The discovery thread!
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #98,821 of 100,500
I'm absolutely amazed how this short Penon Totem adapter changes a sound! Especially with good IEM such as Myer SLIIVO SLT6. Still almost monitor sounding of SLT6 get much clear, more clarity, with noticeably better resolution, with excellent extension of bass and treble. It's even with stock cable! Instead almost monitoring sound SLT6 got more body, more weight of notes - more emotional sound.
IMG_20240410_211536.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #98,822 of 100,500
I received my NiceHCK F1 Pro a couple of days ago which I purchased from the recent AliExpress Spring Sale. These things fit much better in my ears than the 7Hz Timeless does. I settled on SpinFit CP-100 eartips and a balanced FiiO cable. With a bit of EQ, these elevate to whatever exaggeration you prefer. I love "market disruptor."

Clarity and timbre are superb. It's no exaggeration to say I think this is the best $75 I've dropped in a great, long while.

NiceHCK F1 Pro + PEQ.JPG

Preamp: -6.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 36 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 2.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 47 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 1.40
Filter 3: ON LS Fc 52 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 5.8 dB Q 0.58
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 152 Hz Gain -3.00 dB Q 0.46
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 233 Hz Gain -0.2 dB Q 3.04
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 680 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 0.99
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4766 Hz Gain 5.3 dB Q 1.27
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6359 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 4.30
Filter 10: ON HS Fc 10000 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 0.70

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #98,823 of 100,500
Even though I’m a Basshead, I find the Legato to not be an all arounder. I’ve relegated my set for the gym. Where that driving bass can shine and keep me upbeat.

The only suggestion I can make is inducing cuts (via EQ), to the lower frequencies. Could be as simple as a reduced bass shelf; this could really open up the Legato’s abilities.
I've never been one for EQ.
Luckily my appreciation of the Legato is increasing, so will probably leave untouched.
I received the Trio and Legato recently. The Legato is getting most of the ear time.

The Legato was 3 times the price of the Trio, so not really a fair comparison.
Whilst I appreciate what has been achieved with the Trio for the price, I know I will never love it.
The Trio has more upper mid ear gain than the Legato, which doesn't suit me.
But, more importantly the Trio just doesn't sound natural; instruments don't sound correct to me and I am no musician. The Legato is much better on this front.

Edit: BTW I have two Trio! I thought the bad tracking info on Ali was a ploy to meet shipping promises, turns out it wasn't and it turned up a week after the replacement shipped item!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #98,824 of 100,500
Congrats, 634ears Miroak-II Cocobolo been in my top 3 for soon one year.
Been interested in the flagship model LOAK for a long time, and ordered the new TX-02 last day.
Quite expensive single DD, hope it is worth it 😅

Had alot of messages back and forth with the maker Musashi about what model and wood to go for. Ended up with the new TX-02 and a new wood he had black persimon.

Congrats on the new TX-02!

How does the miroak ii play say melodic doom like https://songwhip.com/bell-witch/longing ? Or 'Ahab' stuff.

And is there any 300-350 usd ish good R2R DAP out there or upcoming that you might have heard of?

Considering am in love with the hiby FC6 dongle's sound , was thinking instead of wasting on that mech new hiby dap, should acquire R2R dap, if it's implemented as well as the FC6.

I have the budget m300 for a regular DAP experience and already love the freedom away from phone - literally and psychologically. I have cough gasp cough even picked a book to read during casual listening time which would usually have gone in silly browsing on phone. Basically sold on DAP experience.

So, any reccos on good R2R DAP at that price point (guess that might prove difficult) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #98,825 of 100,500

How does the miroak ii play say melodic doom like https://songwhip.com/bell-witch/longing ?

And is there any 300-350 usd ish good R2R DAP out there or upcoming that you might have heard of?

Considering am in love with the hiby FC6 dongle's sound , was thinking instead of wasting on that mech new hiby dap, should acquire R2R dap, if it's implemented as well as the FC6.

I have the budget m300 for a regular DAP experience and already love the freedom away from phone - literally and psychologically. I have cough gasp cough even picked a book to read during casual listening time which would usually have gone in silly browsing on phone. Basically sold on DAP experience.

So, any reccos on good R2R DAP at that price point (guess that might prove difficult) would be appreciated.
Only cheap R2R DAP i can think of Hiby RS2, which I own.
RS2 has not got bluetooth or streaming, so limited to internally saved music.
The DAC section is good but the amp is weak, so doesn't get the best out of most of the iems I own.
3.5mm line out is good for use with external amp. No 4.4mm line out.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #98,826 of 100,500
Only cheap R2R DAP i can think of Hiby RS2, which I own.
RS2 has not got bluetooth or streaming, so limited to internally saved music.
The DAC section is good but the amp is weak, so doesn't get the best out of most of the iems I own.
3.5mm line out is good for use with external amp. No 4.4mm line out.
Thanks Right yeah that won't work for me. At least Bluetooth if not streaming so that I can Bluetooth the phone through it for music.

Hope HIBy or maybe Cayin produce a new R2R DAP

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #98,827 of 100,500
Hope HIBy or maybe Cayin produce a new R2R DAP
Cayin R2R and budget friendly are not in the same sentence. In fact R2R and budget friendly are not in the same sentence 😂

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #98,828 of 100,500
Initial impressions of TANGZU XUAN NV

As we are now acquainted with dual dynamic driver sets for the past few years, we are aware of some of its strengths and weaknesses. There are very few exceptional dual dynamic driver IEMS that I really impressed like the reminiscing analogue-ish tuning of the 7HZ Legato and CCA's well-tuned Duo that until now it remains one of my gold standard in terms of a well-balanced sound profile.

This is XUAN NV, TANGZU's latest entry-level product in collaboration with HBB. As I mentioned about the dual dynamic driver technology a while ago, this product also has this type of driver configuration. The dual drivers are encased in a 3D-printed acrylic resin shell with an acoustic tube for each driver.

On power scalability, this set is somehow easy to amplify for a ceramic dynamic driver set but putting it with sources with a better power output will unleash its full potential to sound more dynamic.

As for tonal aspect, XUAN NV has a U-shaped sound signature with a balanced-warmish tonality that surprisingly doesn't align with usual HBB-collab sets on budget to entry-level segment. Bass response on this is quite incisive and precise , probably the cleanest bass response among the HBB-approved IEMs on the entry-level. Midrange is well-textured and has a good warmth for most male vocals and contraltos and mezzo-sopranos on female vocals to have an ample lushness, richness and smooth sound. Definitely, if you want a more crisp, energetic and glistening sound, this set will not give you those characteristics as its treble response is rather too smooth and even that treble heads will yearn more bright and shimmer.

On the technical side, this set performs quite average in my opinion on how it projects its sound/speaker stage, typical two-dimensional stereo imaging but it has a rather good separation and layering for a dual DD set. It is quite more resolving in terms of macro-dynamics and micro-detailing appears to be less sharper on extracting nuances and details.

Check out my full review of this set later on.

20240411_114603.jpg
20240411_114635.jpg
20240411_114653.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #98,830 of 100,500
Initial impressions of TANGZU XUAN NV

As we are now acquainted with dual dynamic driver sets for the past few years, we are aware of some of its strengths and weaknesses. There are very few exceptional dual dynamic driver IEMS that I really impressed like the reminiscing analogue-ish tuning of the 7HZ Legato and CCA's well-tuned Duo that until now it remains one of my gold standard in terms of a well-balanced sound profile.

This is XUAN NV, TANGZU's latest entry-level product in collaboration with HBB. As I mentioned about the dual dynamic driver technology a while ago, this product also has this type of driver configuration. The dual drivers are encased in a 3D-printed acrylic resin shell with an acoustic tube for each driver.

On power scalability, this set is somehow easy to amplify but putting it with sources with a better power output will unleash its full potential to sound more dynamic.

As for tonal aspect, XUAN NV has a U-shaped sound signature with a balanced-warmish tonality that surprisingly doesn't align with usual HBB-collab sets on budget to entry-level segment. Bass response on this is quite incisive and precise , probably the cleanest bass response among the HBB-approved IEMs on the entry-level. Midrange is well-textured and has a good warmth for most male vocals and contraltos and mezzo-sopranos on female vocals to have an ample lushness, richness and smooth sound. Definitely, if you want a more crisp, energetic and glistening sound, this set will not give you those characteristics as its treble response is rather too smooth and even that treble heads will yearn more bright and shimmer.

On the technical side, this set performs quite average in my opinion on how it projects its sound/speaker stage, typical two-dimensional stereo imaging but it has a rather good separation and layering for a dual DD set. It is quite more resolving in terms of macro-dynamics and micro-detailing appears to be less sharper on extracting nuances and details.

Check out my full review of this set later on.

20240411_114603.jpg20240411_114635.jpg20240411_114653.jpg
Thanks for the initial review/impressions!

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #98,833 of 100,500
I'm absolutely amazed how this short Penon Totem adapter changes a sound! Especially with good IEM such as Myer SLIIVO SLT6. Still almost monitor sounding of SLT6 get much clear, more clarity, with noticeably better resolution, with excellent extension of bass and treble. It's even with stock cable! Instead almost monitoring sound SLT6 got more body, more weight of notes - more emotional sound.
IMG_20240410_211536.jpg
The adapter looks nice.

I guess it is a custom version? The one on the Penon site looks very different.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-totem-adapter-cable.html

Which plugs and cable did you choose?

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #98,834 of 100,500

How does the miroak ii play say melodic doom like https://songwhip.com/bell-witch/longing ? Or 'Ahab' stuff.

The R2R DAPs is expensive, a good DAP with it cost alot. But with how HIBY is pumping out DAPs lately, I wouldn't be shocked if a DAP with R2R and Android around $5-600 show up. Or at least I wish it does 😁

About Miroak-II and doom/funeral metal, yes it does it excellent. The music genre deserve full bodied bass and good midrange. I still prefer Bonneville for this music, but that's completely different price point.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #98,835 of 100,500
The R2R DAPs is expensive, a good DAP with it cost alot. But with how HIBY is pumping out DAPs lately, I wouldn't be shocked if a DAP with R2R around $5-600 show up. Or at least I wish it does 😁

About Miroak-II and doom/funeral metal, yes it does it excellent. The music genre deserve full bodied bass and good midrange. I still prefer Bonneville for this music, but that's completely different price point.
Thanks! Good to know about Miroak-II, should hopefully arrive within 10 days. Hopefully no customs drama.

Right, FC6 it is when I get the R2R itch, until Hiby drops some breakthrough gem!

@kesobie how is the sound signature and your overall impression about Hiby R4 dap?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back