The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #101,521 of 103,555
Ey? A sanely tuned single DD CFA IEM exists?
In your dreams!

Oh also congrats on being featured on the homepage for your Symphonium Crimson review! Keep up the good work buddy!

May 15, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #101,522 of 103,555
Polaris (1DD) is very nice iem which reminds me truly Olina SE. Very underrated stuff.
graph - 2024-05-15T053800.097.png
Almost identical! I've never heard the Olina though.

May 15, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #101,523 of 103,555
Almost identical! I've never heard the Olina though.
If i recalled it right, Olina was HBB attempt to create 80% of Oxygen in less than half the price.
he believed that he get a very similar driver with the one in Oxygen and then release Olina with Tripowin.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #101,524 of 103,555
This track is absolutely nuts with the high resolution BA bass on the Conch V11. Loving this set! Pairs well with the CDA-M1P.

1000005815.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #101,525 of 103,555
Hello everyone

These are my quick impressions of the TRN ST7. I stumbled upon the TRN ST7 in this very thread. Curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to give it a try.

Priced affordably, this IEM offers a remarkable sound quality, especially when paired with a budget dongle like the FiiO KA11.

Pros:
  • Budget-friendly price point
  • Comfortable fit, average nozzle size
  • Good bass performance, though I prefer more sub-bass and mid-bass
  • Detailed male and female vocals
  • Excellent treble performance, detailed cymbal strikes
  • Impressive technical abilities and detail retrieval
  • I found that using my own ear tips improved the sound isolation, making it suitable for use in loud environments.

Cons:
  • Male vocals may sound a bit lean
  • Higher pitched vocals and instruments (like electric guitars and trumpets) are a bit emphasized and can be slightly shouty with certain songs
  • Connector design similar to QDC connector (maybe it is QDC)
  • No carrying case but that is expected at this price
  • A microphone would be nice at this price
A/B testing with the DUNU Titian S left me shocked; the ST7 outperformed it in many areas. The ST7 also sounded smoother, particularly noticeable with vocals, drum kicks, cymbal strikes, and live music.

Overall, the TRN ST7 is an excellent choice for a budget IEM with exceptional technical performance and detail retrieval. If I am buying an IEM for $60 or more, I could see myself looking at other options for different tuning as well, especially when IEMs go on sale.

While the budget segment of the market has seen significant improvements, I've also noticed that the mid-range and high-end segments have improved as well. In fact, I feel that many IEMs in the $60 to $80 price range sound much better than the ST7.

This is just my opinion.

Check out the pictures and frequency response measurement below for a closer look at the TRN ST7.

graph - 2024-05-15T102637.378.png
1.png
IMG_20240515_104324.jpg
IMG_20240515_104336.jpg

IMG_20240515_104356.jpg
Pretty close to my impressions as well as several others. Yeah. Want sub bass rumble? Look elsewhere. These are not that. Mid bass punch yes. It's there. Elastic bass. Whomp whomp rumble? Nope. Very accurate assessment.

Microphone? I HATE MICS! Isn't a mic option available?

I did some tip rolling, and the Lacquer tips were not very good for the ST7. Neither did the S&S or the CP360. Then I put on the large Aur tips that came with the Aures, and BLISSFUL SYNERGY! It actually improved the sound, if you can believe that?! The Aure is a 6+1, so maybe with this 5+2, this tip was made for this kind of hybrid, because it sure married it's sound in a way I wasn't expecting. It's even exceeded the sound with the Spiral Dot tips, which I had on it previous. These Aure tips were on my Sennheiser IE100 Pro, which now have those Spiral Dots and resides in the wooden box. Too bad I couldn't get anymore of these tips without having to order another Aur Audio IEM.

May 15, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #101,526 of 103,555
I believe the upcoming Alba though much cheaper than the Advar will address this area of concern. Only time will tell.

I tried the Alba at Can Jam. It did fix the tonal issues of the Advar, and the Alba was very smooth in the treble regions.

However, the Alba's technicalities were not that great, and sounded quite veiled. They are retailing at different price points though, their rep was saying the Alba was going to be $100ish USD, but if I do compare the Alba against $100ish single DDs, I would say the technicalities are at best average.

During its released, i remember i was like, "Another cheap single DD from KZ? another V shape DD attempt?"
and PaulWasabi and other reviewer, "No, this one is good, balanced one"

I think its a release timing issue. this was released after a LOT of budget 1dd from KZ
but then again, its KZ where release timing is often an issue.
EDX Pro X is often sub$10 iem with EA500LM FR but there are no marketing for it because it got swallowed by ZSN Pro 2 release or EDX-lite debacle i forgot
and there are not even any third party FR for it until recently (like awhile after release) with OBODIO/Kesobie measurement.
---
1715748726428.png

That's the problem with KZ. They do release decent IEMs, but every 1 good one is hidden behind 10 other sidegrade weekly spam that have no value-add.

Yeah I understand their modus operandi of throwing as much stuff on the wall and hoping one finally sticks, but put yourself in the shoes of a lay-consumer, they would have to trudge through a lot of chaff just to get to that one decent gem. Then next week, another KZ comes out, so consumers are downright confused on what to get.

May 15, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #101,527 of 103,555
Cool mixing effect that the ST7 handled with aplomb on David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. It's part of it's ability to present a spatial soundscape that can get orbital. The drum kick appears to come from the back of your head down your neck. Very cool instrument placement, and a great classic album.

May 15, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #101,528 of 103,555
Pretty close to my impressions as well as several others. Yeah. Want sub bass rumble? Look elsewhere. These are not that. Mid bass punch yes. It's there. Elastic bass. Whomp whomp rumble? Nope. Very accurate assessment.

Microphone? I HATE MICS! Isn't a mic option available?

I did some tip rolling, and the Lacquer tips were not very good for the ST7. Neither did the S&S or the CP360. Then I put on the large Aur tips that came with the Aures, and BLISSFUL SYNERGY! It actually improved the sound, if you can believe that?! The Aure is a 6+1, so maybe with this 5+2, this tip was made for this kind of hybrid, because it sure married it's sound in a way I wasn't expecting. It's even exceeded the sound with the Spiral Dot tips, which I had on it previous. These Aure tips were on my Sennheiser IE100 Pro, which now have those Spiral Dots and resides in the wooden box. Too bad I couldn't get anymore of these tips without having to order another Aur Audio IEM.
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I actually wasn't aware of the mic option, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll update my post accordingly. The Lacquer tips sound interesting; I've never bought anything from Penon before, but I'm curious to try them out now. How do they compare to the Divinus Velvet or Final Type E tips? I'm a big fan of those, as well as the DUNU S&S tips. I've also given the DUNU S&S and a few Spinfits a try with the ST7, but they didn't quite work for me. The Aur tips you mentioned seem impressive. It would've been great if they were up for sale!

May 15, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #101,529 of 103,555
During its released, i remember i was like, "Another cheap single DD from KZ? another V shape DD attempt?"

I think its a release timing issue. this was released after a LOT of budget 1dd from KZ
EDX Pro X is often sub$10 iem with EA500LM FR but there are no marketing for it because it got swallowed by ZSN Pro 2 release or EDX-lite debacle i forgot
and there are not even any third party FR for it until recently (like awhile after release) with OBODIO/Kesobie measurement.
---
1715748726428.png
This kind of tuning with a replaceable cable for like 6 bucks is insane.

May 15, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #101,532 of 103,555

---
1715748726428.png
For me Polaris is better set then Edx Little or Edx Pro X, D-Fi, Zvx.

Edx Pro X is a bit too bright and need to be moded.
Zsn pro2 is definitely too bright, but I can't fix it, so I sold mine.

My moded Polaris is probably flattest pina gain iem from CCA/KZ, but unfortunately I haven't measurement rig. :frowning2:

May 15, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #101,533 of 103,555
I’m enjoying that you guys are posting some music, I love seeing what people are into. Not sure how much we can post on this thread though since there’s already a massive music thread.
Truth to be told, i don't travel far in Headfi.
Discovery, DAC/AMP, brand specific, some gear specific (BTR5, Hifiman HE400-ish)
thats basically it.

May 15, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #101,534 of 103,555
IMG_7713.jpeg
Spending my free time starting a new character in Elden Ring to prep for the DLC, easy to drive QT-X, perfect for late night Steam Deck binge sessions.

May 15, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #101,535 of 103,555
5. Trio. Trio is another strong competitor, which feels more cozy and intimate compared to Pro 2. I do understand why many like Trio. If one likes Trio, and not fond of rich treble - Pro 2 may not be the way to go. If both Trio and treble are liked - Pro 2 can offer more openness, range and stage.

Overall, ZS10 pro 2 is a great IEM to my ears along ZS10 pro reknowned heritage.

Second day, several hours in . Like zs10 Pro2 over Trio for the reasons you say: Treble rich without sibilance, openness in the orbital staging and the wider range. Electric guitars twang and sing in the Aful P8 way.

I didn't expect that. For some genre like doom metal I would still take Trio for its warmer & more mid bass.

But ZS10 Pro2 has a lovely punchy quality bass, tight, unlike trio 's trumpety version to quote @fidgeraldo. And treble is way better, refined. And I get the feeling it would get/feel better with more use.

But agree with your assessment of trio vs Pro2.. depends on preference which one higher.

But in the end, for a cumulative price of 50 dollars, two gems that will stay with me with different signatures. Great value for money. May kz continue to grow in this direction ( with hydro (and these 2), looks like they are churning out good quality VFM iems this season).
Overall, good season for cheapies with quality like @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 said while talking about trnst17

To move higher up and spend more money in mid-fi, it better be as good, as posh tonality as Miroak-II and ilk, or good tech stuff like EST and isobars etc which kz hasn't got around doing yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back