The discovery thread!
Jun 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,101 of 99,948
Alright, i'm a little confused... What's the deal with the FR201s?
I was under the impression that they were just fx101s with an in line mic. My ADDIEMs had a mic, and they behaved like normal headphones in all my ipods, and just functioned as a mic with my iphone.

Does the mic on the fr201 not work?

Quote:
Gave the fx101s a listen yesterday without any amplification and that seemed to help a little with the highs clawing my ears out. Here's an example of a song that is virtually unlistenable with the 101s for me.

http://soundcloud.com/nickraymondg/two-door-cinema-club-what-you

I can get past some of the vocals and highhats, but when the drop hits the keyboards are unbearable.

I'll give those tracks a listen. I don't normally listen to dubstep, so maybe that's why i'm not getting it. I do however have the plain two door cinema album which is a very treble-y album, and causes havoc through my fx40s but is fine with my fx101s. You're not having issues with the she3580 right?

edit: listened to both tracks. I'm not sure how good a source my thinkpad is, but I'm not having any highs issues. Found both tracks listenable, and dubstep isn't really one of my preferred genres. Not even remotely as crashy, sharp, or piercing as my FX40s.

I did notice though, that that two door cinema club cover seemed to have been poorly mastered, at least in the vocals as they were abnormally sharp. In the second track, it seems to be approaching piercing in a few of the build-ups around 3:49, but i feel like that was done on purpose.

I tried different volume levels too. These songs weren't exactly "easy listening" even with my JH5s in - a tad bit fatiguing to my ears in general. Just an observation.

If you can listen to these tracks just fine on your FX40s but not on your FX101s, then something's different about your FX101s than mine, for sure. Granted mine don't seem to have as much burn in as yours, but I wouldn't expect them to get worse with burn in.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,102 of 99,948
The FX40 and FX101 have replaced my $200 V-Moda M80 as my go-to phones for around the house. The M80 might sound a little better, but I probably wouldn't notice.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,103 of 99,948
An example of a song where on other earphone doesn't sounds good in the bass department is from limp bizkits-my generation, and what i can says is that the 3x handles it with ease :p,..........it is so amazing i think i am a jvc superfan boy now, i might as well buy the fxd80s and fx700 :p.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2,104 of 99,948
Quote:
An example of a song where on other earphone doesn't sounds good in the bass department is from limp bizkits-my generation, and what i can says is that the 3x handles it with ease
tongue.gif
,..........it is so amazing i think i am a jvc superfan boy now, i might as well buy the fxd80s and fx700
tongue.gif

just out of curiosity what other phones do you have?

I'm headed that way as well, except i'm rather happy with these FX101s. They're already so good for the $19. I Just can't see how the FX3X could match that value for $60...

If they do, well that's just daunting.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,105 of 99,948
Jun 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2,107 of 99,948
Quote:
I'll give those tracks a listen. I don't normally listen to dubstep, so maybe that's why i'm not getting it. I do however have the plain two door cinema album which is a very treble-y album, and causes havoc through my fx40s but is fine with my fx101s. You're not having issues with the she3580 right?

Yeah sorry that the 2 I found first were dubstep I know how  that genre is right now. they were just songs that I knew there were good quality copies online. 

Definitely not having any troubles with the she3580s. Since I popped them out of the box they were comfy and easy to listen to.

As I said, things seem to be getting better slowly but surely. So either they're blasting all of the cilia out of my ears, or they're improving. :)

One song that did make my ears very happy with the fx101s:

http://youtu.be/FsOVsOjBsp4

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,108 of 99,948
Quote:

I would take a guess. This thread with the headline. New Discovery HAFX101. Lol.

The HAFX1X is the older XX earphones from JVC. They were fantastic bargain bass earphones only a few months ago. Then these HAFX101 earphones came out. Not only are the cheaper but they address every issue with the HAFX1X. The loose sounds are gone. You get a nice balanced clean sound with solid sub bass. Without a doubt the HAFX101.

So here is what is interesting. While the HAFX3X was burned in over night. I took another listen this morning. The lower highs upper mids peakiness is still there so just like all the other JVC earphones these need a driver pounding..

I just threw on my HAFX101. These don't have nearly the peakiness that is on the HAFX1X or the HAFX3X.
Even though the sound presentation on the FX3X is bigger and more forward than the FX101. So far my well burned in FX101 actually has the more accurate sound. Which is a surprise.

I like the bold sound presentation that is on theFX3X and already beat the poo out of Monster earphones or Atrios imo. But it is interesting that the newer and much cheaper FX101 actually has the better flatter response in the highs and mids. Not as colored.

@Bjaardker.. Keep the burn on my friend, unless this peakiness dies down and is less noticeable so far while it is easier to be wowed by the big sound presentation of the FX3X these FX101 is actually much easier to listen to..So far I have a good 15 hours of burn on them but I have a feeling these FX3X will need at least a 100 hours.. Will start the aggressive DnB today.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,109 of 99,948
Quote:

Yeah sorry that the 2 I found first were dubstep I know how  that genre is right now. they were just songs that I knew there were good quality copies online. 

Definitely not having any troubles with the she3580s. Since I popped them out of the box they were comfy and easy to listen to.

As I said, things seem to be getting better slowly but surely. So either they're blasting all of the cilia out of my ears, or they're improving. :)

One song that did make my ears very happy with the fx101s:

http://youtu.be/FsOVsOjBsp4

I edited that post after listening to those tracks.
Do you have any trouble listening to John Mayer's "no such thing", or pretty lights "drift away"?

Quote:
just got the the fx101. Whoa I'm not used to so much bass lol... The highs sound very "harsh" (I'm not that good with audio terms)
Hope highs get better after burn in...

Man, this has got me wondering whether the FX40s messed up my ears, or whether my FX101s are wonky.
I mean, when i compare the SHE3580, which you could argue has muffled highs, to the FX101s, then the 101s are somewhat crisp. but when I compared the FX40s to the FX101s it's a large difference in fatigue or painful highs to my ears. To me, the 101s have highs that are there, but listenable, whereas my FX40s are now at the point where they're good up to 45 seconds into one of my cymbal crashy songs (Foo Fighters "bridges burning"), by which point i tend to yank them out of my ears.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2,111 of 99,948
Quote:
I edited that post after listening to those tracks.
Do you have any trouble listening to John Mayer's "no such thing", or pretty lights "drift away"?

I've got the pretty lights tune and will look for the John Mayer song later and give them a critical listen.

Of note, I did notice the mastering issues you mentioned, I think it was intentionally done by the guy doing the remix. Not the choice I would have made, but it did provide a good example to show some of the crashiness I was hearing.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,112 of 99,948
Ah, well i heard some crashiness that you were describing, but I'd say that it's just a little more than fair representation of the track TBH. It wasn't painful, just a tad fatiguing and somewhat overwhelming (at higher volumes of course), which very well may have been the song. I'd have to re-listen with the FX40s, though I can't make it through the original TDCC song with the 40s i don't think i could make it through the cover.

Quote:

Holy crap! You should hear this on the ASG-1! The sub-bass is ridiculous!

I'm getting increasingly intrigued by the ASG-1, what with it's unique shape and huge driver...
There are so many other top-tiers in the $300 range that i haven't tried though....

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,113 of 99,948
Too much phones when it comes to headphone or earphones i am like a kid at a candy store and i buy all of them :p....but about the 3x just forget about all the bass headphones that dznuts recomneded so fars cuz this one takes the spot for the king of awesomeness, the bass end sound like a high end alpine type r subwoofer...it is very full, rich eargasmic,deep,airy, lushish, the mids are full and clear, and the trebles are sparkly with no siblence at all. And this is only with 22hrs of burn in :p......the soundstage and 3d effects are vastly superior to all of them .....even on low volume you its very musical and im not jokeing..this ****z the best of the best...and rlthe build quality is much more better with its sexy red color. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back