The discovery thread!
Jun 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #2,086 of 100,604
~8-10 hrs of bassdrive + 100hrs pink noise, the FX40s have tamed out a slight notch more. Crossed over from distinct pain to moderately fatiguing.

I'll leave them in for the day tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,088 of 100,604
Bassdrive.com it's an Internet random station that runs non stop drum and bass music.

We're using it to burn in drivers, because d&b pumped at high volumes makes an absurd amount of noise, and thus probably beats the tar out of the drivers.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,089 of 100,604
Quote:
Bassdrive.com it's an Internet random station that runs non stop drum and bass music.
We're using it to burn in drivers, because d&b pumped at high volumes makes an absurd amount of noise, and thus probably beats the tar out of the drivers.

Excellent thanks. at first I thought it might of been a program. I also use DnB for burning in. Gotta get those drivers stretching!

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #2,090 of 100,604
Is burning in the fx40 with white noise on 3/7 of the max volume on the ipod touch sufficient? I've been burning them in with this method for 60 hours and I've just listened to Vanilla Twilight by Owl City as it demonstrate how peaky the highs are on the fx40 and it seems like they haven't improve much.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #2,091 of 100,604
Quote:
~8-10 hrs of bassdrive + 100hrs pink noise, the FX40s have tamed out a slight notch more. Crossed over from distinct pain to moderately fatiguing.

I'll leave them in for the day tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

try a high frequncy sine sweep from 5k to 20k

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2,092 of 100,604
Quote:
 Whew !   ...thanks for that Buddy.
tongue.gif

Anyway, just in case anyone's interested, I've dug further and found out that the 4 contacts jacks are meant for smartphones and if you plug them into dedicated MP3 players, you'll only get sound coming out of one side, if you keep the button on the mic depressed they will behave like 3 contacts jack.
On the other hand, plugging a 3 contacts jack into a smartphone will do one of 2 things:
1) With Android phones, you get a weird sounding earphone or messed up controls i.e: tracks skips by themself or phone enter into call mode, on some models, you got both problems.
2) With Iphones, both 3 and 4 contacts jacks works perfectly if the phone is on before you plug in the jack, it seem the Iphone is able to detect which connector is plug in.

Looks like I'm stuck with having to burn in the FR201s on my HTC !
frown.gif

Yay finally a reason to why my tracks skip all over the place! I thought my phone was having a fit

Thank you!!

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,094 of 100,604
Quote:

try a high frequncy sine sweep from 5k to 20k

If you're going to do that, you might be better off just throwing it on the Jlab's burn in page:

The audio burn in file contains a nonstop loop of: White noise, pink noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period.

http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,095 of 100,604
Gave the fx101s a listen yesterday without any amplification and that seemed to help a little with the highs clawing my ears out. Here's an example of a song that is virtually unlistenable with the 101s for me.

http://soundcloud.com/nickraymondg/two-door-cinema-club-what-you

I can get past some of the vocals and highhats, but when the drop hits the keyboards are unbearable.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2,096 of 100,604
Here's another one where the crashiness in the highs makes it so I just can't enjoy the bass like I should. 

http://soundcloud.com/griz/damian-marley-welcome-to

I
 highly recommend anyone who wants to see what sub-bass really is to listen to that track right at the 1:30 mark. Most of the music cuts out and all your left with is a a keyboard and a bass hit around 18-20 HZ :D If you missed it, it happens again at 1:43.

Something interesting....Both the FX40 and the FX101 are able to hit that sub-bass more cleanly than my MMDTs. In fact, other than the wider soundstage on the MMDTs, the JVCs seem to outclass them in every way.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,097 of 100,604
Quote:

Yay finally a reason to why my tracks skip all over the place! I thought my phone was having a fit

Thank you!!

It was my pleasure to be able to share !
smile.gif

On a side note, I'm sad because it looks like all my IEMs with 3 contacts jack will be unusable on my HTC and all those IEMs that's smart-phone enabled will never ever plug their jacks into my dedicated DAPs.   ...another-words, no way to subjectively compare the 2 sets of IEMs due to their different jacks. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #2,098 of 100,604
Quote:
Here's another one where the crashiness in the highs makes it so I just can't enjoy the bass like I should. 

http://soundcloud.com/griz/damian-marley-welcome-to

I
 highly recommend anyone who wants to see what sub-bass really is to listen to that track right at the 1:30 mark. Most of the music cuts out and all your left with is a a keyboard and a bass hit around 18-20 HZ :D If you missed it, it happens again at 1:43.

Nice choice of music 
wink.gif

Try listening at lower volumes.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2,099 of 100,604
Just took out my FX40s from their cotton and hardcase cocoon where they have been burning in for the past three days and had a listen. They are starting to sound closer to the RE-252s that I owned previously. Very accurate and neutral. A blank canvas on which the music paints it's scene which I can see in my mind's eye. Very responsive to EQ'ing should I ever need a little extra bass. Speaking of extra bass, the bass that is there is tight and excellently presented. The treble isn't as piercing as it was when I first listened to them from the box. The midrange is beautiful. It's like a pair of budget RE-252s although the lower sensitivity means it's not as 'fast' as the RE-252s were.

Speaking of the RE-252s, the FX40s feel like they are raping my ears as well (especially the right). This time however, the UE tips that I got from pianist, no longer afford me any comfort like they did with the RE-252s. I think might have to create my own 'hybrid' tips for these.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2,100 of 100,604
Quote:

Nice choice of music 
wink.gif

Try listening at lower volumes.

I don't listen at high volumes, I like being able to hear. In fact, I turned it up a bit to see if it was a matter of the drivers needing more sound to clear up, that didn't help either. 

However, things are improving slowly but surely. Now instead of every song hurting there's just the ocassional one here and there.  I'm not going to give up on these until there's at least 80 hours on them. The FX40s are on the burn station and the Fx101 are what I'm listening to right now. I love the clarity of the FX40, but the bass of the FX101s..I can't wait till DeezNUTS can finish burning the fx3x and give a full review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back