The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #102,151 of 107,023
Thanks for rec! I like Variations. Great iem. Technicalliy better than my FH9. Very good iem.
I feel the FH9 better ln technicalities, timbre is also better, but VARIATIONS is so close being more musical, that make it feel more enjoyable

Anyways, both are nice picks.

I recommend you to Eq'd the bass 100 peak shelf of the VARIATIONS, to make them more impressive (it has a really nice dynamic driver)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #102,152 of 107,023
I like the cute hip flask kinda design of hip dac 3
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/echobox-explorer.22912/

Don't forget the (maybe cool) flask that came out, and was offered to unsuspecting purchasers!

In the end it sounded the exact same as a 2018 cellphone! Sad but true!
1-Main_Pic.jpg

May 20, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #102,153 of 107,023
Ok I guess I am allowed to show the collab bundle. :wink:

Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs PILGRIM Noir, comes with a Effect Audio Eros S Noir Cable. I have all my EA cables terminated with ConX so...hey, Pen Ear is not a problem.

Note: PILGRIM is in caps. :thinking:

And the PILGRIM OG.
And some measurements, with my favourite Bamboo tips:

Cyan: PILGRIM OG
Purple: PILGRIM NOIR
1716197655324.png
\

Man, I guess I should also try learning how to use REW properly.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #102,154 of 107,023
And some measurements, with my favourite Bamboo tips:

Cyan: PILGRIM OG
Purple: PILGRIM NOIR
1716197655324.png
\

Man, I guess I should also try learning how to use REW properly.
I like OG graph better tho

May 20, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #102,155 of 107,023
A new contender for the budget favorite three and the rediscovery - the KZ DQ6S (17 USD inc. tax)

The channels inside look solid, maybe something has changed since the legendary topology mishap. I don't know, sound is really good.

IMG_20240520_122937.jpg
IMG_20240520_123040.jpg

May 20, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #102,156 of 107,023
So how is it baseless? Where's the research you've read that led you to call his worries and mine baseless? What's the scientific explanation for why a very large group of humans are worried about phone energy but not EST drivers?
I have numerous friends and family in the medical and scientific fields, and my background is in law, so I've read more precedent than I care to consider.

The frequencies emitted by these devices have no measurable effect on tissue. This isn't like putting a tiny microwave or radar station in your ear. Electrostats are not dangerous (and these are electrets, far weaker), it's very mature and well understood tech. Suggesting they are dangerous, without basis, is irresponsible. Your post amounts to scaremongering, nothing more, and I won't be addressing it further.

May 20, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #102,157 of 107,023
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

EA1000_nozzles_graph.jpg

These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?

@DynamicEars any guess?

Look at this beauty

Explorer.jpg

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #102,158 of 107,023
A new contender for the budget favorite three and the rediscovery - the KZ DQ6S (17 USD inc. tax)

The channels inside look solid, maybe something has changed since the legendary topology mishap. I don't know, sound is really good.

IMG_20240520_122937.jpg
IMG_20240520_123040.jpg
I'll be pulling the trigger on the Hydro soon to compare how CCA manage to achieve a totl presentation/tonality - by implementing better BA's than the Rhapsody...

May 20, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #102,159 of 107,023
@PhonoPhi casually brought up something in passing that had me thinking. Anyone read any research about EST electromagnetics and how that could show an increased potential for brain cancer? Several big name musicians developed brain cancer. So many people worrying about their cell phones, and those typically aren't at your ear for hours at a time, while an EST driver could and would. Just interesting, because of the energy it emits.
Regarding this issue - BT earphones are definitely a proven health hazard....I guess that EST electromagnetics must be emanating a toroidal field, which in turn, no doubt interacts with the toroidal field produced by our pineal gland?? This crucial gland is comprised of piezo electric crystals. MF Trio are my only EST set - & luckily I don't use them often enough to be concerned.

May 20, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #102,160 of 107,023
@activatorfly Hydro looks great, especially internals implementation for KZ/CCA. Tuning wise it looks also nice

May 20, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #102,162 of 107,023
These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?
Can be that the metal mesh is different?

May 20, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #102,164 of 107,023
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

@DynamicEars any guess?

Look at this beauty

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)
Intrresting graphs. I would suggest to look at nornalization first. If dB values are correct (and they should be) the non-normalized graph for the red nozle should be higher in magnitude/intensity. Software then likely normalizes all graphs by default to the same intensities at 1 kHz or lower.
As for the frequency shifts - oscillator dampening decreases its frequency, and it should be applicable to the standing sound waves in the coupler (enough of the older Phonophi, right?)
I have numerous friends and family in the medical and scientific fields, and my background is in law, so I've read more precedent than I care to consider.

The frequencies emitted by these devices have no measurable effect on tissue. This isn't like putting a tiny microwave or radar station in your ear. Electrostats are not dangerous (and these are electrets, far weaker), it's very mature and well understood tech. Suggesting they are dangerous, without basis, is irresponsible. Your post amounts to scaremongering, nothing more, and I won't be addressing it further.
Scaremongering is not right.
Bringing potential concerns should be right (and potentially helpful).
Bringing concerns about concerns should be similarly instructive.
Scaremongering efforts to shut down any potential concerns are not right as well (and perhaps the most to be concerned with, given the tendencies of the current "cancel culture").

I hope we all (here and elsewhere in life) can find a good balance in polite and respectful discussions.

I'll be pulling the trigger on the Hydro soon to compare how CCA manage to achieve a totl presentation/tonality - by implementing better BA's than the Rhapsody...
Aren't the BA drivers absolutely the same in Rhapsody and Hydro?
They are the same according to KZ description, just twice more drivers in Hydro. More drivers is better in several aspects: smoother, more details potentially without "artificial treble boosting", while less directly influencing tonality. The tonality here is largely determined by the DD-BA junction: frequencies and the relative intensities of the implemented crossover.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back