The discovery thread!
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #5,581 of 100,558
Seems I'm a bit late the the usb cable party
frown.gif
Since I don't want to add any more fuel to the fire and I stated my opinions in my previous post, I only want to say something about two points that are really bugging me:

Quote:

That has been said not only about digital cables, but also about analog cables.  Each of my analogue cables (RCA and 3.5mm connections) has its own sound profile.  Some of them when compared side by side, sound quite similar and I could take someone telling me that there are no differences in SQ between them.  But, others just sound different enough that I would have to lie to myself if I said that it is possible that they sound the same, just to keep someone else happy.  I just tested two digital cables and found out that there are differences in SQ, just like they happen with analogue cables.

Analog != Digital. Yes, Digital still uses analog means to transmit it's data but through the stuff put on top of that, the digital world is not comparable to the analog one. It has a very distinct set of rules, so that you can not apply your knowledge/experiences from one side to the other.
Quote:
We would not have USB cables without technicians, like macbug.  I respect that.  We would not have better USB cables without good observers.  I respect that, too.  So, instead of getting mad with the "because of the ones and zeros all sound the same" argument, I am looking forward to find a technician that would acknowledge what the observers are hearing.  My printer cable and my solidly built DAC cable do not sound the same.  I just observed that and I will not be mad at anybody for not believing me.  I am past at getting mad for stuff like that.  Way past.

Will never happen. Bring this discussion to any technician/engineer who works with this stuff and he will tell you the same things. I discussed it with a colleague of mine, who is our hardware design guy, and he came to the same conclusions as macbug or me: As long as the cable conforms to the USB specifications and is properly shielded (which any USB 2.0 cable should be, since the standard specifies it) there is no technical approach where it could modify the sound.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #5,582 of 100,558
Oi, you can just reverse channels on your computer/audio player program.
Quote:
Got my EL-D01 today.  Open the package, the item is blue.  I check the auction I closed, it clearly states black in the description and says you get what is pictured (4 pictures of a black DAC).  Ok, I can live with blue who cares.  I turn it over, big scratch across an entire corner.  Whatever, I bought it for it's function not it's looks.  Plug it in.  Left comes out of right, right comes out of left.  I contact the seller, slightly annoyed, and explain all of the problems.  They told me they would send a new one (no confirmation of shipment yet) so we'll see.  In the meantime I've had to make an IC specifically for this DAC with goofy footed connections.  Now that it's playing and I'm not thinking about the fact that I waited 3 weeks to get frustrated, had to build a new cable, and had to wear my headphones backwards to demo it until I could build the cable at home, I like the sound.  Very clean, nice sound.  If it's better than audio creation mode on my x-fi titanium it's not by much, but it's definitely better than my phone.  Happy to have something I can carry, connect to anything and have great sound.  Especially look forward to having a phone with OTG usb support in Feb.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #5,583 of 100,558
Quote:
Oi, you can just reverse channels on your computer/audio player program.

Actually the DAC doesn't have any kind of software overlay and windows doesn't seem to have an option to reverse channels, at least on the surface.  Beyond that having to reverse channels in any audio player I use in any PC I plug this into seems a lot more cumbersome than just making the interconnect, thanks for trying to help.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #5,584 of 100,558
Got my HifiMeDIY USB DAC today.  Impressive.  Great Suggestion.  Something this good at $42?  Pure re-duck-ulous!

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,585 of 100,558
My ELE EL-D01 came in yesterday and so far I am really liking it. Very nice sound. To me it sounds similar to my Xonar DX. Seems to be a good bit better than then Sound Blaster Recon3Di in my laptop.

Anyone mess around with the Bassboost on it yet? I've tried a few different ranges, but no sure which one to boost.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5,593 of 100,558
Quote:
/me shakes fist at China Post. 

Mine were "marked as shipped" on Nov29. I guess I'm not entitled to get into fist shaking mode yet. But that sure doesn't stop me from wishing I had my ele dac now!!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #5,595 of 100,558
Quote:
Listening to my TF10 out of the ELE DAC...Great find deezy! Beats the crap out of my laptop's soundcard, especially the imaging! It's a little bass-light, but I can live with that.

Gilly. Hey glad to see your around.. The Ele dac does sound nice. Throw on a little amp and you'll get your bass back.
Quote:
/me shakes fist at China Post. 

Quote:

Mine were "marked as shipped" on Nov29. I guess I'm not entitled to get into fist shaking mode yet. But that sure doesn't stop me from wishing I had my ele dac now!!!

Good things to those who wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back