The discovery thread!
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2,731 of 100,578
I was at target yesterday, and habitually stopped by the headphone isle.

Saw a bunch of either new or previously unnoticed philips models. Prices were pretty inflated over most internet prices, but it's target...

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the following models? SHE7000 SHE8000 SHE5105

The SHE5105 cityscape looked pretty neat - stylish, tough, and the mic looks cool and useful; although it's at $50 and that's out of "cheap enough to try for the sake of it" price range. anything over $30, and I have to give it some thought.

As a side note, the UE200 is still only $17 on amazon. I've got about 60 hours burn in and some odd number of hours of use, and they're still one heck of a bargain at that price. the $17 version comes with much better accessories and packaging than the newer ($26) product as well, and the sound is identical from my experience (i now own both).
Again, not much of a discovery but i've read surprisingly little about the UE200s.

There are also a number of cheaper v-modas i've given very little attention to previously that i haven't really read much about...

cheers

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,732 of 100,578
Well, my favorite pair of JVCs has already bit it. My beloved HA-FX40s have a short in the cable right at the IEM itself. I'm assuming I might be able to disassemble, clip, strip, and re-solder, need to get a soldering iron first though since my only iron is way too heavy duty for work that delicate. I didn't baby them, but I always had them coiled nicely in a hardshell case, so I don't know what could have happened,  I think the lack of strain reliefs was definitely the culprit here.

I LOVE the sound signature of these phones. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get the FX70 or 80s instead of just getting another pair of these. Something that might last a little longer.

Oh well... RIP FX40s.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,733 of 100,578
Quote:
Hey last time I checked, this is indeed the discovery thread no? Guys that post new impressions on my thread with pics get a title. Especially nice looking new Sony dynamics with the words extra bass on the packaging. I just spent a grip of cash on a new Alienware  Laptop I just bought otherwise I would be all over these. I will wait a bit before I order one but I will eventually get one. In the mean while run with it Danny, these earphones seem like a very nice high end bass earphones. Perhaps these will be the upgrade to the CKS77 and the FX3X,. Which is what I am looking for..

Nvm. I just bought a pair. Need some new bass earphones with wide stage. 16mm drivers! I am all over them!

It's a different kind of bass but I would say it's an upgrade.  
Quote:
I hope these are better than my previously owned xb1000 or i will be very disappointed. The problem with the xb1000 was the recessed mids and screechy treble. The bass though was just pure deep pounding that gives me a good headache

I would say these are better than the XB1000's.  Those were the worst ones of the 3 models.  I actually liked the XB500's the best.  These have the XB1000 bass but much better mids and treble.

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #2,734 of 100,578
How do you think these compare to the Eterna V1 you had Danny?

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,735 of 100,578

The eterna's had a much thicker bass and more mid-bass. The Sony's are all about sub-bass rumble. It's been awhile since I've heard the eterna's so that's about all that I can remember. I would say the Sony's are a big step up from the eterna's if you dig the sound sig. Of the Sony's. Build wise, there's really no comparison. Sony's are much better.

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,736 of 100,578
Quote:
Well, my favorite pair of JVCs has already bit it. My beloved HA-FX40s have a short in the cable right at the IEM itself. I'm assuming I might be able to disassemble, clip, strip, and re-solder, need to get a soldering iron first though since my only iron is way too heavy duty for work that delicate. I didn't baby them, but I always had them coiled nicely in a hardshell case, so I don't know what could have happened,  I think the lack of strain reliefs was definitely the culprit here.

I LOVE the sound signature of these phones. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get the FX70 or 80s instead of just getting another pair of these. Something that might last a little longer.

Oh well... RIP FX40s.

Brainwave B2 and the JVC HA-FXD80, both very nice. 80's more lush than the B2; both refined; more bass with the 80's. But - cost several times the stupid-cheap HA-FX40's. Which some might consider an inexpensive disposable as compared to, say, HiFiman's REO. 
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,738 of 100,578
The eterna's had a much thicker bass and more mid-bass. The Sony's are all about sub-bass rumble. It's been awhile since I've heard the eterna's so that's about all that I can remember. I would say the Sony's are a big step up from the eterna's if you dig the sound sig. Of the Sony's. Build wise, there's really no comparison. Sony's are much better.

The Sony do sound good, I love the eterna but only with eq, drop that mid bass down! Don't think the Sony's are available in the UK though

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2,739 of 100,578
Quote:
I haven't been this excited about a Sony iem for a while. I look forward to them.

I hope I didn't hype these up too much, but I really think they are awesome.  Glad you are getting a pair.  Looking forward to your take on them.
Quote:
The Sony do sound good, I love the eterna but only with eq, drop that mid bass down! Don't think the Sony's are available in the UK though

I really liked the eterna's too but iem's have come a long way just within the last few months.  I had to order mine from Japan and it just came out last week so it might take awhile to reach overseas sales.  I wish I lived in Japan.  

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,741 of 100,578
just out of curiosity how does fx101 compare to senn hd595.

i understand they are both very very different.

in uk it seems fx40 isn't yet available which i understand has better clarity than 101

But if someone can just give me some simple comparison that would be great. !

I fell in love with 595's detail but had to sell it due to finance. It would really mean so much to me if these fx101 that I ordered just now upon reading the reviews here can come close.

Thank you.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2,742 of 100,578
You know which iem kinda reminds me a bit of the Senheisser HD595s is the new JVC FXD80.. The FX101 smaller stage and clean dynamics ,great fun sound with solid subbass and being in ears they will not even come close to the stage that is the HD595. The FX101 is more for casual use and enjoying some bassy tunes.. The FXD80 has a much much higher end sound and while these won't have the stage of the Senns. They have some of the best detail and clean sound for earphones with much air much like an open Sennheiser sound has. Theres the sub bass on the FXD80 is even better than the Senns actually as you can amp them to have plenty of bass end. The Senns not so much. But on the go they have a very high quality sound for the cost they are worth every penny to get one.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,743 of 100,578
just out of curiosity how does fx101 compare to senn hd595.

i understand they are both very very different.

in uk it seems fx40 isn't yet available which i understand has better clarity than 101

But if someone can just give me some simple comparison that would be great. !

I fell in love with 595's detail but had to sell it due to finance. It would really mean so much to me if these fx101 that I ordered just now upon reading the reviews here can come close.

Thank you.

Like comparing a raw potato in dirt to a hot women naked on the beach.

That's how they compare. :smile:

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,744 of 100,578
Quote:

Oh well... RIP FX40s.

Get yourself the FXD70s. It is the upgrade to the FX40 sound more than the FXD80. Think of them as a more refined FX40 in micro HD version. I absolutely love the smooth textured bass end of the FXD70s. They take amping like a champ too. Or these new Sonys might be the new bass champs for me. I have to hear them I am gonna guess some of the best sub bass but we will see. The Sonys for something new the FXD70 is a direct upgrade on the FX40 sound. Very cool looking iems. Can't go wrong with either or. I can safely say Danny and I share similar taste in sound so I am certain these Sonys are gonna be all that he says.. I will add an impression of them once I get them. We will see how they fair against the CKS77, FX3X..

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,745 of 100,578
Hey Dsnuts, I've been following this threat for a few months already. Thanks to your chipos discoveries, I now own the 201s =101s but now I'm tented to get me the FX40s. But I'm looking for a more balanced (clarity, decent soundstage but with some rumble bass) sound as well. Which would be a closer upgrade to what I'm looking for, between the FXD70s or the CKM500? especially now, that my budget is just good enough to get any of these two bad boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back