The discovery thread!
May 8, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #100,861 of 102,848
Just struck me why I really dig my Trio. I use the prat dynamics plugin (bass, treble, mids) from joebloggs on my source device HiBY M300 and also his 'limit bias' slider. I don't know details of their functioning, but together it does couple of things: that 'thinness' is gone and that oomph slam on how bass slams magnifies.
When you wrote thinness, that pricked my ears and I went to my device and realised I have em on default these days and taken em for granted. A/b ed ( sorry, we don't use compared!) it on and off the plugin, and I can hear what you hear.

Used to use soundstage plugins before but they don't satisfy me for long and so stopped those.

Thanks @Joe Bloggs for elevating the aural experience.
I tried out the Hiby R6 Pro soundfield plug in - I keep it disabled as it basically just boosts gain, however at the cost of stage & air...

May 8, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #100,862 of 102,848
In the upcoming iems from KZ/CCA house

KZ have KZ Vader which is a reshelled and retuned CCA Trio, a 3 x 8mm DD at $33

1715176611915.png
1715177049475.png

KZ also going to release an Angel Ear collab (i think AS16 Pro X is a trial one),
KZ Libra which will have KZ latest gen DD (the super linear one) priced at $15 ish (a rebranded new edx line?)

1715176803147.png

the iem is rather good looking, reminds me of Ikko iem and it came with rather beautiful promo image from AngelEars
kinda makes me curious on how KZ will tuned this one.

1715176820081.jpeg

Also apparently a third one, KZ Merga. a 2 dynamic driver iem
which apparently aimed to be "super cost effective" as in this will be a cheap 2 DD from KZ...
Castor is at $12~15. This will be below THAT price?
a sub $10 like EDX-lite? so possibly cheaper 2x DD in EDXlite fully plastic shell.

1715176914669.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #100,863 of 102,848
In the upcoming iems from KZ/CCA house

KZ have KZ Vader which is a reshelled and retuned CCA Trio, a 3 x 8mm DD at $33

KZ also going to release an Angel Ear collab (i think AS16 Pro X is a trial one),
KZ Libra which will have KZ latest gen DD (the super linear one) priced at $15 ish (think of rebranded EDX line i suppose)

It came with rather beautiful promo image from AngelEars
kinda makes me curious on how KZ will tuned this one.

which apparently aimed to be "super cost effective" as in this will be a cheap 2 DD from KZ...

Libra 2.jpg

KZ pokemon + waifu is a very lethal combination.

Sales will hit one billion or more. Moondrop is in trouble....

May 8, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #100,864 of 102,848

KZ pokemon + waifu is a very lethal combination.

Sales will hit one billion or more. Moondrop is in trouble....

lotsa people praised that one super-linear DD
it now have rather fetching shell, possibly waifu box, and had they tuned really well...
---

long ago people bitch about KZ/CCA have rather confusing naming scheme with CXS, CKX, CRA
and CCA decided to actually named their iem, with constellation name with CCA Lyra as the first among many Constellation series.
but then the idea went rather forgotten and it seems AngelEars is picking up that theme

KZ & Angelears<Libra>
The first collaboration!
We are currently working together on a "constellation" themed earphone, which is a very special product.
---
Also the Angel ears commission on the promo image is FAR better looking picture than CCA commissioned waifu...

1715177432038.png

yes, this out of nowhere waifu is posted by CCA marketing team without any accompanied iem or anything.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #100,865 of 102,848
a sub $10 like EDX-lite? so possibly cheaper 2x DD in EDXlite fully plastic shell.

1715176914669.jpeg
This is pretty. Is this the same 8mm driver in Trio?

May 8, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #100,866 of 102,848
This is pretty. Is this the same 8mm driver in Trio?
not sure,
the statement to be super cost effective might means KZ opting for cheaper DD.
despite KZ bravado, the previous supercheap, EDX-lite wasn't that well recieved.

hopefully this one will be better.

May 8, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #100,867 of 102,848
From the other end of the price range, I think the Kiwi Ears Quintet measures very close to the Softears Volume (I only know because I've been eyeing both sets myself).

Doesn't this come under your radar?
graph.png

May 8, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #100,870 of 102,848
I ask this question periodically. What new iems are considered improvements in musicality, tambor, and details? Best all-arounders? Best with complex, layered music? Is there an iem(s) that blends the fullness of sound with details versus being too thin in one area or another? I am more focused on one iem now than in the past. I don't mind saving within the 1000 dollar range for what I would determine as my go-to iem.

May 8, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #100,871 of 102,848
IMG_7607.jpeg
Really need these Symbio tips in some different colors lol… neon green please!!

This is Halloween 🎃

May 8, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #100,872 of 102,848
Haha then these KBEAR early buyers might be in for a disappointing and wallet-burning time.
KBear was definitely on the rise, and the future looked bright for them (TRI was also making waves), especially when they came out with that 100% Beryllium diaphragm IEM that was a 1/10th of the cost of the Dunu, and then POOF!! Flop after flop and don't get me started on the Star River. When I first got it, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but goodness, the bass never appeared.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #100,873 of 102,848
KBear was definitely on the rise, and the future looked bright for them (TRI was also making waves), especially when they came out with that 100% Beryllium diaphragm IEM that was a 1/10th of the cost of the Dunu, and then POOF!! Flop after flop and don't get me started on the Star River. When I first got it, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but goodness, the bass never appeared.
The Starriver was indeed a treble heads wet dream!

May 8, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #100,874 of 102,848
Curious to know what an upgrade to the Softears Volume would be? I love the tuning and overall FR but maybe just a tad more bass would be welcome.
That ear gain compensation makes it difficult to recommend anything comparable, unless you're ready to go big:
graph.png

Zeos said many months ago in a video that he has a collaboration coming up based on the Volume with Softears. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back