The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #98,716 of 100,767
Howdy folks,

My review of Symphonium Crimson is online on head-fi and my blog.

So, what’s is the conclusion about Crimson? As usual, “it depends.”

If you want your music to be smooth and mellow with big, slow, enveloping bass, or if you primarily to music that is already energetic and edgy, perhaps Crimson would be too much for you.

However, if your idealisation of the “perfect” sound is the one with tack sharp instrument placement, snappy transient response, plenty of details, and a balanced U-shaped sound signature, if you listen to a lot of large orchestral music and soundtracks, then the answer is simple. Crimson is perhaps the closest to that “perfect” sound as it gets, without jumping into the abyss also known as “Top of the Line.”

What I like about this IEM:

• Laser-sharp instrument separation and layering
  • Outstanding detail retrieval
  • Immersive and 3D soundstage and imaging
  • Snappy and exciting transient response
  • Subbass rumble and texture
  • Tonality is spot on
What could be improved:

• Upper treble can become harsh with a shallow fit
  • Stock tips might not provide the necessary deep fit to avoid treble hashness
  • Can be demanding in terms of the DAC/amp to pair with it
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 5/5 - Outstanding

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this IEM!

Crimson_summary.jpg

Updated: April 8, 2024
Nice review! After reading your impressions and reviews on other sets, I had a pretty big hunch that the Crimson would be right up your alley.

I've liked the Crimson ever since the day I got them, but I gained an even bigger appreciation for them after I listened to the 2Cellos Gladiator song you recommended testing with. The Crimson came out way on top for soundstage and imaging compared to the rest of my IEMs.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #98,717 of 100,767
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #98,718 of 100,767
On the subject of themes, has planar dropped off quite a bit? I’m not seeing reports of many new choices, or maybe I’ve missed them. It’s interesting also that aside from Supermoon from CFA, no other brands really ventured into a higher price point offering. Maybe just more integration into hybrids etc as a few have done.

There are quite a few sub $100 USD planar IEM releases in recent months. Most of them are around 3.5/5 in sounding average and not doing anything majorly wrong, but not being some market disruptor either.

Word on the street from folks who do tear-downs of IEMs is that most of the current planar IEM releases use the same planar driver, so it is just a matter of different shells, damping, nozzles etc which slightly modifies the sound signature. So they are kinda sidegradish at this point in time yes.

A few new entrants into the 'budget' bracket but not so many into the higher price points. Personally, I would prefer to see more planar tweeters implemented in hybrids. Leave the midrange to something less incisive and with a more lax decay. I think there's only so much they can offset the 'natural' behaviour of planars with a warm/organic tuning but the snappy undercurrent remains. I've read the Hidizs MP145 is quite 'organic' but have yet to hear it myself and wonder if it's truly organic from a timbral perspective.

Hmm, the MP145 has one of the better timbre for a planar IEM (the best one in timbre to my ears is still the Letshuoer S15, but that is pricey and is not that strong technically).

But even so, these 2 won't beat a well-tuned single DD in the timbral accuracy department. But pros and cons, most of these planar IEMs do beat the single DDs in technical prowess.

Howdy folks,

My review of Symphonium Crimson is online on head-fi and my blog.

So, what’s is the conclusion about Crimson? As usual, “it depends.”

If you want your music to be smooth and mellow with big, slow, enveloping bass, or if you primarily to music that is already energetic and edgy, perhaps Crimson would be too much for you.

However, if your idealisation of the “perfect” sound is the one with tack sharp instrument placement, snappy transient response, plenty of details, and a balanced U-shaped sound signature, if you listen to a lot of large orchestral music and soundtracks, then the answer is simple. Crimson is perhaps the closest to that “perfect” sound as it gets, without jumping into the abyss also known as “Top of the Line.”

What I like about this IEM:

• Laser-sharp instrument separation and layering
  • Outstanding detail retrieval
  • Immersive and 3D soundstage and imaging
  • Snappy and exciting transient response
  • Subbass rumble and texture
  • Tonality is spot on
What could be improved:

• Upper treble can become harsh with a shallow fit
  • Stock tips might not provide the necessary deep fit to avoid treble hashness
  • Can be demanding in terms of the DAC/amp to pair with it
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 5/5 - Outstanding

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this IEM!

Crimson_summary.jpg

Updated: April 8, 2024
Nice review! After reading your impressions and reviews on other sets, I had a pretty big hunch that the Crimson would be right up your alley.

I've liked the Crimson ever since the day I got them, but I gained an even bigger appreciation for them after I listened to the 2Cellos Gladiator song you recommended testing with. The Crimson came out way on top for soundstage and imaging compared to the rest of my IEMs.

I really enjoyed auditioning the Crimson at Can Jam Singapore. Top notch technicalities and imaging and soundstage as you guys say. Definitely TOTL but the wallet cannot afford it haha.

Symphonium Crimson.jpg

Their newest Symphonium Titan is a basshead tuned hybrid (incidentally I think it is also Symphonium's first hybrid [1DD + 2BA]). Huge sub-bass visceral rumble while retaining decent technical aspects in the treble. Found is a tinge hard to drive too.

Symphonium Titan.jpg

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #98,719 of 100,767
There are quite a few sub $100 USD planar IEM releases in recent months. Most of them are around 3.5/5 in sounding average and not doing anything majorly wrong, but not being some market disruptor either.

Word on the street from folks who do tear-downs of IEMs is that most of the current planar IEM releases use the same planar driver, so it is just a matter of different shells, damping, nozzles etc which slightly modifies the sound signature. So they are kinda sidegradish at this point in time yes.

Hmm, the MP145 has one of the better timbre for a planar IEM (the best one in timbre to my ears is still the Letshuoer S15, but that is pricey and is not that strong technically).

But even so, these 2 won't beat a well-tuned single DD in the timbral accuracy department. But pros and cons, most of these planar IEMs do beat the single DDs in technical prowess.

I really enjoyed auditioning the Crimson at Can Jam Singapore. Top notch technicalities and imaging and soundstage as you guys say. Definitely TOTL but the wallet cannot afford it haha.

Their newest Symphonium Titan is a basshead tuned hybrid (incidentally I think it is also Symphonium's first hybrid [1DD + 2BA]). Huge sub-bass visceral rumble while retaining decent technical aspects in the treble. Found is a tinge hard to drive too.

Words on the street is that both variations of Pilgrim also kickass technical wise. There is no shortage of technical IEMs nowadays.

I’m very curious about Annihilator 2023 and STORM. I mean, how much better could it get? Are we reaching a point where we hear even more details than the audio engineers who mix our music?

Anyhow, I’m rocking an EQ’ed Aful P8 today. Such a strong technical performance based on (likely) cheap BA drivers and clever engineering

That reminds me, @baskingshark @gadgetgod did you guys try Hiby x FAudio Project ACE at Canjam? Is Hiby even there?

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #98,720 of 100,767
Words on the street is that both variations of Pilgrim also kickass technical wise. There is no shortage of technical IEMs nowadays.

I’m very curious about Annihilator 2023 and STORM. I mean, how much better could it get? Are we reaching a point where we hear even more details than the audio engineers who mix our music?

Anyhow, I’m rocking an EQ’ed Aful P8 today. Such a strong technical performance based on (likely) cheap BA drivers and clever engineering

That reminds me, @baskingshark @gadgetgod did you guys try Hiby x FAudio Project ACE at Canjam? Is Hiby even there?

Hmm I didn't recall seeing this Hiby x FAudio Project ACE. But perhaps the others did and can chime in.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #98,721 of 100,767

The project Ace is definitely on my radar. I love the aestetics. I reached out to Hiby to see about doing a review but haven't received a response. One can hope lol

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #98,724 of 100,767
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #98,725 of 100,767
I saw Baskingshark's Variations post on FB, it's not a Moondrop if the Faceplate doesn't come off 😂

Jokes aside, I don't expect IEM faceplates to remain intact for a long time if they are glued on.

That Sympth Titan has me interested, it graphs with a ton of bass, looks to be a Meteor successor which I have and found hard to drive too, maybe there's a lot of dampenin?

The forgotten Triton model is Sympth's first hybrid by the looks of it, no one really talked about this IEM, largely overshadowed by the Helios

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #98,726 of 100,767
That gourd idea, I would imagine it being fairly close to a wood housing but even larger. I would love to see that in someones ears. Would make for a nice conversation piece. As soon as I saw that. It reminded me of experiments of IEMs past. Something like the Brainwavz R3 with dual dynamic facing each other. Dont know who thought this was a good idea but it made the sound stage all mucky and trebles that sounded blurred.
1712588663749.png
They were like bombs sticking out of your ears. Absolutely goofy looking design. Even a worse SQ to go with it.

True story. Brainwavz wanted me to test out their, "new revolutionary design." I still have a prototype of these they sent me. Wow what a fail of epic proportions. I gave them my $.02 worth and I was never a fan of these. And then you want to talk about fitment issues. Lol. These things. Needless to say never gathered any steam as far as popularity goes. Chalk this one up as experiements gone wrong circa 2014.
The only IEM of theirs I liked was the B2 dual BA. It was actually a pretty good IEM, but I parted with them because I liked the Doppio better. Better bass and stage. The B400's treble was rolled off and too dark, the Delta was garbage, as was the R3 and the Omega. Remarkably, they are still around today, but mostly they just do wireless products.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #98,727 of 100,767

Yeah, a single DD will remain my reference point for instrument reproduction but of course, technical limitations do make me grab for other configs and I can see value in variety.

Also, thank you for your coverage from CJ Singapore! Your style is always succinct and I know I can trust your ears.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #98,728 of 100,767
First KZ IEM purchase for me : The Castor (Bass edition, 4 switches).

I just cannot believe how good and fun these sound for USD 14.-. The built quality is more than ok and they fit well into my ears. Well done KZ!

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #98,729 of 100,767
I saw Baskingshark's Variations post on FB, it's not a Moondrop if the Faceplate doesn't come off 😂

Jokes aside, I don't expect IEM faceplates to remain intact for a long time if they are glued on.

That Sympth Titan has me interested, it graphs with a ton of bass, looks to be a Meteor successor which I have and found hard to drive too, maybe there's a lot of dampenin?

The forgotten Triton model is Sympth's first hybrid by the looks of it, no one really talked about this IEM, largely overshadowed by the Helios

I went to buy some B7000 Epoxy glue online and will attempt to salvage the Moondrop Variations faceplate and convert it back from an "open-backed" design haha.

Ah good point about the Triton. Are you a basshead per chance? Cause Symphonium Titan will probably suit your needs, but not if you want something not so intrusive in the bass and more esolving.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #98,730 of 100,767
More pokemon out of the woodwork!

Today's weekly obligatory release is uncreatively named, the KZ ZS10 Pro 2.

1.JPG

$36 USD

10mm Dynamic Driver + Dual 31736 BA

For the anti tuning switch gang, sorry, it comes with 4 tuning switches. Will it live up to the lofty name of the ZS10 Pro lineage, or will a PRO version of this come out next week? Stay tuned!

3.JPG

2.JPG

https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-zs10-pro-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back