The discovery thread!
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #6,361 of 100,494
Quote:
Looks like the MP8320 has been modified to the new MP9927

New rubberized black version, 3 sizes of tips included..Interesting. Just ordered a pair. $7.57 club anyone?

Looks like the model number has not changed... still listed as MEP-933. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9927&seq=1&format=3#specification 

Based off the pictures it would seem the housing is a bit more refined than the 8320 ( which i own ) aka not as rough\ jagged on the edges which should help with comfort and maybe seal as well.
I loved the sound of the 8320 when i could get a good seal... which was very hard for me to do.  

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #6,364 of 100,494
I just wanted to check something here - I didn't realise what it could be until a moment ago, but I've had trouble with getting my other programs to give me audio with the ELE while listening to music has been fine.

What I did realise, though, is that I have been constantly listening to music with MusicBee in which I installed a WASAPI plugin. Is it possibly the WASAPI plugin conflicting with the other programs trying to make sound at the same time? And does anyone know if there's a way to remedy it without just getting rid of the WASAPI? I know there's ASIO, but WASAPI has been recommended over it a lot of the time and I'm not sure if ASIO might just do the same thing.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #6,366 of 100,494
Quote:
I just wanted to check something here - I didn't realise what it could be until a moment ago, but I've had trouble with getting my other programs to give me audio with the ELE while listening to music has been fine.

What I did realise, though, is that I have been constantly listening to music with MusicBee in which I installed a WASAPI plugin. Is it possibly the WASAPI plugin conflicting with the other programs trying to make sound at the same time? And does anyone know if there's a way to remedy it without just getting rid of the WASAPI? I know there's ASIO, but WASAPI has been recommended over it a lot of the time and I'm not sure if ASIO might just do the same thing.

If I'm correct (there's a reason I don't post in Sound Science, xD.) both ASIO and WASAPI bypass the Windows mixer.

In regular English (like it had to be explained to me), the audio from programs gets run through an internal mixer inside of the operating system before heading out to your soundcard/DAC. This allows you to control things like volume and special effects. Windows lowers the volume by lowering the bit-depth, but when it's set to 100% (and only one program is playing audio) it is bit-perfect (every bit is exactly what it's supposed to be, and the bit-depth isn't lowered) and identical to ASIO and WASAPI.

ASIO and WASAPI take sound directly from the program, through the...err...something, go straight past the Windows mixer, and go to the soundcard. This is useful in studio applications, where you're working with MIDI keyboards. Running through the Windows mixer takes time to process. With a MIDI keyboard, you don't want a delay between when you hit a key and when you hear a note. It makes it very hard to play.

But for listening purposes, DirectSound (normal, regular-old drivers) is indiscernable, as long as you

• Turn the PC volume up to 100% and use the volume control on the ELE...(checks picture) oh wait. It doesn't look like it has...one? That's disappointing. Well, you'll just have to listen at 100% or use the volume control at a bigger amp if you want to use ASIO/WASAPI or Direct-Sound's sonic equivalent. Sucks.
  • Make sure that all other programs are muted/not making sound.

Anyway. I think that the "MH" of the "MH463" stands for Music Headphone. Somic divides their products into Gaming Headphones, Music Headphones, "Stylish and convenient headsets", wireless headphones, and PC headphones. Perhaps, if someone is interested in trying out some of their other products once they hear how AWESOME the EFi-82 MT/PRO is, this would be a good place to start. xD

Also, they own a keyboard and mouse company named Jizz. Eww.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,370 of 100,494
I was just curious, as the V6 has CCAW voice coils, same as AD900X, but 40mm drivers.  Maybe there is someone out there with the V6 and AD900X, but doubt it if you don't!  Sound on the V6 is supposed to be very neutral!

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6,371 of 100,494
If I'm correct (there's a reason I don't post in Sound Science, xD.) both ASIO and WASAPI bypass the Windows mixer.

In regular English (like it had to be explained to me), the audio from programs gets run through an internal mixer inside of the operating system before heading out to your soundcard/DAC. This allows you to control things like volume and special effects. Windows lowers the volume by lowering the bit-depth, but when it's set to 100% (and only one program is playing audio) it is bit-perfect (every bit is exactly what it's supposed to be, and the bit-depth isn't lowered) and identical to ASIO and WASAPI.

ASIO and WASAPI take sound directly from the program, through the...err...something, go straight past the Windows mixer, and go to the soundcard. This is useful in studio applications, where you're working with MIDI keyboards. Running through the Windows mixer takes time to process. With a MIDI keyboard, you don't want a delay between when you hit a key and when you hear a note. It makes it very hard to play.

But for listening purposes, DirectSound (normal, regular-old drivers) is indiscernable, as long as you

1. Turn the PC volume up to 100% and use the volume control on the ELE...(checks picture) oh wait. It doesn't look like it has...one? That's disappointing. Well, you'll just have to listen at 100% or use the volume control at a bigger amp if you want to use ASIO/WASAPI or Direct-Sound's sonic equivalent. Sucks.
  2. Make sure that all other programs are muted/not making sound.

Anyway. I think that the "MH" of the "MH463" stands for Music Headphone. Somic divides their products into Gaming Headphones, Music Headphones, "Stylish and convenient headsets", wireless headphones, and PC headphones. Perhaps, if someone is interested in trying out some of their other products once they hear how AWESOME the EFi-82 MT/PRO is, this would be a good place to start. xD

Also, they own a keyboard and mouse company named Jizz. Eww.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I fortunately do have my ELE going through an "amp" with adjustable volume. Shweet!

And Jizz? Seriously? I MUST get me one of those peripherals, just to make people uncomfortable.

Edit: in other news, I just discovered that sticking blu-tak inside the silicone sleeves of my Brainwavz R1 makes them fit way better. I think it might also tighten up the sound, but I'm not so good at detecting those kinds of changes. A poor man's monster gel tip, if you will. I know people stuff these with foam earplugs to make "hybrids", but that wasn't working so well for me. I think my earplugs are just too big, though. So maybe something to try in the future, but I'm quite happy with the blu-tak thing here.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #6,372 of 100,494

I had a similar behavior with my PC's audio setup. I am busy right now, but will give you some info when a I become available tomorrow.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,373 of 100,494
I posted some a comparison between the EFi-82 MT and the JVC HA-S500 on the EFi thread.

I also e-mailed Somic to ask them what the differences were between the MT and the PRO. I haven't gotten anything back yet, but I'll definitely keep everyone posted on what Somic officially says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back