any of the Audeze headphones, but I love the Rosson RAD-0, which shares Audueze DNA. Now that Sony owns Audeze, it should be interesting to see what comes of that partnership.
Rosson needs to step up it's game in order to finally become something more than a "little Audeze" Imo.

Right now they only offer a single option: The RAD-0. That basically means if you aren't looking for something warmish between 2k-3k there is nothing left for you to buy from them.

They try to gain some market shares with their unique & gorgeous design but it just so happen that ZMF does a very similar thing... in the same price bracket. Though competition.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #433 of 566
Rosson needs to step up it's game in order to finally become something more than a "little Audeze" Imo.

Right now they only offer a single option: The RAD-0. That basically means if you aren't looking for something warmish between 2k-3k there is nothing left for you to buy from them.

They try to gain some market shares with their unique & gorgeous design but it just so happen that ZMF does a very similar thing... in the same price bracket. Though competition.
Yeah, they are gorgeous headphones with some excellent sound, but they're missing some low end and the weight and comfort needs a whole reimagining. Maybe just a set that doesn't have the colors.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #434 of 566
I just built these using 50mm planar drivers and parts from aliexpress. A bit tinny, sharp, and lacking in bass. Needs a tune. Otherwise, pretty cool. Just took some soldering. Unfortunately, it's the only one out of 3 that came complete 😂

17074437421343080662687653276277.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #435 of 566
So, what headphones actually use a cable that is a 3-pin L/R balanced cable? They show up on Amps all the time, but I've never seen a cable that has that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back