The discovery thread!
May 7, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #100,771 of 103,531
So what makes it so great? What justifies the ridiculous price tag for it? How is it 20x better than the EA1000? How is the sound so holographic, 3D, and stereo wide and deep that it makes the Trio sound like a dollar store item and bring nirvana to your ears?
Here is the thing: you can get 80 or even 90% at much lower costs, and no one asks you (I’m not saying “You” in an aggressive finger pointing way, but just you like a generic term, like “you) to spend this much. If anyone says you need to spend this much to get a good sound, either they are very picky or more likely they are elitists who are full of 💩.

What’s special about this IEM and its peer? It’s the getting last 10%. People tend to forget that to provide the last 10%, and IEM needs to pass the first 90% first, thus if you have been listening and hunting IEMs for a long time, whenever that 10% appears, it’s something noteworthy and even worthy to chase.

Back to the Anni:
  • “Disappearing” tonal balance but not flat or bland. Same comment that I had for Crimson. To me (and just to me), the EA1000 has the upper mid sticking out. The Trio seesaws between too thick and too thin. The Project ACE is kinda strange at 6k. The list goes on and on. Heck, even the U12t is kinda weird at 12kHz.
  • Hyped up dynamic, which is likely an artefact of tuning.
  • Details, especially in the reverb tail of the notes. But the foreground details like the texture in the voices also comes through clearly. Better than EA1000 and likes? Of course. Better than U12t? Don’t know, need to test.
  • Spatial information, particularly the background elements. It’s like the virtual “room” in your head expands and have a 3D shape. The EA1000 does not do this, but it has its own trick that makes it sounds “out of the head” sometimes.

May 7, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #100,772 of 103,531
A2B3E94A-35B6-4A33-A19D-093DA54E7883.jpeg

Elysian Annihilator 2023.

If there is a perfect IEM, at least for me, this is it. At first, I was like “what’s so special about this?” and then I couldn’t stop trying just one more track.

Thank you @Yifang for letting me borrow his unit and grumpy pepe @grumpy213 for sending the unit.

Oh, and Pilgrim is no “baby Anni”, bois 😂 They go with different tuning. I think Pilgrim is more like DIVA 2023 in mid or lower bass option. If you have ever listened to Gaea, imagine a less aggressive upper midrange, more subbass, same level of hyped up dynamic, and better treble detail and extension. That’s Anni. Not shouty, not sibilant even with Ed Sheeran’s Shivers.
Enjoy running through your library to see how Anni does things differently! It made me track down percussion heavy tracks just to listen to that treble!

May 7, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #100,773 of 103,531
TRN ST7.

5 BA + 2 DD.

$25.00

Initial thoughts :

Played through unamped Sony A17 (haven't listened to it thru any other Sony DAP, but that's coming up)
unamped DX170
unamped Sansa Fuze
unamped Cowon J

Nothing stock used (pure copper cable from Z300 + OG Spiral dots)

V shaped. Not exactly mild, but not severe, like those old KZ or the Shangs or RE800. Soundstage is WIDE and has nice depth. Not tall though. Trio has more height and width. Where these are SPECIAL for the price is in the transparency, spatial information as o0genesis mentioned, and black background. The background is very silent, has really good spatiality, and transparency between instruments. I'd say it's on par with the Trio and the Aures in that aspect, which is why I love those two so much. Treble extension and air is about on par with Trio, so I wouldn't say it's it's strong suit. I'd say it's good (3/5), but the resolution from those BA's is exceptional for the price. It exceeds the Trio, Z300, Lings, NX7's, and VS3 in resolution across the board. Instrument separation and imaging is above average for the price as well and superior to the EW200, and maybe equal in resolution to the EW200, but lacking the treble grain inherent in the Simgot budget. Treble is smooth and controlled, despite the BA's in the nozzle. Treble doesn't extend out like the Simgots though, and is shorter in extension, with blunted shimmer, but making up for that with nice timbre and resolution. This doesn't sound to me like BA timbre, which is something I was expecting.

With the copper cable and the spiral dot tips, the mids are a touch recessed, but male and female voices have thickness and are resolving. There's a hint of mid bass warmth, but not really any bleed, and if there is, it allows for some warmth and heft, which is lacking in the Trio, EW200, and NX7.

The bass is still too early to really judge, as I believe in burning in DD's, but early on, they are ok. There's punch and speed. I'm hearing a lack of true resolution down low, but there's some nice sub bass slam. Gives me a feeling similar to the Trio bass, but not with that incredible resolving power that the Simgot bass has on the EW200, EA500LM and the EA1000, but with burn in, I expect there to be some improvements in that area, so I'll reserve judgement for later. So far though? OOTB? For $25.00, TRN has delivered a hybrid that I already enjoy equally to the Shangs, the NX7, the N5005, with some special sauce that exceeds those much more expensive counterparts.

So far, these things sounds really great on warm DAPS (Sony/DX170), but sound more balanced and clear on the brighter DAPS (Cowon J/Sansa).

Comfort? EXCELLENT. Light acrylic shells with really long nozzles makes for a snug firm fit. Bless TRN for providing really long nozzles, unlike the OD200 or those infernal Kiwi Ears.

Attachments

• ST7 box.jpg
    ST7 box.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TRN ST7 debox.jpg
    TRN ST7 debox.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 0
  • TRN ST7.jpg
    TRN ST7.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #100,774 of 103,531
Here is the thing: you can get 80 or even 90% at much lower costs, and no one asks you (I’m not saying “You” in an aggressive finger pointing way, but just you like a generic term, like “you) to spend this much. If anyone says you need to spend this much to get a good sound, either they are very picky or more likely they are elitists who are full of 💩.

What’s special about this IEM and its peer? It’s the getting last 10%. People tend to forget that to provide the last 10%, and IEM needs to pass the first 90% first, thus if you have been listening and hunting IEMs for a long time, whenever that 10% appears, it’s something noteworthy and even worthy to chase.

Back to the Anni:
  • “Disappearing” tonal balance but not flat or bland. Same comment that I had for Crimson. To me (and just to me), the EA1000 has the upper mid sticking out. The Trio seesaws between too thick and too thin. The Project ACE is kinda strange at 6k. The list goes on and on. Heck, even the U12t is kinda weird at 12kHz.
  • Hyped up dynamic, which is likely an artefact of tuning.
  • Details, especially in the reverb tail of the notes. But the foreground details like the texture in the voices also comes through clearly. Better than EA1000 and likes? Of course. Better than U12t? Don’t know, need to test.
  • Spatial information, particularly the background elements. It’s like the virtual “room” in your head expands and have a 3D shape. The EA1000 does not do this, but it has its own trick that makes it sounds “out of the head” sometimes.
Beautifully concise and understandable response, my friend. Love it. Answered all my questions.

May 7, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #100,775 of 103,531
These are the only other TRN I've ever purchased. The M10. If any of you ever got the chance to try these, the highs are very similar. I was expecting shimmery or bright treble when I got these, but they sound very analogue and bassy, but obviously the ST7 smash these when it comes to detail retrieval, spacial cues, stage etc. Just pulled these out and gave them a listen. Not bad for a $10.00 hybrid from long ago. I have the silver one.

https://trn-audio.com/trn-m10.html

May 7, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #100,776 of 103,531
bring nirvana to your ears
As far as I know Any IEM can bring Nirvana to your years. They can also bring Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers...Even Kate Perry if one wants. :)

May 7, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #100,777 of 103,531
Today I learned that there is only one person behind the whole Stardew Valley game, taking care of everything from coding to artworks to music production.

I love the way he constructs the stereo images in his soundtracks. Excellent background sound for work or study.

May 7, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #100,778 of 103,531
As far as I know Any IEM can bring Nirvana to your years. They can also bring Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers...Even Kate Perry if one wants. :)
LOL Well played, and interestingly enough, all those groups were listened to while testing the ST7! Minus Katy Perry, but she is on my pop playlist, so I could check her off too lol

May 7, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #100,780 of 103,531
LOL Well played, and interestingly enough, all those groups were listened to while testing the ST7! Minus Katy Perry, but she is on my pop playlist, so I could check her off too lol
Lol, I unashamedly enjoy One of the Boys, as well as Lana’s Paradise and sometimes Ellie’s Lights album.
A lot of pop is great! Check out Caroline Polachek, Charli XCX, Charlotte Day Wilson, Lizzy McAlpine, Oklou, Empress Of, Imogen Heap, just to name a few…

New Dua Lipa made my day actively worse though stay away from that :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #100,782 of 103,531
May 7, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #100,783 of 103,531
TRN charging 30 bucks for a seven driver set is kinda wild.

Makes you wonder how much the BAs cost, probably cents assuming there are 5 BAs on each side

May 7, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #100,784 of 103,531
@ToneDeafMonk , SLT6 or (modded) Himalaya?
Two different tunings how do you answer that question? If I had to pick because i could only afford one budget wise?. FOR MY PREFERENCES, Himalaya hands down.

May 7, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #100,785 of 103,531
Two different tunings how do you answer that question? If I had to pick because i could only afford one budget wise?. FOR MY PREFERENCES, Himalaya hands down.
Thank you. I realize this was a dumb question.
I do own the Penon Turbo and EPZ 530 as all BA IEMs and quite like them.
However, I think you convinced me of the Himilaya with the comment in your video that you prefer it over the Twilight(!)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back