The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #102,826 of 106,534
INTUAURA Splendor II just dropped in the mail to me tonight. You have a choice of 3.5mm or 4.4mm for the same price. And the DSP Dongle that comes with it is 3.5mm or 4.4mm as Z Reviews was using his in 4.4mm Dongle fashion I’m pretty sure?

I will post impressions in this thread when I get it....
Anything more specific you might share on the Splendor II yet? (humbly asking also how they compare to the Himalaya?)

EDIT: Thanks for mentioning Z's review on them, just saw his review/rant about them and even though I seldomly concur with his opinions or his style of "reviewing", this time I am fully behind his conclusion.
The Splendor II comes with a proprietary DSP Dongle (like the Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk) to sound as the INTUAURA engineers wanted it to sound. This is IMHO a crazy unlikable trend. It's like "Oh, our product is not finished yet and its design and development didn't allow us to tune it the way we wanted... Ok, lets DSP the hell out of it quickly, charge a premium on top of it because we add a frickin fancy USB-C dongle and sell it like its a gooood thing!"
So, in order for it to sound like a 240$ 1DD, you have hook it up with USB, which totally limits its use, and this DSP Dongle you cannot even use with other IEM's if you might have wanted to because it's so uniquely and specifically tuned for the Splendor II. >> It's a no go for me and I move on.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #102,827 of 106,534
I've had that goofy stuff happen, and I ended up getting two! I know someone from this thread who also ended up getting two of something from these goof ups.
Yes, I got two TRN ST5s. Two modular cables included!

May 23, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #102,828 of 106,534
Love the look of the TRN Medusa... so I did a quick and dirty Photoshop to see how they would look like with a more suitable cable to fit the Medusa colors. Ended up using a pic of the Tripowin Sirene ...and now we're talkin' :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

TRN_Medusa_Tripowin_Sirene.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #102,830 of 106,534
So the Falcon opens up a lot when driven balanced but I need a different source, sheesh. We’ll see how the other IEMs shape up first.
Single DD IEMs tend to respond well to extra Vrms, in my experience. Balanced output provides that. On the other hand, stubbornly low sensitivity IEMs like those from Singaporean boutiques can be so current limited that additional voltage from balanced does not seem to help.

It’s still a mystery why extra Vrms seem to help though 🤔

May 23, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #102,831 of 106,534
Single DD IEMs tend to respond well to extra Vrms, in my experience. Balanced output provides that. On the other hand, stubbornly low sensitivity IEMs like those from Singaporean boutiques can be so current limited that additional voltage from balanced does not seem to help.
Since we're talking about Singaporean boutiques, my AüR Audio Ascension is up for sale in the classifieds for those on the hunt for a potentially endgame level tribrid.

1000012908.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #102,832 of 106,534

It’s still a mystery why extra Vrms seem to help though 🤔
I’ve noticed that too, balanced seems to anchor and tighten the bass like crazy, and open up the rest of the sound.

May 23, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #102,833 of 106,534
Anything more specific you might share on the Splendor II yet? (humbly asking also how they compare to the Himalaya?)

EDIT: Thanks for mentioning Z's review on them, just saw his review/rant about them and even though I seldomly concur with his opinions or his style of "reviewing", this time I am fully behind his conclusion.
The Splendor II comes with a proprietary DSP Dongle (like the Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk) to sound as the INTUAURA engineers wanted it to sound. This is IMHO a crazy unlikable trend. It's like "Oh, our product is not finished yet and its design and development didn't allow us to tune it the way we wanted... Ok, lets DSP the hell out of it quickly, charge a premium on top of it because we add a frickin fancy USB-C dongle and sell it like its a gooood thing!"
So, in order for it to sound like a 240$ 1DD, you have hook it up with USB, which totally limits its use, and this DSP Dongle you cannot even use with other IEM's if you might have wanted to because it's so uniquely and specifically tuned for the Splendor II. >> It's a no go for me and I move on.
It’s in the mail, so impressions when it is here. Actually I look at DSP as a way to get components of replay which are different than what can be stock. I don’t look at it as engineers not meeting their expectations at all. They are offering 2 sounds and I bet a few will like the DSP module and I few without? :)

May 23, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #102,835 of 106,534
It’s in the mail, so impressions when it is here. Actually I look at DSP as a way to get components of replay which are different than what can be stock. I don’t look at it as engineers not meeting their expectations at all. They are offering 2 sounds and I bet a few will like the DSP module and I few without? :)
I understand, and everyone can either see this trend as a feature or a bug. Thing is that Z got the impression, that the Splendor II dosn't sound like a 240$ IEM without the dongle, and that's what puts me probably off. If such an approach is like "wow, they sound really good naturally, and with the DSP they even sound better", than it's OKish, but if you would need that dongle for an IEM to compete within its price range, then, as an analogy, it feels like someone who needs glasses to see sharp, but when he doesn't wear them, everything is blurred... who would do this in real life?

May 23, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #102,836 of 106,534
I understand, and everyone can either see this trend as a feature or a bug. Thing is that Z got the impression, that the Splendor II dosn't sound like a 240$ IEM without the dongle, and that's what puts me probably off. If such an approach is like "wow, they sound really good naturally, and with the DSP they even sound better", than it's OKish, but if you would need that dongle for an IEM to compete within its price range, then, as an analogy, it feels like someone who needs glasses to see sharp, but when he doesn't wear them, everything is blurred... who would do this in real life?
I’m not aware that the dongle of Splendor 2 has EQ baked in 🤔 interesting. I should measure with and without it. I do hear the tonal balance and shape of the stage a bit different, but I attributed to the weaker amp that fail to drive the bass properly. We will see.

i also kinda disagree that this IEM sounds bad without the dongle. It has the bass and the stage that I find quite nice.

The whole packaging feels a bit amateur though. Like a small mom and pop shop somewhere. Still, generous accessories.

Edit: I was wrong, the dongle indeed has built in DSP 🤯

00FB544D-D5C0-49DF-B878-1A29FAA6F3A2.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #102,837 of 106,534
@Leonarfd I read your comments about the CADENZA 4.

Have to agree that technical and neutralily is just sublime on the iem, but I would prefer some "switches" or filters to get a little bit of bass. Sometimes I feel them a little bit lifeless.

Anyways, build and performance its nice for the price asked.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #102,838 of 106,534
@Leonarfd I read your comments about the CADENZA 4.

Havr to agree that technical and neutralily is just sublime on the iem, but I would prefer some "switches" or filters to get a little bit of bass. Sometimes I feel them a little bit lifeless.

Anyways, build and performance its nice for the price asked.
For my taste also, a little more bass and it would be perfect. But Letshuoer models I have tried all been a little safe on bass side.

Use them now without EQ, but when at home with Hiby dap I apply a small dynamics bass boost with the plugin 👌

May 23, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #102,839 of 106,534
i also kinda disagree that this IEM sounds bad without the dongle. It has the bass and the stage that I find quite nice.
Z didn't say it sounds bad, he just said its not playing within its peers without the dongle. And there's my problem with this hole DSP dongle trend. But sure, for people solely listening via their smartphones, this might add some value... but is that us here? As you mentioned, you like switches and nozzle tunings, as I do, so don't get me wrong, this DSP hype is not a big deal for me, even though I might have sounded really pixxed about it. I'm not, because we gladly have such a vast number of alternatives that I just look elsewhere, that's all.

May 23, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #102,840 of 106,534
Questions answered!
$49.00 USD

TWISTURA D-Major​

10MM DUAL-CHAMBER DUAL-MAGNETIC DYNAMIC DRIVER IEMS​

• Craftsmanship at Its Finest
  • Dual-Chamber Dual-Magnetic Dynamic Driver
  • Professional Material Selection
  • Interchangeable Cable Design for Versatile Listening
  • Two Interchangeable Ear Tips
  • Enhanced Acoustic Airflow Design
  • Premium 0.78mm Silver-Plated Cable
  • Soft and Comfortable Silicone Ear Tips
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 7.28.06 PM.png

Oh.....wait a second here :).................another one, what........a DSP IEM? What? They are maybe doing this to enhance cellphone use? Z Reviews was right, this is the future, how many more will follow in the coming days and weeks? The INTUAURA SplendorIl and TWISTURA-D-Major both have DSP units?
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 7.30.57 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back