The discovery thread!
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #7,531 of 100,524
Quote:
So I checked the stock tips that came with the CKN70. And just as I suspected. The stock tips are not recommended for the best sound on the CKN70. It narrows the sound to your ears and actually restricts some dynamics that channel to your ears. I put a Sennheiser double flange tip on one side and had the stock tip on the other. It was clearly evident. The double flange tip gives much more fullness to the sound because it has a much wider bore.

It is funny to me that AT would go all out on the actual tuning of these earphones yet completely overlook the cord and just use their stock tips. Sony is guilty of doing this as well.  As far as I am concerned the stock tips are no good on these earphones. I will try it again once I get a full burn in but I highly doubt the stock tips will give out the best sound.

You are our representative here.  In the name of all of us in this thread, you should write both companies and let them know about the tips and cable issues.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #7,532 of 100,524
Lol. Ya no doubt.. I have a hard time understanding why AT would use such a cord on these earphones.. Believe me the sound makes up for the shortcomings but man if they actually thought about the cord and actually put in some decent soft wider bore tips..I bet you guys they actually tested out other tips with these earphones. We are talking about guys that have been in the industry for over 50 plus years of audio. If these guys don't know that I have no idea who would..

The difference in the stock restrictive tips and anything with a wider bore is immediate.. It seems much like Sony. These guys have literally one ear tip design. I have not seen one AT earphone have different type tips. I suppose adding some different tips in the package would add to the overall cost. Maybe these guys know that real audio guys will use other tips anyway..In any case. Other tips are highly recommended.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #7,534 of 100,524
Quote:
Going from the FX101 to these. These will have less bass emphasis.. I want to say if you want something with good bass and better dynamics you might find the MH1C to your liking. As those are what I feel are somewhere in the middle of a bass iem like a FX101 to a much higher end sound of the CKN70. But then again going straight to a CKN70 is gonna be a big jump so why not. Go for it.

OK, so the MH1C has better bass than the CKN70?  Because as far as balance within the low end and with the rest of the frequency spectrum is concerned, the MH1C is pretty much exactly where I want it.  I could do with a little more bass or a very little less, but not too far in either direction.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #7,535 of 100,524
Try out a MH1C. It is right between the higher end detail of something like a CKN70 but with a much more emphasized lower end of something like the FX101.. I think that is what you are looking for. Give them a go. Those are great for the cost. The cords on them are not so good either but it is manageable. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #7,536 of 100,524
Quote:
Going from the FX101 to these. These will have less bass emphasis.. I want to say if you want something with good bass and better dynamics you might find the MH1C to your liking. As those are what I feel are somewhere in the middle of a bass iem like a FX101 to a much higher end sound of the CKN70. But then again going straight to a CKN70 is gonna be a big jump so why not. Go for it.

I already have hehe, ordered the CKN70s yesterday :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #7,539 of 100,524
Quote:
Try out a MH1C. It is right between the higher end detail of something like a CKN70 but with a much more emphasized lower end of something like the FX101.. I think that is what you are looking for. Give them a go. Those are great for the cost. The cords on them are not so good either but it is manageable. 

Beware though... MH1c cable is absolutely dire!

I havent had such bad cable experience with any of my IEMs.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #7,542 of 100,524
So the bass on the CKN70s is sufficient then? I don't mind if they're a bit less bassy than my FX101s as long as the overall sound is better, which I'm sure it will be.
If you went from the Fx101 to the CkN70s you would be blown away. Those earphones are okay, but I imagine they sound terrible in comparison.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #7,544 of 100,524
So, I use J. River to play audio on my computer. Currently I'm running through my ELE. I just realized I had my settings on Direct Sound which means it wasn't a direct connection. I just changed it to WASAPI and it sounds amazing! It's a HUGE difference! Sorry for going off topic :p

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #7,545 of 100,524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back