The discovery thread!
May 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,741 of 100,304
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,742 of 100,304
Quote:
Well yes and no.

The CKM500 represent years of Audio Technica know how and refinement. I highly doubt these new JVC HAFX3X are gonna dethrone those for my favorite earphones but we are talking high quality bassy earphones which for me is in another category of earphones all together.  To date it has been the CKS77 with the new FX101 nipping at the heels of them. But if these new FX3X have more refinements over these FX101s. They should handily beat the CKS77..

If the new FX3X has the big sound and room of the CKS77 with even better clarity, smoother sound, basically the same sound tuning of the FX101 but more refined. That is all it will take. Just for kicks however. If you want to try the FX101. I can tell you. You won't be disappointed. And they be cheap too. Just how much of an upgrade the new FX3X will be to these FX101s remains to be seen.

I see what you mean. I think I would be more into the FX40 since I'm more into clarity than huge bass response, but I do like to have big bass on occasion. I'll see how there FX3Xs play out and who knows I may buy them all. It's kind of like Poke'mon, gotta catch em' all right? lol. 

May 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,744 of 100,304
LOL, Dsnuts, I didn't even have a chance to give my first impressions before you jumped in.

So while I enjoy the CKM500's sound, they have been relegated to home listening because they are just not ergonomic for my everyday subway commute. That extension cord part bugs the heck out of me because of its weight, and it tends to get in the way.

I have been auditioning the FX40 to take over as my everyday beater. Honestly, for my ears however, they are just a tad too piercing. I tested them several times at the store over multiple and separate days. Unfortunately I couldn't get comfortable with the FX40, so didn't buy them. For the right preferences, they are definitely very capable; fast, crisp, good bass.

I tried the FX1X next, and these were just eh. Sounded a bit muddy to me. Tried the FX3X next, and immediately felt comfortable with the sound, in-ear fit, ruggedness, and soft cord.

For me, the FX3X are the alternative to CKS77, with less boomy overwhelming (ear-filling) bass and still great mids/highs. Bass is still featured on the FX3X but slightly more laid-back (compared to CKS77). Soundstage is smaller than CKS77 and CKM500; it's not as airy or spacious. Highs are clear and mids are smooth, balanced together with the low-end. The overall listening experience is good laid-back and really really smooth for my ears. Bass quantity is nearly exactly what I was looking for.

In terms of technical competence and musicality, I think CKM500 are still tops among all of these. But the FX3X are a great find and will be awesome for my everyday use.

As a side note, it looks like the FX3X were released at the same time together with the FX1X in Japan, so technically "older" than the FX101. Let me know what you think when you receive them.

May 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,745 of 100,304
How do these compare to full cans?
I have the jvc harx700 and had the lcd-2.  Now ofc course I'm not looking for iems at 70$ to beat the lcd-2, but wonder how these compare to full cans in general.

May 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,747 of 100,304
Thanks for the early impressions Jeff. From your impressions of them FX3X. I think it was worth the cash to get them. From what your describing they sound like the tuning that is on the FX101s. Can't wait to try them out..

You know what is funny. The FX40s that you demoed I am willing to bet you have zero burn time. The ones I have now have no piercing highs at all and these are prone to be sharper sounding on open box and are very dependent on burn and proper fit for proper sound. They mellow out crazy with a big burn and start to sound much like a less refined CKM500.

@Ghost. You are right about all of it. There is no true correct method for burning. Any burning is better than no burning. A break is good after 24 hours me thinks.

May 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,748 of 100,304
Quote:
These need an aggressive burn. I have a dedicated burn in station which consist of my ASUS laptop and a creative Xfi external sound card with a 5 hub belkin splitter at the end of it. It is brilliant. I just leave my earphones and headphone on a volume level around 7-8 out of 10.

Which is fairly loud using a 5 hour drum n bass compilation. This beats the tard out of them drivers. Pink noise works too but this method for me works perfectly.

Dsnuts - Tell 'em how it's done!  
L3000.gif

May 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,749 of 100,304
Quote:

Dsnuts - Tell 'em how it's done!  
L3000.gif

I mentioned this on the CKS77 thread too but. You know my reasoning for DnB over any other type music or file to burn? They do beat the tard out of them drivers. Any DnB compilation works.. Faster drum beats mixed with crazy amount of Bass from punch to monster sub bass. IT is perfect actually. I guarantee 24 hour burn of this music on fairly loud and I don't care how stiff a drivers gonna be. It will beat the daylights out of em. lol!. This is simply just my method and no one elses but it works fantastic. Every single one of my headphones and earphones have been burned this way and it speeds the process imo.

You guys can get a DnB compilation readily online or at your local CD shop for cheap. Worth tracking down for the burn.

Oh by the way I am gonna mention it here. I will be going on our family road trip for a little relax time. So that means no net access for me. So I will check in on the thread when I can but. I will leave these threads in the very capable hands of all you fellas. And I eagerly look forward to how these 2 new gems are working out for everyone.. Happy listening everyone.

May 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,750 of 100,304
Got the FX101 today. Very impressive actually. The midrange isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, and is actually quite good. Bass is wonderful for an IEM, especially at this price.

I'll experiment with the EQ and see what I can come up with. Something in the treble needs a bit of tweaking. But stock, very impressive.

May 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,751 of 100,304
Quote:
Got the FX101 today. Very impressive actually. The midrange isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, and is actually quite good. Bass is wonderful for an IEM, especially at this price.

I'll experiment with the EQ and see what I can come up with. Something in the treble needs a bit of tweaking. But stock, very impressive.

The treble becomes much better after around 50 hours of burn.. I thought the same thing as well but I would burn them in good. See what I mean about how they kinda sound like a FX67.. Ya they get better and better too.

May 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,752 of 100,304
Quote:
The treble becomes much better after around 50 hours of burn.. I thought the same thing as well but I would burn them in good. See what I mean about how they kinda sound like a FX67.. Ya they get better and better too.

How are yours sounding now? the fx101s. You've been burning them in for around 80 hours now I'd say even more.

Also, enjoy your trip and you deserve some relaxing time!

May 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,753 of 100,304
You guys are freakin killing me lol,    i got the 1x last month, find this thread yesterday and order the fx101 on amazon, log on today to read about the 3's....................i gotta go lie down..... my wallet hurts.
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,754 of 100,304
Quote:
You guys are freakin killing me lol,    i got the 1x last month, find this thread yesterday and order the fx101 on amazon, log on today to read about the 3's....................i gotta go lie down..... my wallet hurts.
beyersmile.png

Lol, you don't have to get the FX3Xs, you should be fine with what you have. I'm considering getting the Soundmagic E10.

May 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,755 of 100,304
Quote:
 How are yours sounding now? the fx101s. You've been burning them in for around 80 hours now I'd say even more.

Also, enjoy your trip and you deserve some relaxing time!

No need to tweek anything for me on the sound. I have my Z1060 on flat eq and these sound tremendous. I do have a fun eQ setting for more bass mids and treble but I find these the more polished version of what I heard on open box. So burn cleans up the overall sound on these including the treble and bass..No doubt I am looking for this day to end so I can start packing.
Quote:
beyersmile.png

I would hold off on the FX3X for now guys as I know they are proper but I want to know if they are an upgrade to the FX101. The FX101 is such a huge step in the right direction for JVCs Xtreme line somehow I have a feeling the X3X is not going to be a huge upgrade in sound. But we will see. I will do a comparison between the 3 XX models just for fun when I get the FX3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back