The discovery thread!
May 4, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #100,486 of 102,052
TANGZU x HBB XuanNv Universal IEM
DSC_0334.jpege.jpeg

7Hz Aurora Universal IEM
DSC_0417.jpega.jpeg
First impressions in the AM.
That red one is so stylish-looking it’s basically a new form of jewelry lol.

May 4, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #100,488 of 102,052
Kinda gross to think that these fine works of art are just gonna be shoved in people’s ears.
Haha well the faceplate is the star of the show. The nozzle is merely the mounting bracket!

May 4, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #100,489 of 102,052
May 4, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #100,490 of 102,052
Yup. I have discovered my sweet spot for now, it’s in the “mid-fi” range and will focus on obtaining the few pieces I am left wanting (balanced cable for my LCD-2C and another TBD IEM). I’ve found my preferred signature, comfort, beliefs, etc to build from here.
Same. I'm pretty set with my headphone sonic signature sweet spot with the Aeolus and HD 6XX. The MagicOne fits that profile for IEMs, too.

Now the fun and challenge are finding a lower-buck IEM that tickles either end of my preferred signature without going over the boundary. I want something that is a bit different than the MagicOne without straying too far from my preferences.

And then the next areas of exploration are a better variety of IEM tips, pad rolling for my Aeolus and exploring forums and classifieds for a good, introductory OTL amp for my Aeolus and HD 6XX.

The fun never stops!

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #100,491 of 102,052
The new R3ii is mu ch more musical. You need a full time DAP for your streaming.
Just a small correction to my comment. My R3 pro Saber 2022 has streaming. I wanted to say that I only use it for local files when I'm on the go. But, my interest now is in a DAP with more complete streaming and that is a little smaller than my DX300 for easier portability. And that it has a neutral sound for easier synergy with most of my IEMs.

May 4, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #100,492 of 102,052
I finally ordered the TRN ST7. Fugumikan’s recent review convinced me. He gave it a 5-star rating and highly recommended it. He also confirmed pretty much everything I read about it in other Japanese people’s posts on X. According to him, it is a very well-balanced neutral IEM with a touch of warmth and a very gentle type of presentation. The bass is elastic and very well presented—thanks to the 10mm DLC driver—a more quality-over-quantity approach. As for the high frequencies, there isn’t much sharpness in the top region compared to other TRN products (like the Conch, for example). They aimed to achieve a more sober, cohesive, and spike-free top end. Overall, it tends to offer a very natural and easy-to-listen experience.

Additionally, he surprised me by comparing its sound to more high-end products like the Awful Performer 5. After this comparison, I couldn’t contain my curiosity. I was able to buy it on sale for $24 on AliExpress. A 2DD+5BA composition at this price point—recent TRN cost-performance offering is quite impressive.

May 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #100,495 of 102,052
Looks like MD Jaques favoured Rhapsody, when considering the price.
"Rhapsody is the culmination of all previous CCA models. That's what I was thinking, Hydro has easily surpassed that. I think the performance is good, but I think the problem is the price."
^ This is exactly the way I was thinking - given too Akros' glowing comparison review video: so pulling the trigger on Wednesday @ $35 was a no brainer imho.

May 4, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #100,496 of 102,052
Understandable. I mean, as he said, the Rhapsody costs 1/3 of the Hydro. Also, they are very similar tuning-wise, with the only real difference being that the Rhapsody has more bass in its default switch configuration. If we are looking for value, the Rhapsody may indeed be the best option between the two.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #100,497 of 102,052
I mean, as he said the Rhapsody costs 1/3 of the Hydro. Also, they are very similar tuning wise, the only real difference being the Rhapsody has more bass in its default switch configuration. If we are looking for "value", the Rhapsody may be indeed the best option between the two.
D'accord exactamundo !!

May 4, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #100,499 of 102,052
Ok, Hydro has landed. It's pretty dumb. Like I really dig it. I'll be reviewing it in a few days. But it might be one of the best value iems I've ever heard. If you are on the fence, you have my blessing. I'll be reviewing it in about a week or so. Pilgrim video should be up in an hour or so.

May 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #100,500 of 102,052
Same. I'm pretty set with my headphone sonic signature sweet spot with the Aeolus and HD 6XX. The MagicOne fits that profile for IEMs, too.

Now the fun and challenge are finding a lower-buck IEM that tickles either end of my preferred signature without going over the boundary. I want something that is a bit different than the MagicOne without straying too far from my preferences.

And then the next areas of exploration are a better variety of IEM tips, pad rolling for my Aeolus and exploring forums and classifieds for a good, introductory OTL amp for my Aeolus and HD 6XX.

The fun never stops!
I'm definitely re-interested in the MagicOne - they'll be first on my 11/11 sales shortlist for sure !!
Btw regarding: "the fun never stops".....whilst in my garden sunbathing today & listening to new LP's via the Delci/Hiby R6 Pro combo - finally worked out why the DAP is constantly running warm, it appears that it's native playback frequency is 192KHz. I'd assumed that all FLAC & Hi-Res files played accordingly. Totally sorted it out by switching on the Fixed SampleRate plug-in & choosing values between 48-96 KHz - it runs way cooler now (in sunshine) & obvs conserves the lifespan of components & battery....bonus !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back