The discovery thread!
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #98,777 of 100,347
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A LEGIT MOONDROP?

1) WAIFU
2) PAINT PEELING OFF
3) FACEPLATE DROPPING OFF

Alas, No. 3's faceplate dropping off curse has hit my Moondrop Variations today.

Moon Drop.jpg

Granted, this particular Variations has been with me for 2+ years (self-purchased), and has been used for multiple reviews as a benchmark gatekeeper "MEASUREBATOR" approved gold-standard comparison tool.

It has run the good race and fought the good fight. BTW I didn't bring it for Can Jam today, but was just taking it out of the case this evening when the faceplate curse happened. . .

I’m getting closer, to cancelling my pre-order, of the Dusk.
1. Logistically, the DSP cable holds zero attraction to me. There’s no scenario where I would have my IEM physically tethered to my phone, since adopting the Qudelix 5K & then the FiiO BTR7. As the Bluetooth solutions are much more pocketable than my phone’s 6.7” screen.

2. My phone’s non-replaceable battery is already showing signs of memory effect.

3. I’ve yet to come across a Tri-brid, that wouldn’t benefit from using a balanced cable.

Credit to "Scientific Audiophile" (link to YT), on Youtube for highlighting the channel imbalance, on at least one of the pre-release samples, given to "The Headphone Show"

link to YT video, at 4:45
1712707528253.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #98,778 of 100,347
Credit to "Scientific Audiophile" (link to YT), on Youtube for highlighting the channel imbalance, on at least one of the pre-release samples, given to "The Headphone Show"

link to YT video, at 4:45

Yeah bro, Moondrop QC is actually one of the worst.

So many reports of paint peeling off shells, faceplates dropping off, channel imbalance, nozzles rusting etc.

There were even forum reports of their recent expensive Dark Saber cracking in the shell within 1 week of purchase: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...hought_this_only_happened_to_kz_iemsrip_dark/

BUT NO WORRIES. THE WAIFU INSIDE THE PACKAGING WILL WASH AWAY ALL SORTS OF TUNING FLAWS AND CRAPPY QC. NO WORRIES, WAIFU WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING!

Waifus.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #98,779 of 100,347
Yeah bro, Moondrop QC is actually one of the worst.

So many reports of paint peeling off shells, faceplates dropping off, channel imbalance, nozzles rusting etc.

There were even forum reports of their recent expensive Dark Saber cracking in the shell within 1 week of purchase: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...hought_this_only_happened_to_kz_iemsrip_dark/

BUT NO WORRIES. THE WAIFU INSIDE THE PACKAGING WILL WASH AWAY ALL SORTS OF TUNING FLAWS AND CRAPPY QC. NO WORRIES, WAIFU WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING!

Waifus.jpg
3D Waifu walks in. Shark sleeping on the couch today.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #98,780 of 100,347

Is a spare $35 burning a hole in your pocket? Then you might appreciate my latest review of the Penon OS133 dongle - which you're invited to read here. :smile:

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #98,781 of 100,347
SINGOLO

Probably the thing that amused me the most in the un-boxing was they included a style of ear-tip very close to my favorite wide-bore ear-tips of all time. Yep that last 70 IEM........reviews I've done included that style ear-tips 90% of the time. The tips (for me) supply the biggest soundstage due to being shallow donut shaped, then getting the distance from the nozzle-end to the tip-end also relatively short.

I don't know where to buy the ear-tips, so getting them included always gets me another back-up pair. Though in use here the nozzles are on the slightly short size, to where yes you can use the ear-tips, though I'm not sure if it is optimal yet. Just un-boxed and listened just now, no burn-in or anything. While this is probably the most reactive IEM to ear-tips this year? Wow, you can totally change the signature with ear-tips, where the included are both wide-bore, both black and white, and no other style. Sound is of a nice stage and encompasses a thorough imaging and pace..........really it is surprising just how well the Singolo does both Classical and Rock. Weirdly well-rounded......haha. Nice full-featured tonal response will no issues as far.......it is really even and complete. Not super sparkly treble, of course you already knew that.

Probably the greatest feature is that they didn't push the upper midrange to heck! I know you know what I'm taking about.......they left it relatively smooth, where that comes in as a value.

But all and all it does seem worth the price, though it is one of those IEMs that may grow on me.......I mean it kind a seems like the tuning is basic with no outlandish character traits, which is both slightly boring to someone who has ear-holed as many IEMs as I have. Yet at the same time, this evenness and completeness could come in handy.............especially to a NOOB who simply wants a well rounded performer that fits nice, is relatively low-cost........and basically totally correct, and well-rounded. I was planning on not liking it, as we have seen so many of these collaborations as such...........but I can't help but view the Singolo as kind of a staple in the IEM food chain. It is hardy and nourishing like basic comfort food...........oh, and has that relaxing factor too.

DSC_0076.jpegD.jpeg
DSC_0086.jpeg2e.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-10 at 11.05.08 AM.png
DSC_0017.jpegd.jpeg
DSC_0001.jpegR.jpeg
DSC_0006.jpegF.jpeg
DSC_0009.jpegAWF.jpeg

Here are the style wide-bores on a different IEM...............in action! Almost exactly the same.
9A52A9DB-5802-4F6C-8CF7-6C910D507A03.png

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #98,782 of 100,347

HiBy R4 has landed!​

1712676327577.png

1712676338454.png1712676355352.png1712676348652.png

Based on the settings, these are the specs I got from these

Snapdragon 665
3gb RAM + 32gb Storage (with 2TB external)
4500mAh battery
ES9018C2M x 4

No power output data yet, but it's more than enough to power all my IEMs below 50vol at low gain.

Also, the design is awesome and I love that they tried to do something weird LOL
Nice, I'm sure my son will be jumping all over this unofficial Lando dap, so look forward to your feedback

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #98,783 of 100,347
Just published my review for the iFi GO bar Kensei on Head-fi and my blog. Its the first one to be posted here on Head-fi which is pretty exciting. Check it out if you're curious. Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #98,784 of 100,347
I went to buy some B7000 Epoxy glue online and will attempt to salvage the Moondrop Variations faceplate and convert it back from an "open-backed" design haha.

Ah good point about the Triton. Are you a basshead per chance? Cause Symphonium Titan will probably suit your needs, but not if you want something not so intrusive in the bass and more esolving.
I'm not a basshead but I don't have any basshead IEMs on hand.

Meteor has quite a bit of bass, but I wouldn't call the Meteor a true basshead IEM.

Pretty sure Precog will review the Titan, interested to see what people think of this set.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #98,785 of 100,347
SINGOLO

Probably the thing that amused me the most in the un-boxing was they included a style of ear-tip very close to my favorite wide-bore ear-tips of all time. Yep that last 70 IEM........reviews I've done included that style ear-tips 90% of the time. The tips (for me) supply the biggest soundstage due to being shallow donut shaped, then getting the distance from the nozzle-end to the tip-end also relatively short.

I don't know where to buy the ear-tips, so getting them included always gets me another back-up pair. Though in use here the nozzles are on the slightly short size, to where yes you can use the ear-tips, though I'm not sure if it is optimal yet. Just un-boxed and listened just now, no burn-in or anything. While this is probably the most reactive IEM to ear-tips this year? Wow, you can totally change the signature with ear-tips, where the included are both wide-bore, both black and white, and no other style. Sound is of a nice stage and encompasses a thorough imaging and pace..........really it is surprising just how well the Singolo does both Classical and Rock. Weirdly well-rounded......haha. Nice full-featured tonal response will no issues as far.......it is really even and complete. Not super sparkly treble, of course you already knew that.

Probably the greatest feature is that they didn't push the upper midrange to heck! I know you know what I'm taking about.......they left it relatively smooth, where that comes in as a value.

But all and all it does seem worth the price, though it is one of those IEMs that may grow on me.......I mean it kind a seems like the tuning is basic with no outlandish character traits, which is both slightly boring to someone who has ear-holed as many IEMs as I have. Yet at the same time, this evenness and completeness could come in handy.............especially to a NOOB who simply wants a well rounded performer that fits nice, is relatively low-cost........and basically totally correct, and well-rounded. I was planning on not liking it, as we have seen so many of these collaborations as such...........but I can't help but view the Singolo as kind of a staple in the IEM food chain. It is hardy and nourishing like basic comfort food...........oh, and has that relaxing factor too.

DSC_0076.jpegD.jpegDSC_0086.jpeg2e.jpegScreen Shot 2024-04-10 at 11.05.08 AM.pngDSC_0017.jpegd.jpegDSC_0001.jpegR.jpegDSC_0006.jpegF.jpegDSC_0009.jpegAWF.jpeg
Here are the style wide-bores on a different IEM...............in action! Almost exactly the same.
9A52A9DB-5802-4F6C-8CF7-6C910D507A03.png
"Noobs" might not be able to use these IEMs, if their ears are unlucky enough to not work with the nozzles and the stock tips. Agree with you, these tips are very useful, but not for these particular IEMs.

I admire the sound and the tuning wizardry here, but I don't think I can recommend this IEM to most people, unless they have a big collection of diverse ear tips.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #98,786 of 100,347
SINGOLO

Probably the thing that amused me the most in the un-boxing was they included my favorite wide-bore ear-tips of all time. Yep that last 70 IEM........reviews I've done included those ear-tips 90% of the time. The tips (for me) supply the biggest soundstage due to being shallow donut shaped, then getting the distance from the nozzle-end to the tip-end also relatively short.

I don't know where to buy the ear-tips, so getting them included always gets me another back-up pair. Though in use here the nozzles are on the slightly short size, to where yes you can use the ear-tips, though I'm not sure if it is optimal yet. Just un-boxed and listened just now, no burn-in or anything. While this is probably the most reactive IEM to ear-tips this year? Wow, you can totally change the signature with ear-tips, where the included are both wide-bore, both black and white........no other style than wide-bore. Sound is of a nice stage and encompasses a thorough imaging and pace..........really it is surprising just how well the Singolo does both Classical and Rock. Weirdly well-rounded......haha. Nice full-featured tonal response will no issues as far an it is really even and complete. Not super sparkly treble, of course you already knew that.

You hit the nail on the head with the Singolo. I just can't really find anything bad to say about it. I like it better than the other inexpensive Crin tuned IEMs. I have only used (L) Dunu S&S tips and the IEM fits like a glove, so I can't really relate to complaints of fitment issues out there. I don't feel like I need to change tips on this one, it sounds good as is although I'll probably get to changing them out at some point just to see what happens. I'm still in the process of discovering if there is any good amp or dac synergies to exploit with this set but it just ends up sounding good on whatever I am using but then again the usual suspects that I use are probably way more dac or amp than most will use with this IEM, I'll get to the dongles at some point, :smirk:. Yes this one is worth the price, no regrets.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #98,788 of 100,347
Has anyone compared the Penon OS-133 with the $17 JCALLY JM6 PRO?
They look very similar, both using DAC CX31993 and amp MAX97220.

https://hifigo.com/products/jcally-jm6-pro
And those in India, can probably look at the same dac/amp set up at a much cheaper offering. The premium DDHifi collab with an online shop here ...

https://www.headphonezone.in/products/headphone-zone-x-ddhifi-hi-res-dac?_pos=4&_fid=963398ac7&_ss=c

And that's what annoys me about the 50$ usb-c to usb-c from DDhifi. Here at less than half its price, they are offering a nice dac dongle, but so much more for just the usb cable. Wimps!

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #98,789 of 100,347
"Noobs" might not be able to use these IEMs, if their ears are unlucky enough to not work with the nozzles and the stock tips. Agree with you, these tips are very useful, but not for these particular IEMs.

I admire the sound and the tuning wizardry here, but I don't think I can recommend this IEM to most people, unless they have a big collection of diverse ear tips.

Yes, that’s is why I wrote that the way I did. But the most important thing I think is that NOOBs will like the tuning, and maybe have other ear-tips to try, and will move forward to encounter new styles of Singolo sound responses in relation to ear-tips?

You hit the nail on the head with the Singolo. I just can't really find anything bad to say about it. I like it better than the other inexpensive Crin tuned IEMs. I have only used (L) Dunu S&S tips and the IEM fits like a glove, so I can't really relate to complaints of fitment issues out there. I don't feel like I need to change tips on this one, it sounds good as is although I'll probably get to changing them out at some point just to see what happens. I'm still in the process of discovering if there is any good amp or dac synergies to exploit with this set but it just ends up sounding good on whatever I am using but then again the usual suspects that I use are probably way more dac or amp than most will use with this IEM, I'll get to the dongles at some point, :smirk:. Yes this one is worth the price, no regrets.
Yes, I need to try the Singolo with other sources too.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #98,790 of 100,347
Yes, that’s is why I wrote that the way I did. But the most important thing I think is that NOOBs will like the tuning, and maybe have other ear-tips to try, and will move forward to encounter new styles of Singolo sound responses in relation to ear-tips?

Yes, I need to try the Singolo with other sources too.
These IEMs with Divinus Velvet, BTR5, stock cable, EQ to taste is as fun as it gets. Kinda like "embracing the imperfection" (AAC bluetooth, EQ). I also use these with my ROG Ally for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back