The discovery thread!
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #98,611 of 100,489

Mine cost a bit more but I like the wood and soft insides. Latch and hinges feel decent too.
That looks very nice, can you share where you got it?

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #98,612 of 100,489
ISN Neo 3 on the burn in kit today. love it strait of the box even though its a bit bassey . I am a basshead Mom.
Even bassey as it is, it is somewhat balanced. Has a chance to be my favorite if it balances out.
Swapped out the stock cable for a new ISN CU 4.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #98,613 of 100,489
Folks, one question.

Which IEM / combo that started you down the rabbit hole 🤔

For me, it’s U18s + A&K SP2000 + Bach Partita 2 performed by Julia Fischer. I was using FiiO FH3 at that time. The way the stage changes from flat and 2D to a dome of sound within and around the head was mind blowing.
If by rabbit hole you mean the journey of mass consumption of IEMs and the search for the "perfect sound", then that's easy. Sennheiser CX300ii + Fiio Kilimanjaro amp + Sony NWZ S545-16GB (red) that I ran to the ground for 3 years (2009-2012), until the Senns broke accidentally, and in my frantic search to replace them adequately, I found myself HERE. At the time (2012), all the rage were the Shure SE215 and the Klipsch S4. I made the mistake of plunking down for the S4, as they seemed to be the most like my beloved CX300ii. WRONG. The fit was messy and the sound was shrill. So I was super bummed and ended up buying some UE TF10's and enjoyed them for the "REVELATORY" sound!! OMG!! What was this witchcraft?! But the fit was a mess yet again! So I sold and went with...............and here I am to this day. HEY ALL! lol

As for the rabbit hole....I'm still in it because last night I spent time with the recabled and tip rolled Fearless Shangri-la, and DANGIT, I want an IEM with the field of depth and stage of the Shangri-la's with the width and spacing of the Trio, with similar technicalities or superior tech to the Trio or Aure, but with the dimensionality of the Shangs (The Shangs have too much mid bass, lack imaging of the Trio, and now quite the air I prefer). So if I can find something that Frankenstein's these qualities, I might be close to finding my way out of the rabbit hole? Maybe?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #98,614 of 100,489
Just ordered an Aur Neon Pro. Wife threw a screaming fit. You would have thought we were poor. I am rich in DAPS, cables and IEMs.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #98,615 of 100,489
Hey there! :)
Does anyone know what IEMs there will be at Munich High End 24 (this year in a month). I know the focus isn´t IEMs, but I guess there will be some at least.
Appreciate your help!
I am considering attending too, but have absolutely no clue on what to expect.

Hmm, I've just read one man's excitement about A3000 on the Final thread.
Couldn't resist since I am a Finals fan :)

They are in the basket as well :)
Hopefully it's a reinforced basket you're using, cause it's getting crowded in there!

Folks, one question.

For me, it’s U18s + A&K SP2000 + Bach Partita 2 performed by Julia Fischer. I was using FiiO FH3 at that time. The way the stage changes from flat and 2D to a dome of sound within and around the head was mind blowing.
It started in December 2022 with the Wan'er and BTR7. Loved it then and love it still for vocal work. Flabbergasted doesn't cut it to express how highly I regarded the Wan'er at its price.

I think it was like 2006, and I was happily (blissfully ignorant) wandering around listening to my Sandisk Sansa Fuse and the earbuds that came with it. Somebody I worked with had an iPod with something deep in his ears. When he pulled them out, I was like WT**** are those?! These were the Etymōtic ER4/Ps. After hearing this guy swear up and down they were phenomenal, I shrugged it off at the time. But later, I succumbed to the iPod hype and bought one, then starting reading up on pairings for it (never read the Internet, my children), I saw Etymōtic being mentioned everywhere so I took the first plunge into the rabbit hole and became that guy from months earlier. Things have never been the same since.
Ha, I'm the 'weird' one at work and I sure hope any of my coworkers decides to try IEMs once instead of just frowning at me.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #98,616 of 100,489
Folks, one question.

Some Black JVC marshmallow and creative labs nomad Nuvo in red. Waaaaaay back 2003 riding the bus just jamming out. After fiddling around with that i got into anythingbutipod.com and read about head-fi from there. The rest is history.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #98,617 of 100,489
Folks, one question.

I was always into Sony headphones before i got into chi-fi stuff, but as far as chi-fi goes it was the Superlux HD-668B for overear headphones, and TRN V80 for IEMs.

All I remember was both had very harsh sibilance and I couldn't listen to them for long times. I had to do the toilet paper mod for the HD-668B.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #98,618 of 100,489
They told me it is like 1299SGD. They also launched a new Gold variant today at the CJ SG, Will listen to it tomorrow. The current one that I listened at Zepp had a balanced sounding with a bit boost in the bass region. Maybe they changed the tuning a bit.
Did Ice tells you the price or Zepp? Zepp is way way overpriced on most things I've looked into by $100.00 or more.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #98,619 of 100,489
At the behest of @Dsnuts, I've been tuning nozzle rolling, and landed on some awesome combos. The first was using the NX7 balanced (blue) nozzle on the N5005. This provides a more reigned in treble response while giving me a tad more bass than the corresponding N5005 nozzle. Now with that in mind, I switched and used the N5005 on the NX7 MK 4, and it provided a bit more air than it's stock filter. Honestly though, both flag a bit behind the Trio and the Shangs regardless.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #98,620 of 100,489
Folks, one question.

Kz zs5 + sony nwz a17 in 2017, then zs10pro in 2022. I wasnt satisfied with fit so i started looking for other iems. Well, later i realized i just needed other tips. But it was too late to stop haha and here i am now

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #98,621 of 100,489
Thanks for the response, everyone! Surprising how much KZ hybrid series played an important role in getting so many people into this hobby.

Isn't u18 an iem? Or something else as you say you were using fh3.

I was using FH3 and was not quite pleases. So I borrowed the “most outrageous, unreasonably expensive” setup from my local hifi store to see what the fuss is about. That was the U18s + SP2000T. Couldn’t believe that such sound can exist.

9) The AFUL P3 is an upcoming 2BA + 1 DD hybrid from the brand. Retail price and launch date TBC, but it will probably be sub-$100 according to their rep.

It sounds like a neutral IEM with a sub-bass boost. Very balanced with good technicalities. Non-shouty upper mids, good extension at both ends. Very promising tuning, with just a small nitpick of slight BA timbre. Fits well too.

AFUL p3 2.jpg
AFUL P3.jpg

Great impressions, mate. Just one teeny tiny problem

D6F9AB36-0FDD-4F37-A72C-F2F5A63E6FC1.jpeg

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #98,622 of 100,489
Folks, one question.

A venerable etymotic ER4P … and when the cable finally failed as all well loved, non replaceable cable connections do, shure 530 out of a USB dongle from Meridian Audio.

One heck of a rabbit hole. I’m in the process of cable upgrades having committed to Eletech Ode to Laura, Enigma. And quite possibly the Nightjar Soverign to pair Trailii driven with the SP3000.

Keen to try the Prismstica and might visit Zepp next month.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #98,623 of 100,489
Thank you for the great detailed and engaging story!!!

The Quattro in a "to watch" list with a unique design and 4 DDs.

Celest Relentless will be a buy from your descriprion and images, and my experience with Celest, even going over my limit of $150, the Kinera/Celest aesthetics totally justifies it for me.

Yesterday I got Wyvern Pro - just an amazing unboxing experience, those beautiful characters:

As silly as it sounds, I got the Wyvern for the Dragon, and I hope it will work out as a gaming set for our youngest son (I am all for him playing vioiln and piano concertos instead of gaming, but I am only a half or a quarter of the "tiger parent" ).

Haha I rather get the Wyvern and Celest bookmarks than a WAIFU!!!!

Just ordered an Aur Neon Pro. Wife threw a screaming fit. You would have thought we were poor. I am rich in DAPS, cables and IEMs.

Haha bro welcome to the club!

PRO TIP: always buy small and non-exotic looking IEMs that are easy to conceal. Wife will think it is an existing IEM you already own LOLOL.

Headphones are obviously a giveaway due to the size. Anything weird looking or radically coloured will also let the cat out of the bag. So something silverish or black that looks very generic can be easily passed off as an existing gear. SHHHHHHH.

Expect that your wallet will be emptier bro. But these kinds of audio meets are great to try out new gear (especially TOTL ones that are not easily accessible), meet audiophile friends and just to have fun.

Great impressions, mate. Just one teeny tiny problem

Haha I knew you would ask for this Cantor. Here you go:

AFUL Cantor 2.jpg

I think this is a 7 BA set? Not sure if this is the final tuning, but it sounds quite neutralish/balanced. I know there's supposed to be some lengthened acoustic tube to increase bass resonance, but I couldn't hear tons of sub-bass at the noisy show room floor (probably the stock eartips provided were also not sealing well).

I found the Cantor to be quite crisp and resolving, with good technicalities and an expansive soundstage. Slight BA timbre. Very fast and clean bass. Found it hot in the upper mids/treble, but once again, this may possibly be due to an inadequate eartip seal, which may skew towards the upper frequencies as such.

Unsure about the pricing and release date, but it at least should compete in the midFI segment.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #98,624 of 100,489

Hopefully it's a reinforced basket you're using, cause it's getting crowded in there!

It started in December 2022 with the Wan'er and BTR7. Loved it then and love it still for vocal work. Flabbergasted doesn't cut it to express how highly I regarded the Wan'er at its price.

Ha, I'm the 'weird' one at work and I sure hope any of my coworkers decides to try IEMs once instead of just frowning at me.
I'm the weird one at work too! I use my Schiit stack for audio during meetings and a different set of headphones each day (so I can spread the audio love and talk shop with other music lovers).

The gear that got me started was a $100 set of Shure IEMs from about 2007 with no detachable cable. I can't remember the model now. Nothing spectacular. Then I had the Audio Technica ATH-M50 thinking it was the best headphone in the world! 🤣🤣

I'm spending my evening with the Dita Project M. I'm really impressed so far. It's clean and technical with more of a bass presence than I expected. Great for jazz and acoustic music so far. I'm recently appreciating sets that are a little more treble-focused. My 52 year old ears don't mind the higher frequencies.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #98,625 of 100,489
Haha I rather get the Wyvern and Celest bookmarks than a WAIFU!!!!

Haha bro welcome to the club!

PRO TIP: always buy small and non-exotic looking IEMs that are easy to conceal. Wife will think it is an existing IEM you already own LOLOL.

Headphones are obviously a giveaway due to the size. Anything weird looking or radically coloured will also let the cat out of the bag. So something silverish or black that looks very generic can be easily passed off as an existing gear. SHHHHHHH.

Expect that your wallet will be emptier bro. But these kinds of audio meets are great to try out new gear (especially TOTL ones that are not easily accessible), meet audiophile friends and just to have fun.

Haha I knew you would ask for this Cantor. Here you go:

I think this is a 7 BA set? Not sure if this is the final tuning, but it sounds quite neutralish/balanced. I know there's supposed to be some lengthened acoustic tube to increase bass resonance, but I couldn't hear tons of sub-bass at the noisy show room floor (probably the stock eartips provided were also not sealing well).

I found the Cantor to be quite crisp and resolving, with good technicalities and an expansive soundstage. Slight BA timbre. Very fast and clean bass. A tinge hot in the upper mids/treble, but once again, this may possibly be due to an inadequate eartip seal, which may skew towards the upper frequencies as such.

Unsure about the pricing and release date, but it at least should compete in the midFI segment.
Thanks mate. They better not finalise the Cantor like this. The look, build quality, and impressions seem disappointing at best. It’s supposed to be a 16 driver monster that finally stands squarely against an average (multi) kilobuck, not another “alright, it’s a midFi”. Time to chase other contacts for more impressions about Cantor :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back