The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #99,136 of 100,431
Speaking of the R4 DAP. It looks like Hiby finally has their R4 page up now, but not yet ready for prime-time.
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r4

I need a new DAP as my Tempotec Variations V6 is not doing so hot. It's very slow, apps like to crash and a microsd card failed in it, so great timing. While the R4 is not as powerful as the V6, i hope it at least sounds as good but this remains to be seen.
I am digging the slightly warm and analogue ish soundscape of Hiby M300. To my ears even more after a recent update though that could well be brain-burn coincidence. I don't reach out as much for the FC6 these days.

I just add the bass punch with Joebloggs plugin. Very happy customer for now. Hope they don't alter the sound in any future updates.

R4 should definitely more powerful . Hope it sounds as good, if not better.

On the CCA Trio-M300 listening to this wonderful Psychedelic skilful album, courtesy Bret Halford's post.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #99,137 of 100,431
I am digging the slightly warm and analogue ish soundscape of Hiby M300. To my ears even more after a recent update though that could well be brain-burn coincidence. I don't reach out as much for the FC6 these days.

I just add the bass punch with Joebloggs plugin. Very happy customer for now. Hope they don't alter the sound in any future updates.

R4 should definitely more powerful . Hope it sounds as good, if not better.

On the CCA Trio-M300 listening to this wonderful Psychedelic skilful album, courtesy Bret Halford's post.

Try this

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #99,138 of 100,431
You have become the official Hiby reviewer boss! And strangely, Yvain and others, are they getting to other reviewers and spreading the word or not. Haven't seen much either here or on YouTube. What's the price of this particular iem?

PS: hope they give you the R4 dap too. Street cred escalation with your students when you swing that thingy
Yvain is kinda strange. It’s not loved by my circle at all. I like it because it’s unabashedly mid centric, which I don’t have on my collection, and its isolation is top notch.

Zeta is loved by anyone who has a chance to try, AFAIK. But it’s $1200 so not many would blind buy it.

I do have an R4 sample coming within a few weeks. Again, the sample would continue its tour across Australia.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #99,140 of 100,431
I’ve seen the maestro mini back in stock at musictek and one other website I can’t think of off the top of my head. Maestro Mini is a great IEM that doesn’t get enough praise.

I confirmed with Musictek as well (and they updated their website) that it's the version refresh that they have in stock for the Maestro Mini with the mesh guard and vents.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #99,141 of 100,431
Thanks. Not bad, but I need another peak after 10k personally, that’s a bit blunted if it’s halfway accurate.
Yeah you would love the DITA Project M
Thanks. Not bad, but I need another peak after 10k personally, that’s a bit blunted if it’s halfway accurate.
You would love the DITA Project M in that case alot! Still not overpowering, but it's a unique IEM and I am somehow drawn into its orbit.
graph-13.png

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #99,142 of 100,431
Speaking of the R4 DAP. It looks like Hiby finally has their R4 page up now, but not yet ready for prime-time.
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r4

I need a new DAP as my Tempotec Variations V6 is not doing so hot. It's very slow, apps like to crash and a microsd card failed in it, so great timing. While the R4 is not as powerful as the V6, i hope it at least sounds as good but this remains to be seen.
Testing now it's definitely worthy $250

I spent the day comparing with the Astell&Kern Kann Max and My Shanling M8

So far I surmise it plays back fairly neutral in the overall balanced sound signature with very little colerization in the frequency response.

Mids play maybe a tad recessed and bass is more thick vs fast & snappy

Great DAP for Mid forward IEM's like the DTE900 helps balance them out.

Probably work for 99% of KZ tunings .

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #99,143 of 100,431
Yeah you would love the DITA Project M

You would love the DITA Project M in that case alot! Still not overpowering, but it's a unique IEM and I am somehow drawn into its orbit. graph-13.png
I like where your head is at. That is a very capable looking response, just lacking a bit in the upper extension still to really nail that treble resolution.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #99,144 of 100,431
I like where your head is at. That is a very capable looking response, just lacking a bit in the upper extension still to really nail that treble resolution.
TReble is handled by a BA, so don't know if you're comfy with BA timbre/reso or not? Also, most folks say it's got spice up top. I've come close to buying it at least 4 times, but the knock on the bass being a bit light scares me. Now I'm not a basshead and I'm not a fan of intrusive bass, but if it's similar to the bass of the EW200, then that just not enough bass for me.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #99,145 of 100,431
TReble is handled by a BA, so don't know if you're comfy with BA timbre/reso or not? Also, most folks say it's got spice up top. I've come close to buying it at least 4 times, but the knock on the bass being a bit light scares me. Now I'm not a basshead and I'm not a fan of intrusive bass, but if it's similar to the bass of the EW200, then that just not enough bass for me.
Ah right, thanks for that. Do you prefer more of a mid bassy sound? I kinda do, as long as I’m still getting that lower octave. I find that a rising sub bass is drowning to the lower mids and less musical.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #99,146 of 100,431
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #99,147 of 100,431
Testing now it's definitely worthy $250

I spent the day comparing with the Astell&Kern Kann Max and My Shanling M8

So far I surmise it plays back fairly neutral in the overall balanced sound signature with very little colerization in the frequency response.

Mids play maybe a tad recessed and bass is more thick vs fast & snappy

Great DAP for Mid forward IEM's like the DTE900 helps balance them out.

Probably work for 99% of KZ tunings .
I'm happy you got your hands on one and shared this nugget of info!

Android based DAPs with balanced options have always been pretty spendy, so naturally a decent Android DAP with 4.4mm at $250 has me pretty stoked. I would have liked to have seen 1 more gig of ram on this thing but as long as it doesn't get bogged down over time, it should be ok.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #99,148 of 100,431
I'm happy you got your hands on one and shared this nugget of info!

Android based DAPs with balanced options have always been pretty spendy, so naturally a decent Android DAP with 4.4mm at $250 has me pretty stoked. I would have liked to have seen 1 more gig of ram on this thing but as long as it doesn't get bogged down over time, it should be ok.
Yeah, I wonder where they cut corner to make this DAP happen. Android, balanced, with some engineering efforts put in (4 DACs in two separate sound profiles, class A amp) for $250. It sounds too good to be true. I’m very eager to try this DAP.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #99,149 of 100,431
Hi! Does anyone have and have compared ZiiGaat Doscinco and Penon Neo 5 by chance? I know some differences in hardware and have read some separate reviews. I would like to know if they are both all-terrain. Right now on AE they have almost the same discounted price. Thanks in advance!
I have both. Both are bass heavy. Neo 5 has a thick sound, due to heavily skewed towards sub bass, making music sound slow. Overall sound gives you a feeling of raw power. It suits most of electronic dance music, but best in bass music. Doscinco have more delicate sound. To some extent, it is more balance and suits for rock, metal, and most of electronic dance music.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #99,150 of 100,431
Did anyone get the Audio Volare pricing right? I thought this was around $1,600 judging by the driver config and unboxing.

I've seen a bit of hype going around, is this the new best thing or a soup of the week IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back