The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,761 of 100,564
Quote:
With the right fit, I can't imagine them falling out while running but not being able to put them over-ear would be a drawback I think.  They are plenty light so it could work.  I also ordered the younger siblings in the series, the XB30 and XB60 because I love the XB90's so much.  Those have smaller 13.5mm drivers but I believe you still can't put them over-ear because of the same form factor but I'll report back.  Still, they are not very cheap so maybe something like the JVC FX40 for working out and XB90 for everything else might make sense.

How FX40 or other cheaper alternatives fare for sports? Can they be worn over the ear, microphonics? I assume you had them all, so any further comments would be grateful.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2,762 of 100,564
Hey Ds, thanx for your recommendation. I'm sure that I'm gonna enjoy this bad boys (CKM500s) very much. Do you think that by replacing the tips, would help to improve the isolation? if so, what tips would you recommend?

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,763 of 100,564
Well they have a vent hole in the back of the air chamber which leaks sound to the earphone and out. So no matter what tip you are gonna use it will not isolate as much as a true closed design but it is the reason why the CKM500 has such a nice stage in sound..I did get some better tips that actually helps enhance the stage and sound a bit. I would first get the earphones and give them a good burn in. The Meelec double flange tips you can get on their web site works great and also the Auveo tips you can buy at Radioshack also works great on them.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2,764 of 100,564
Quote:

How FX40 or other cheaper alternatives fare for sports? Can they be worn over the ear, microphonics? I assume you had them all, so any further comments would be grateful.

I just think the fx40 were one the best sounding budget iem's that I've heard thanks to this thread.  I find most iem's worn over ear rids microphonics pretty well.  The fx40's are tiny so it should work well for sports.  I recommend them because the sound vs value is fantastic.  It's built well and quite small, has deep bass and clarity is amazing for the budget.  As Dsnuts recommends, burn these in for best sound.  There's plenty of other budget iem's but the sound signature of these are very good for louder environments.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2,765 of 100,564
Quote:
I just think the fx40 were one the best sounding budget iem's that I've heard thanks to this thread.  I find most iem's worn over ear rids microphonics pretty well.  The fx40's are tiny so it should work well for sports.  I recommend them because the sound vs value is fantastic.  It's built well and quite small, has deep bass and clarity is amazing for the budget.  As Dsnuts recommends, burn these in for best sound.  There's plenty of other budget iem's but the sound signature of these are very good for louder environments.  

Ditto. I A/B'ed them with the FXT90 and there was only about a 10% difference. Similar signature too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2,767 of 100,564
Hell Bloody Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2,771 of 100,564
Quote:

Thanks, man, for taking up some time to answer my questions, especially when you probably were asked these questions before. :)

By the way, what's your source? Did you try any of these IEMs with Sony DAP? Did Sony IEMs would have any advantage paired with Sony DAP? I'm thinking either to get XB90EX with E series Sony DAP (had in my list E465, but they updated series with E475) or Clip Zip with FX40.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #2,772 of 100,564
Quote:
talking about comparisions:
anyone can compare the brainwavz M4  vs the FX40 AND vs the FX101?

I don't have my M4 anymore, but I remember it having more of a low-end, maybe better bass extension. The mids were a bit recessed on the M4, but nothing extreme, just the usual for a fun sound signature, on the FX40 it's more that they don't sound very natural. And although the M4 had good detail, the FX40 is plenty more textured. Also the M4 had driver flex in one channel (common issue, from what I read), while the FX40 doesn't.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #2,774 of 100,564

These are lovely. I got EMS shipping for free. Lol. So this was a nice surprise. Right from open box. One word that comes to mind. Smooooooth. These have a very smooth sound.. @Danny. I noticed the Sony hybrids restrict the sounds on these powerful earphones a tad. Use the Auveo tips from Radio Shack on these. It seems to open up the sounds a bit more.

The Sub bass on these are unreal. I have no doubts in my mind these reach vibration levels. These remind me of a much better  Velodyne vpulse. The sub bass is so strong on these much like the vpulse but don't sacrifice the other frequencies..These are definitely bass earphonesX10. Some of the hardest hitting sub bass rumble I have heard on any earphone. They sound a bit like my EX600 but with an added 16in Sub woofer. Lol! Time for some burn in..So far it is an easy listen but I want just a tad more highs emphasis. I can tell they need a good burn in so that is where they are going. Will be back with more impressions.

I am impressed with the build quality on these. It is top notch. Very strong build flat cable that has very minimal microphonics. Nice added case. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,775 of 100,564
Quote:

Thanks, man, for taking up some time to answer my questions, especially when you probably were asked these questions before. :)

By the way, what's your source? Did you try any of these IEMs with Sony DAP? Did Sony IEMs would have any advantage paired with Sony DAP? I'm thinking either to get XB90EX with E series Sony DAP (had in my list E465, but they updated series with E475) or Clip Zip with FX40.

I don't own a Sony DAP but I bet it would sound pretty awesome with them.  I've been mainly using them out of my iphone and it sounds fantastic.  I occasionally hook them up to the DX100 or the HP-P1 and the sound improves but I still enjoy them just as much without using the expensive equipment.  By the way, I was experimenting over-ear and it does work.  Just not as comfortable but it works.  
Quote:

These are lovely. I got EMS shipping for free. Lol. So this was a nice surprise. Right from open box. One word that comes to mind. Smooooooth. These have a very smooth sound.. @Danny. I noticed the Sony hybrids restrict the sounds on these powerful earphones a tad. Use the Auveo tips from Radio Shack on these. It seems to open up the sounds a bit more.

The Sub bass on these are unreal. I have no doubts in my mind these reach vibration levels. These remind me of a much better  Velodyne vpulse. The sub bass is so strong on these much like the vpulse but don't sacrifice the other frequencies..These are definitely bass earphonesX10. Some of the hardest hitting sub bass rumble I have heard on any earphone. They sound a bit like my EX600 but with an added 16in Sub woofer. Lol! Time for some burn in..So far it is an easy listen but I want just a tad more highs emphasis. I can tell they need a good burn in so that is where they are going. Will be back with more impressions.

I am impressed with the build quality on these. It is top notch. Very strong build flat cable that has very minimal microphonics. Nice added case. 

I totally agree on the tips.  I've been only using the Auveo tips for the same reason.  Almost every other earphone I've gone back to the original supplied tips but the Sony's will always have the Auveo tips on them.  Smooth is a perfect description of these.  These don't fatigue me one bit.  The bass is phenomenal, I've yet to hear such awesome sub-bass rumble and it doesn't just take over the whole sound.  Thanks for some needed impressions and looking forward to some more.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back