The discovery thread!
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #97,713 of 100,489
I decided to dip into the spring sales going on and bought the Xenns Mangird Top for 450.00. I recall someone telling me it would be good for electronica and other complex music and I saved 80 dollars. I know it has dropped to just under 400 at Aliexpress, but I bought mine from Linsoul. Did I do ok with this purchase. Decides to stay away things like the Pula and Origin for right now.
Yes you did 👌

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #97,714 of 100,489
I decided to dip into the spring sales going on and bought the Xenns Mangird Top for 450.00. I recall someone telling me it would be good for electronica and other complex music and I saved 80 dollars. I know it has dropped to just under 400 at Aliexpress, but I bought mine from Linsoul. Did I do ok with this purchase. Decides to stay away things like the Pula and Origin for right now.
Excited to hear your thoughts, always had my eye on the Xenns Top

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #97,715 of 100,489
That works! Thanks

Now I'm scratching my head...
BTW good SQ for the price: darker and warmer sound, good details and resolution for low level cable.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #97,716 of 100,489
Penon 10th AE
Penon Quattro
Tansio Mirai X
The 10th is such a beast...........and somehow I view it slightly different than when I wrote a review about it. In the review I talk about how well-rounded it is, and still that is a key feature, the fact that it goes with all genres of music and any source. Except now after spending even more time with it, I'm really amazed by the midrange and imaging? Weird? Probably just the footprint it makes......the size is cool to me now? That it is made up of big imaging, and while maybe the pace is not its strong point, the rest of what it does is so wildly dynamic, that I don't care at all. The 10th is my favorite Penon/ISN.........and I have lost track how many I have heard.....at least 15 or 16?

Edit:
It is 16 I just counted.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #97,717 of 100,489
Tansio Mirai X
CKLVX D41
Galaxay Buds Pro 2 (cuz a guy needs to cut the ties that bind every now and again)
Also, I appreciate the Buds 2; they're well tunned only needs more volume.

The TSMR-X is currently the one ai listen more, and wondering how they compare with CKLVX D41/SLIIVO, are these the same iem?

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #97,718 of 100,489
The 10th is such a beast...........and somehow I view it slightly different than when I wrote a review about it. In the review I talk about how well-rounded it is, and still that is a key feature, the fact that it goes with all genres of music and any source. Except now after spending even more time with it, I'm really amazed by the midrange and imaging? Weird? Probably just the footprint it makes......the size is cool to me now? That it is made up of big imaging, and while maybe the pace is not its strong point, the rest of what it does is so wildly dynamic, that I don't care at all. The 10th is my favorite Penon/ISN.........and I have lost track how many I have heard.....at least 15 or 16?
Agree that the 10AE is amazing! as mentioned above, I'm listening more to TSMR-X that after the burn in, it sounds fuller and less trebles shimmer.

Today I went back and used the OG cable, and surprisingly the treble is no more as initially was, anyway went back to a longer cooper cable.

16! Penon ISN! Lucky you. I'm waiting for Penon's Voltage, it should be announced any day now.

Don't have ISN yet, eyeing the Neo5, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #97,719 of 100,489
There was polling about best of the best IEMs of any price on watercooler's thread on 2023, the Fir Audio Radon Rn6 ($3,200) was approved as the no 1 and Sony IER-Z1R ($1,700) on 2nd place. I forgot the 3rd place, maybe Annihilator ($3,000) CMIIW. To be honest I was quite surprised with the result, with those 3 beating lot of great contenders with multikilobucks tag IEMs. They are all great IEMs with only slight differences and more personal bias and preferences but with diminishing return is really steep here.
I really don’t get the sustained TOTL status, that the Z1R still enjoys; I get that it's design was way ahead of it's time, 6ish years ago. And yes the Z1R has the best sub bass that I’ve experienced and an impressive, wide soundstage. But the Z1R is the definition of a sharp V shape, sound profile. In comparison to current trending IEMs, like the Penon 10th Anniversary, the vocals are severely recessed.

Even though I'm a professed basshead, I would still pick the Penon Anniv. over the Z1R, 90% of the time. And that 10% (for me) isn't worth the triple cost, of the Penon Anniv.

Sony IER Z1R vs Penon 10th.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #97,720 of 100,489
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #97,721 of 100,489
Even as native Hindi speaker, I have not seen these series except for Delhi Crime…
P.S. I'll gladly take suggestions for a good series like Delhi Crime, Aranyak, Mai, The Railway Men, etc.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #97,722 of 100,489
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
--------
Can start my self, in no order:
  • Campfire Audio Bonneville
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II
I can compile the entrys over a week if it's interesting for folks, I think it's interesting to see what people love here.

DSCF4632-1.jpgDSCF4578.jpgDSCF4620.jpg
Here's my two bits...

Most recent love affairs: Xenns/Mangird Top, SoundRhyme DTE900, Simgot EA1K, Binary Chopin (mostly soft-modded w/mesh and/or foam filters, copper cables, etc)

On-going love affairs: Softears Twilight (Coreir eartips, Tansio Mirai X (ARTTI 8-core OCC SPC cable), Penon Impact (same ARTTI cable w/Penon's orange eartips), SoundRhyme SR8

Guilty pleasures: SoundRhyme SR5, Thieaudio Oracle, Fearless Lancelot

Source(s): HiBy R5gen2, Ibasso DX-170, Shanling M6 Pro ('21), TempoTec Variations V6

--Main reason(s) I've been so quiet lately... my lovelies are keeping me busily engaged 😎

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #97,723 of 100,489
Because so many members are experiencing the TSMR-X as their favorite this year........I took the liberty of posting a few glamor shots?

DSC_1385.jpegtop.jpeg

DSC_1375.jpegsw.jpeg
DSC_1377.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1394.jpeg2s23.jpeg
DSC_1416.jpege.jpeg
DSC_1422.jpegqw.jpeg
DSC_1431.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1433.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1435.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1436.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1441.jpeg23.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #97,725 of 100,489
Ok, inlines of three favorite iems that you listen to. It depends on the day and the detail level I want.

Elysian Anniliator 2023
Fat Freq Grand Mystero
Gizaudio Chopin x Binary

I basically sold all my midfi sets as like... Chopin does it for me. Doesn't leave me hanging or sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back