The discovery thread!
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #97,171 of 104,197
Speaking of Himalaya, titanium + titanium = 😍

I want to spend more time before I share extensive listening impressions but I’m certainly impressed so far, switched to the blue nozzle today which takes a warmer, immersive path yet still provides wonderful imaging and layering - highly captivating. Oh and the stumpy nozzles could definitely be a problem for some ears - highly recommend the Acoustune AEX07 tips as a solution here, I’m using XL which are 14mm wide and the slightly firmer construction provides an excellent seal and very comfortable… my top choice of tips now.

IMG_1934.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #97,172 of 104,197
Speaking of Himalaya, titanium + titanium = 😍

I want to spend more time before I share extensive listening impressions but I’m certainly impressed so far, switched to the blue nozzle today which takes a warmer, immersive path yet still provides wonderful imaging and layering - highly captivating. Oh and the stumpy nozzles could definitely be a problem for some ears - highly recommend the Acoustune AEX07 tips as a solution here, I’m using XL which are 14mm wide and the slightly firmer construction provides an excellent seal and very comfortable… my top choice of tips now.

IMG_1934.jpeg
I got impatient, and ordered a set today! The aesthetic was just too tempting even the cable looks nice.

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #97,173 of 104,197
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #97,174 of 104,197
Why not? I like them :)

Cheers!

MMCX come in a variety of grades, from cheap (usually lower quality ones) in budget CHIFI, all the way to more expensive ones used in TOTL models like the MMCX used in the Sony TOTL gear like M9 and Z1R for example.

So in general, the cheaper MMCX usually pose issues with frequent cable swaps, they are only rated for so many changes before the MMCX becomes loose and starts spinning like a windvane. Some other MMCX have bad QC and come very tight out of the box.

2-pin connectors may have their issues such as compatibility (eg there are multiple variants like angled versus straight, recessed versus protruding, 0.75 mm versus 0.78 mm for example), but in my IEM journey for the past 10+ years, most of the issues I encountered are usually from MMCX connectors becoming too loose.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #97,175 of 104,197
I got my Hades set in yesterday, my wife loves old-school v-shaped Sony headphones so I figured I'd give it a try for the low price.

I don't hate them that much?

The sound signature is v-shaped as hell, but it's kind of fun in a car-audio kind of way. I could see busting these out for some serious electronica sessions where I don't want to do any critical listening and just want four-on-the-floor pushing the world out while I get in the zone on something at work. Serious audiophiles need not apply.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #97,176 of 104,197
MMCX come in a variety of grades, from cheap (usually lower quality ones) in budget CHIFI, all the way to more expensive ones used in TOTL models like the MMCX used in the Sony TOTL gear like M9 and Z1R for example.

So in general, the cheaper MMCX usually pose issues with frequent cable swaps, they are only rated for so many changes before the MMCX becomes loose and starts spinning like a windvane. Some other MMCX have bad QC and come very tight out of the box.

2-pin connectors may have their issues such as compatibility (eg there are multiple variants like angled versus straight, recessed versus protruding, 0.75 mm versus 0.78 mm for example), but in my IEM journey for the past 10+ years, most of the issues I encountered are usually from MMCX connectors becoming too loose.
MMCX implemented in a similar fashion of etymotic would be the best IMHO, they don’t spin and never had issues with them. Pulled out the cable many times and reattached it, always like new.. In my experience this design, if well implemented (good qc), is the best. You really risk to break your 2 pins if you don’t pay enough attention when you swap them and, as Zeos said, they become “slutty” with wear and tear. Also you need to always check for polarity, nothing dramatic, but with mmcx you have one less thing to do, they’re foolproof.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #97,177 of 104,197

Good to know that not all MMCX connectors are built the same. My only experience with MMCX is with the Dunu Falcon Ultra and the left IEM already has a loose connection after just a handful of cable swaps. The stock cable as well as a few Chi-Fi cables either get no audio on the left side or I have to reposition/spin the IEM to get a connection that lasts a split second before its lost again.

I currently have it hooked up to the NiceHCK BlackCat with no issues so they're partners for life now. No more cable rolling with the Falcon Ultra..

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #97,179 of 104,197
but in my IEM journey for the past 10+ years, most of the issues I encountered are usually from MMCX connectors becoming too loose.
But if you are like me—which means I stick to one cable, perhaps just two/three changes,
sometimes, not even that much if I stick to the original cable—then there are no problems.
In that case, MMCX is beneficial because it's very convenient for moving cables and fitting them on ears.
I'd be really sad if these were completely replaced with 2-pin.

What about these two-pin adapters that Fiio has for MMCX? I just ordered one from Aliexpress.
I don't know whether these adapters exist directly for IEMs?
Perhaps something like that could save you some trouble?

Fiio two pin to MMCX adapter.png

Cheers!

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #97,181 of 104,197
Well, they have finally arrived!
Some photos before trying them out.
They come wrapped as if they were sweets...

NiceHCK Himalaya 01.jpgNiceHCK Himalaya 02.jpg
Pop em in your mouth and see how they taste?😅

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #97,182 of 104,197
Well, they have finally arrived!
Some photos before trying them out.
They come wrapped as if they were sweets...

NiceHCK Himalaya 01.jpgNiceHCK Himalaya 02.jpg
Mine is with my postal company since about 2 weeks now lol

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #97,183 of 104,197
A Friday sort of album to get you grooving into the weekend. My personal favourites have to be Dreams and Thoughts.

1000012463.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back