The discovery thread!
Jun 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,997 of 100,891
I leave mine on all day on my burn station. Or you can burn them all night.I do one or the other but not both. I do give them a break overnight or day time depending on when I burn them.  These FX40 do need an aggressive burn in and DnB does literally punch out the drivers. I am on 150 hours of burn on my FX40 and FX101 is around 100 now. Both sound excellent. I think the FX40s are done but it won't hurt to give them the extra time.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,998 of 100,891
The way I see it, the DJs on BassDrive drop out the music and talk from time to time and there will be the occasional slower or quieter song.

I've never seen much of a reason to let headphones "rest" when they're being broken in. The only reason you let speakers or other larger dynamic drivers rest during break in is because you want to give the voice coils a chance to cool. The amount of heat produced by these drivers is so minimal, I don't see the point.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy BassDrive for something more than just breaking in headphones :D

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,002 of 100,891
I would have to check a new one vs the burned in one but to my ears the highs cleans up very nicely the mids are clear and the bass is nice n tight..The sounds on the FX101 don't change too much, it just cleans up the sound.  The FX40 however changes more so. Much fuller, more balanced and none of that distant sound that happens on open box.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,003 of 100,891
I will not buy the FX3X because of this thread.  I don't want to burn in anymore earphones.  Dsnuts is the devil.  
devil_face.gif
  (not serious, by the way)  You know I think you're awesome!!

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2,005 of 100,891
Gott the FX101s a few weeks ago - modded them with an ihone cord for volume control/talk/siri.  Burn in at about 50 hours.  Sounds really good (especially at their price).  Wondering if I should get the FX40s as well - does anyone know how they compare to the ety H3's that I already have?

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,006 of 100,891
So I'm still trying to love the FX101s... and it's not happening yet. I've got about 30 hours of burn on them now. That tamed some of the highs, but there's still a lot of very distinct sibilance on high hats or anything of that sort. The bass is good, but not any better than the SHE3580s, in fact I think the SHEs still have these beat from 5-30hz. My biggest complaint though is the generally fatiguing sound they have. Something about the combination of the heavy bass, sibilant highs and forward mids makes it difficult to listen for much more than 15 minutes.

One interesting thing, the FX101 have the same sort of "gated" bass response that I mentioned with the FX40s. When I hook them up to my Digizoid ZO2, I can crank the bass all the way up and at some point they just stop having more bass. There's no way to get the bass up to the point of distortion, it's like there's something built into them that clips the frequency at a certain point. I've never had this happen with any other headphone, all others when you crank the bass on the ZO2 they'll eventually get to the point that the sound turns into a muddy mess. Very strange.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,008 of 100,891
Quote:

So far, only using the tips that came mounted on the FX40. Fits me well. Any other attempts with different tips are out of curiosity.

I envy you and your ears ability to handle IEMs with nozzle sizes up to 5.5 mm.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,009 of 100,891
Quote:
One interesting thing, the FX101 have the same sort of "gated" bass response that I mentioned with the FX40s. When I hook them up to my Digizoid ZO2, I can crank the bass all the way up and at some point they just stop having more bass. There's no way to get the bass up to the point of distortion, it's like there's something built into them that clips the frequency at a certain point. I've never had this happen with any other headphone, all others when you crank the bass on the ZO2 they'll eventually get to the point that the sound turns into a muddy mess. Very strange.

That means they have very good controlled bass, my Q40 headphones behave quite similarly. They never turn into a muddy mess by ZO but at the same time there's a point where they don't appear to become bassier.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2,010 of 100,891
Quote:
So I'm still trying to love the FX101s... and it's not happening yet. I've got about 30 hours of burn on them now. That tamed some of the highs, but there's still a lot of very distinct sibilance on high hats or anything of that sort. The bass is good, but not any better than the SHE3580s, in fact I think the SHEs still have these beat from 5-30hz. My biggest complaint though is the generally fatiguing sound they have. Something about the combination of the heavy bass, sibilant highs and forward mids makes it difficult to listen for much more than 15 minutes.

I feel like you're describing the fx40s.
How are you driving them? What sort of music do you listen to?

I found the fx40s extremely sibilant, sharp and crisp in the highs, while the fx101s are much more tame in that area. I can't keep the 40s in my ears for more than 1-2 songs, while the fx101s are among the least fatiguing. 

I've found that the 101s have the same amount of extension as the 3850, but are significantly less bloated and overbearing. Not that the 3580s are bad to begin with, but that the 101s come across more musically realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back