The discovery thread!
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5,536 of 100,548
9df72a08_img_14985.jpeg

you would think the cable would come from the opposite side of the housing... common sense for comfort.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #5,537 of 100,548
Quote:
Aha. That could be the problem right there.. The double flange. Try using one of the single flange tips.  The double will let in some air depending on fit. The wider bore single flange tip is what I use. Try them instead if you ended up getting the variety pack. They should have come with single flange tips.

Sorry for taking so long to answer but I used the time to try through all my available tips - sony normal, sony hybrid, meelec - and listen for any improvement with the highs. Sad thing is: I couldn't find any. The problem is pretty consistent over all tips. With the larger meelec tips you use I also had the problem that they sit a bit (really just a tiny bit) loose on the noozle and keep getting stuck in my ears when I pull the unit out.

So I either have some kind of defective unit or my hearing is just screwed. The test for the first one would be to listen to another XB90 or have someone else, who knows the XB90, listen to mine. Sadly, that seems quite impossible to do for me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #5,538 of 100,548
Quote:
Sorry for taking so long to answer but I used the time to try through all my available tips - sony normal, sony hybrid, meelec - and listen for any improvement with the highs. Sad thing is: I couldn't find any. The problem is pretty consistent over all tips. With the larger meelec tips you use I also had the problem that they sit a bit (really just a tiny bit) loose on the noozle and keep getting stuck in my ears when I pull the unit out.

So I either have some kind of defective unit or my hearing is just screwed. The test for the first one would be to listen to another XB90 or have someone else, who knows the XB90, listen to mine. Sadly, that seems quite impossible to do for me.

sorry that you have that problem. the only explanation I can think of is that your pair is just a lemon :| 

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #5,539 of 100,548
Quote:
sorry that you have that problem. the only explanation I can think of is that your pair is just a lemon :| 

Nothing for you to be sorry about. Let's look at the bright side of it: this way I at least have a good argument to continue my quest for the best sound for my ears :wink:

P.S.: couldn't resist...
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #5,541 of 100,548
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5,543 of 100,548
Quote:
Quick question - been reading the thread about the ele DAC.  For less than $20, its hard to pass up.  However, I have a fiio USB DAC/Amp E10.  Does the ele compare/is it better?  What would the difference be?  Also, does the ele work with a Mac as far as drivers are concerned?

TIA.

I have a e10 as well. I'll try to post some impressions/comparisons to both if/when it actually arrives. !_!

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #5,544 of 100,548
Quote:
Maybe because we are younger (under 30) and are more sensitive to highs? But the sony's are the only pair of IEM's that I have had this problem with. What's the return policy on these?

Depends where and from whom you bought it. In Germany for example there is a law, that every professional seller has to take back items bought over the internet in 14 days after the buyer received them. If you bought via ebay you should check the return policy of the seller you bought from.
Quote:
kwerdenker:

Here is something that you can do to give those Meelectronics lose tips a tighter fit:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/2610#post_8629095

Thank you for the link. I have some spare time the next days, so I might give it a try.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5,546 of 100,548
Got my little ele dac, it needs to be glued as the board rattles around a bit, no biggie just a niggle.

Sound wise colour me impressed. Sure it's more spatial but not only that, im picking up much more detail and it's also a very subtle sound, allowing me to pick up the small details that my av amp would otherwise miss.

But what i especially love is how it's just as detailed at low volumes, as it is turned up.

With my denon id have to whack it up before it got going, not so much with this i have a nice bit of diana krall on, and im hearing everything and it's all in the right proportion.

For the money dsnuts is right it's a steal, not to mention it'll save me switching the amp on.

I have noticed bass is a bit light, but it's nothing you can't eq for.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,547 of 100,548
Huxley comes out of no where and tells it like it is. Ha glad you are enjoying this one. I am curious to eventually try this.

This SMSL Fort it is called is more of a delux model. Uses the same chip that is in the Ele but an equally small round housing w volume nob as it has an amp section to it..Kinda cool if you ask me. Like that volume nob.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5,548 of 100,548
Quote:
Huxley comes out of no where and tells it like it is. Ha glad you are enjoying this one. I am curious to eventually try this.

This SMSL Fort it is called is more of a delux model. Uses the same chip that is in the Ele but an equally small round housing w volume nob as it has an amp section to it..Kinda cool if you ask me. Like that volume nob.

Well im really digging it so far, great for some nice relaxing music. If i could ask for anything it would be more warmth, but hey at this price you really can't knock it.

Ok just plugged it into my P4 warbler, oh now that is nice, it's added a bit more layering, oh yup im really liking this combination.

Im sure it'll get better the more my ears adjust to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back