The discovery thread!
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #98,881 of 100,571
Hey, boss.
Trio has landed...A3000, too. :)

What to say, Trio has nothing to be ashamed of. Very good!
If it had a bit more sparkle and excitement, I would put them in a drawer with waaaay higher-priced IEMs.

As a fan of Final Audio, I wouldn't be able to choose instantly between the two.
Luckily, I don't have to choose, and I am happily keeping both :)

Hmm, I have always liked CCA CRA, so it is nothing new; I am a fan of CCA, too. :)

BTW...Trio has really nice shells, they feel nice in hands.

Cheers!
Are you using the stock tips for the Trio? For me I’ve been using the tips below with 1010 switch setting to give me a bit better sparkle.

IMG_0026.jpeg

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #98,882 of 100,571
Are you using the stock tips for the Trio? For me I’ve been using the tips below with 1010 switch setting to give me a bit better sparkle.
Yes, for now. I just got them, so I haven't spent much time listening. I left all four up. I will also try 1010.

I have never had issues with CCA tips. Actually, I like them; they are always a good fit and have a good seal.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #98,883 of 100,571
Hey, boss.
Trio has landed...A3000, too. :)

What to say, Trio has nothing to be ashamed of. Very good!
If it had a bit more sparkle and excitement, I would put them in a drawer with waaaay higher-priced IEMs.

As a fan of Final Audio, I wouldn't be able to choose instantly between the two.
Luckily, I don't have to choose, and I am happily keeping both :)

Hmm, I have always liked CCA CRA, so it is nothing new; I am a fan of CCA, too. :)

BTW...Trio has really nice shells, they feel nice in hands.

Cheers!

Oh yes, a solid set that trio. I have all the switches up these days btw for the sparkles. That's my constant setting now. but yeah if you are used to more excitement... This is more impressive for its spacing and being balanced. Shall pick up the new kz (I forget its name) but that will hit my country in a while, only. No hurry.

Enjoy your A3000; looks like you going through the stable of Final Audio!

Which is the set you reach out most for your bassy electronic tracks? Anything you find yourself returning to often?

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #98,884 of 100,571
8C98AA66-1084-496C-99B4-E3CAA5EE12A0.jpeg
32CEB424-0BDA-4C29-9B27-DFFEF91BF924.jpeg
CE2AD03B-EFA3-4B15-A24E-2EDA0D131AF7.jpeg
A5FA3CC9-0EE6-4FA7-BFEB-A14074E20953.jpeg
EA2AE28D-3B29-48E1-A015-EDD1B5885BF0.jpeg

HiBy x FAudio Project ACE has landed 🎉🎉🎉

Disclaimer: this is not my toy but a tour unit by Hiby. It will continue the journey across Australia as usual.

I have been quite curious about this IEM due to the collaboration. FAudio is interesting because is one of those curious boutiques that I look at on MucicTeck store but have never pulled the trigger because little is known about them and their IEMs. HiBy’s part is interesting because Project ACE is yet another IEM tuned by Steve Lin, the tuner behind Zeta and Yvain, both of which I quite enjoy.

Project ACE is a single DD IEM. I can’t quite recall the price, but I was told that it will land in the “mid-fi” range.

Some early impressions:
  • Large soundstage: the first thing I notice was the stage. It’s like every instrument in a mix are pushed further away from each other in all directions, not just left-right.
  • Pretty good technical performance across aspects: separation, note definition, instrument placement (imaging), and midrange detail. How good? Hard to say without more detailed AB tests, but I have not felt lacking.
  • Very nice bass. Similarly to Yvain and Zeta, the Project ACE is groovy. It is easy to feel the beat and rhythm. Bass drums have snappy, strong note attacks, with good physicality. The bass feel “slammy”, like more spread out across the stage rather than a tight “jab” like the Symphonium Crimson.
  • I hear a relaxed upper midrange paired with emphasis in mid-treble. Somewhat reminds me of Final Audio A series, though not as shrill and harsh. It’s not really a relaxed listening even though the upper mid is not as forward as Harman IEM.
  • Accessories are generous and different, as usual for HiBy IEM.
I’ll leave this IEM playing music continuously for a few days when I work on other reviews.

Edit: the nozzles are larger than average IEM. Usual tips would be stretched, I need something like Spinfit CP145. I think it’s as large as Blessing 2 nozzle but luckily shorter (still average length). Stock tips work.
Had my eye on this set once it was introduced but reading your description it might be too energetic in the mid treble area. Still love the aestetics though.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #98,885 of 100,571

IMG_0026.jpeg
1010 is my setting too.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #98,886 of 100,571
Which is the set you reach out most for your bassy electronic tracks? Anything you find yourself returning to often?
Honestly, it's a trap I don't want to fall into.

And...I don't do that. I really like all the IEMs that I have, and headphones too.
I just grab one and listen—sometimes only a song or two, sometimes for a day or two or more—and then I take another one.

The benefit is that after a while, you kind of forget how they sound, and you are always surprised by how good they are.
It's always...damn, double damn, this is that good... :)

I consider IER Z1R the best IEM that I have...but I haven't listened to them for probably 10 days :)

So, for me, it's a constant circle...some wait in a drawer more, some less...but there are headphones, too...so.

Cheers, boss!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #98,887 of 100,571
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #98,888 of 100,571
Swapped from the ARRTI R1 to the QKZxHBB Hades for today, and honestly? It's not good for music, but it cuts all the sibilance out of coworkers' mics on Teams calls, so it might be my new favorite set for workdays...
They should put that on the box lol most tempting thing I have heard about that set.

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #98,889 of 100,571
There's actually a couple songs I've heard where the tuning works. It's anything with very sparse soundscapes, I was just listening to the new Maggie Rodgers album and there's a song "On & On & On" that has vocals and a guitar with a thumping kickdrum beat in the background. The kick drum feels like it's coming from a subwoofer in the corner of the room and satisfies my inner basshead while the lack of mids in the song leaves room for the vocals and guitar without the mushiness the set shows on almost every other song.

Basically, anything with big, booming, pillowy bass notes is going to slap but anything that requires a sharp response is just not going to get that with the Hades.
Web_IMG_4604.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #98,890 of 100,571
PXL_20240412_221708957.jpg

Some quick thoughts on upgrading from a Fiio BTR5 old gen > Tripowin x HBB Olina SE to a Colorfly CDA M1P > CKLVX D41 setup:

- The CKLVX sound fantastic and is simply an upgrade on all fronts compared to the Olina SE (which I had EQd anyway to lift sub-bass, lower mids and attenuate upper mids to my liking). CKLVX I'm more than happy to run stock tuning. Especially noticeable improvement in separation and clarity in higher frequencies.

- A/B between dongles (with the CKLVX): without getting too vague and illusory with describing terms, I will admit bass hits way harder with the Colorfly and it really improved on a slightly unpleasant sharpness in higher frequencies that I experienced with the BTR5.

Bottom line: super happy with what I've got, music never sounded this good and I will probably stick to the setup for a while and just enjoy my library 🎵

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #98,892 of 100,571
Not sure this is really a “discovery,” but I realized that the KZ Symphony just has too much bass for some songs… like I don’t need every song to sound like dub step haha. Am getting the AS24 since that seems to have a better review and it has tuning switches… but the Symphony still sounds amazing and I’m very impressed with the planar driver.

In that note, which of the 3 PR models of planar from KZ sound the best? I do like bass just not quite as much as the Symphony lol.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #98,893 of 100,571
PR1 (balanced version) is my favorite PR. I have the AS24 but I don't enjoy it at all.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #98,894 of 100,571
PR1 (balanced version) is my favorite PR. I have the AS24 but I don't enjoy it at all.
Well the AS24 is already on its way lol. Why don’t you like it? With the tuning switches it seems fairly customizable. And I loved the old ZS6 so maybe I like the armature drivers quite a bit.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #98,895 of 100,571
Hope you enjoy it, for me I found it has a dry, brittle mid-centric sound. There are also far too many switches - more gimmicky than useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back