The discovery thread!
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #97,006 of 103,506
I bought this in February, so I can answer it. Tbh, I’m not happy with this set, but it has nothing to do with its quality, just that it doesn’t suit my personal preference.

I at first was to find something new to daily drive since I was planning to send my Rn6 for refitting, so I tried the demo at Let’s Go Audio (one of the authorised sellers of the authorised dealer, ECT, of Gaudio). The first impression of this iem was really really good, with crazy good bass, fantastic sub & mid bass, and really good vocal and warmth, everything is thick and huge which is exactly everything I like as a metalhead, so I immediately pulled the trigger after around a hour of listening.

But then when I listened to my own set, it just sounds different and the difference is quite significant, quantitatively weaker bass overall although it’s still tight, scooped mid which hugely affects instruments, male vocals, and the warmth of female vocals. I’m not saying it’s bad at all but it is not what I was looking for.

So I took the set to a/b listen at Letsgo with their demo, it sounded different, so they told me to have it checked by ECT. Then when I took it to ECT, they said mine is perfectly normal. So I a/b listened with their demo and their demo sounds exactly like mine. I told them that, and ECT said it could be due to insufficient hours of burning in, so no replacement. I personally don’t believe in burn in, and since Hong Kong is one of those places offered no return policy unless it’s found to be functionally defective, to this day, I still don’t know which one is its true sound and I’m tuck with it.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s still a good iem, it’s just that the tuning isn’t my thing. I do think it suits really well with ambient tracks (I really like Alcest on this set), and female vocals. And oddly enough, there is one metal album that sounds really good on them is Opeth’s Ghost Reveries.

I think that’s just advertisement, I have completely no idea of how speaker soundstage is, but it does have quite a huge soundstage. I heard that you can create “faked” soundstage by increasing the contrast between midbass and upper mid/high, I think this is how Gaudio implemented it, and why I don’t like it, but there is no measurement of it, don’t take my word too seriously.
May be the set you auditioned at Let's go audio was the one with a different tuning? Are they making different tunings for different markets now?

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #97,007 of 103,506
May be the set you auditioned at Let's go audio was the one with a different tuning? Are they making different tunings for different markets now?
I don’t think so. In my understanding, Let’s go audio get their unit through ECT. It is like this: ECT gets units from Gaudio directly, and Letsgo gets units from ECT. So regarding why two demos sound different, ECT saids it’s because Let’s Go have a longer burn-in duration. So my thought is that don’t rush to make decision before seeing a FR graph.

*Both Letsgo and ECT are in Hong Kong.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #97,008 of 103,506
EC2DF79A-31D8-4A86-969F-7383CCD4CDCC.jpeg

Unsurprisingly, this combo works quite well.

Edit: man, Magic One is great for this genre of music. My new set of velvet tip is an excellent purchase today.

Edit 2: a bit more elaboration on the AFUL dongle pairing with Magic One. I hear a large stage with precise imaging. In an orchestral track, everything is spread out rather than than (slightly) clumping together like how I usually hear from R3II. How much better is something that I need to determine in careful A/B tests. I have been using the dongle continuously for an hour or so but it is not warm at all, which is good. The build quality is much better than I expected. For some reason, I thought it is a flimsy plastic USB stick, but no, it's a solid chunk of metal. It feels thicker and more substantial in the hand than all dongles I have reviewed, except the L&P W4. I haven't tried Questyle M15 or any Cayin, so I can't say whether this dongle is as good as those one, but without comparisons, just from the AFUL Magic One, I'm quite happy with the sound.

Luckily, I have two hard to drive bass cannon here for comparison. Will report back when I try this dongle with the FatFreq pairs.

Thanks for sharing! I totally agree about the SN—it's seriously impressive. I'd love to hear the Magic One myself, especially since everyone seems to rave about it here. Can't quite wrap my head around how one BA could sound so good, but hey, stranger things have happened!

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #97,009 of 103,506
Thanks for sharing! I totally agree about the SN—it's seriously impressive. I'd love to hear the Magic One myself, especially since everyone seems to rave about it here. Can't quite wrap my head around how one BA could sound so good, but hey, stranger things have happened!
Ey, fancy seeing you here. I saw your video recommendation on my feed the other day. How can you push the videos out so fast? 😂

My early verdict is that I can 100% recommend AFUL snowy night. It fixes all of my dissatisfactions of the previous dongles:
  • No hiss with Andromeda, with plenty of volume adjustment range
  • Drive difficult loads like Symphonium Meteor easily (not loudness, I’m talking about stage and dynamic). Edit: it even handles the Scarlet Mini 😯
  • Does not get hot. I plugged it in my laptop entire work day and it only gets slightly warm.
  • Does not drain battery quickly
  • Satisfying stage with anything I throw at it.
  • Good details but not edgy.
As a matter of sheer luck, I’m having a simgot dongle with pretty similar spec coming. It’s going to be exciting.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #97,010 of 103,506
, there is one metal album that sounds really good on them is Opeth’s Ghost Reveries.
Opeth rocks!

What a bizarre experience though with this iem. Hmmm, since that was February, can't be burn in also by now unless you didn't use it only! Just let it play 'ghost of perdition' for a month and then pick it up! It's perdition' time for that iem in reality!

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #97,011 of 103,506
Opeth rocks!

What a bizarre experience though with this iem. Hmmm, since that was February, can't be burn in also by now unless you didn't use it only! Just let it play 'ghost of perdition' for a month and then pick it up! It's perdition' time for that iem in reality!
Isn’t this song something special? I’m listening to it right now.😂

It’s special to me because it was exactly this song made me decided to make the purchase, and it’s also this song, even with a different sound, it still sounds amazing.

I’m sure it’s gonna be its perdition day if I play this song non-stop for a month, one of those drivers are gonna suffer.😂

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #97,012 of 103,506
Ey, fancy seeing you here. I saw your video recommendation on my feed the other day. How can you push the videos out so fast? 😂

My early verdict is that I can 100% recommend AFUL snowy night. It fixes all of my dissatisfactions of the previous dongles:
  • No hiss with Andromeda, with plenty of volume adjustment range
  • Drive difficult loads like Symphonium Meteor easily (not loudness, I’m talking about stage and dynamic). Edit: it even handles the Scarlet Mini 😯
  • Does not get hot. I plugged it in my laptop entire work day and it only gets slightly warm.
  • Does not drain battery quickly
  • Satisfying stage with anything I throw at it.
  • Good details but not edgy.
As a matter of sheer luck, I’m having a simgot dongle with pretty similar spec coming. It’s going to be exciting.
Great to finally join after lurking for so long! My trick for quick videos? No editing! With a full-time job, I just don't have the time. So, what you see is what you get.

About the SnowyNight, I'm using it every day and still loving it. No hiss, resolving, not sharp, and has lots of power Can't wait to read your full review on it. It totally deserves one.

A Simgot dongle? Whoa, wasn't expecting that! Can't wait to read how it stacks up against the AFUL dongle. It's gonna be interesting for sure!

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #97,013 of 103,506
Howdy folks, my pairing this evening:

One question for dongle connoisseurs here: is this dongle ordinary among the dual CL dongles in 2023 or is it an anomaly? I have been away from the dongle game for too long, and my last dongle (dual ESS from Penon) certainly didn’t have the stage and details like this one.

If all good 2023 dongles are like this, the future of budget DAP is gloomy indeed.

I do think the Snowy Night is quite a solid dongle, gets a 4/5 score from me. Neutral yet smooth without harsh note edges. Doesn't get hot during usage, with 300 mW power on 4.4 mm, which is quite competitive for a dongle. It isn't that great for critical listening (not too analytical), but is a good dongle for long chill sessions.

On A/B comparisons of the Snowy Night against other dual CS43198 DACs:
1) Aune Yuki

- The Yuki is also neutralish and smooth, but has less power (weaker by 50%).
- The Yuki has slightly better technicalities (soundstage, imaging, micro-detailing and instrument separation).
- The Yuki is more expensive though ($169 USD for the Yuki versus the $109 Snowy Night).
- The Yuki has some weird placement of the volume buttons which is not too ergonomic during usage.
- Won't recommend the Yuki with the advent of the Snowy Night, as the former is much more expensive for just a slight improvement in technical chops.

2) EPZ TP50
- This is a cold neutral analytical dongle. The TP50 has better technicalities, but is more sterile sounding.
- The SnowyNight is a tinge more powerful, though it does not have an LED screen and many settings to play with inside.
- Would consider these 2 as sidegrades, as the TP50 is $111 USD.
- If you want something for critical listening to analyze music, the TP50 is a better option, compared to the chill and smooth Snowy Night.

3) Simgot DEW4X
- Cheapest of the above comparisons, at $79.99 USD.
- DEW4X has half the power of the Snowy Night.
- DEW4X is slightly warmer in tonality than the Snowy Night.
- The DEW4X is a bit less technical.
- The Snowy Night is still a better dongle objectively, but is about 30 bucks more. So diminishing returns as per going deeper down the rabbithole.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #97,014 of 103,506
Isn’t this song something special? I’m listening to it right now.😂

It’s special to me because it was exactly this song made me decided to make the purchase, and it’s also this song, even with a different sound, it still sounds amazing.

I’m sure it’s gonna be its perdition day if I play this song non-stop for a month, one of those drivers are gonna suffer.😂
:) great song indeed. Btw courtesy @Leonarfd , listening and enjoying this https://songwhip.com/agalloch/in-the-shadow-of-our-pale-companion

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #97,015 of 103,506
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #97,016 of 103,506
I do think the Snowy Night is quite a solid dongle, gets a 4/5 score from me. Neutral yet smooth without harsh note edges. Doesn't get hot during usage, with 300 mW power on 4.4 mm, which is quite competitive for a dongle. It isn't that great for critical listening (not too analytical), but is a good dongle for long chill sessions.

On A/B comparisons of the Snowy Night against other dual CS43198 DACs:
1) Aune Yuki

- The Yuki is also neutralish and smooth, but has less power (weaker by 50%).
- The Yuki has slightly better technicalities (soundstage, imaging, micro-detailing and instrument separation).
- The Yuki is more expensive though ($169 USD for the Yuki versus the $109 Snowy Night).
- The Yuki has some weird placement of the volume buttons which is not too ergonomic during usage.
- Won't recommend the Yuki with the advent of the Snowy Night, as the former is much more expensive for just a slight improvement in technical chops.

2) EPZ TP50
- This is a cold neutral analytical dongle. The TP50 has better technicalities, but is more sterile sounding.
- The SnowyNight is a tinge more powerful, though it does not have an LED screen and many settings to play with inside.
- Would consider these 2 as sidegrades, as the TP50 is $111 USD.
- If you want something for critical listening to analyze music, the TP50 is a better option, compared to the chill and smooth Snowy Night.

3) Simgot DEW4X
- Cheapest of the above comparisons, at $79.99 USD.
- DEW4X has half the power of the Snowy Night.
- DEW4X is slightly warmer in tonality than the Snowy Night.
- The DEW4X is a bit less technical.
- The Snowy Night is still a better dongle objectively, but is about 30 bucks more. So diminishing returns as per going deeper down the rabbithole.
Thanks for the detailed elaboration, mate! I haven’t found lacking in critical listening yet. Maybe I’m more a stage guy than resolution guy 🤔

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #97,017 of 103,506
Howdy folks, my pairing this evening:

One question for dongle connoisseurs here: is this dongle ordinary among the dual CL dongles in 2023 or is it an anomaly? I have been away from the dongle game for too long, and my last dongle (dual ESS from Penon) certainly didn’t have the stage and details like this one.

If all good 2023 dongles are like this, the future of budget DAP is gloomy indeed.
Definitely that dongle scene has exploded rather nicely. Fir balanced neutral, you can pick ibasso DCO4 pro (smashing price value), bit boosted Dco3pro , cayin or the r2r fc6 for warmth and low-end tautness, or so many actually... Aune, colourfly, Tanchjim...all producing great stuff.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #97,018 of 103,506
If all good 2023
Who dares to say that the blue Falcon Ultra is not beautiful? :)

Cheers!
There's no way Elysian would bring anything so cheap even at 80% the performance of their multi kilobuck IEMs and cannibalize sales.
There are manufacturers on the market that sell 2k-10k headphones, but they also have lower priced with pretty good sound.
Sennheiser for example...Hm 2k...they have 60k headphones :)
And their 660S2 are damn good as well for $500.

But, I don't know anything about the policy of Elysian...just, it's possible.

Cheers!

Got me some a few weeks back and they quickly became my favorite tips ever!
Cool...then I am not tripping; it's real :)

Cheers!

I like my expensive iems, but I think the nonsense that a cheaper set can't sound good is crazy. Not a 15 dollar set, but there is a point where it has to start to turn the tide, and diminishing returns hit.
I completely agree with this. I consider this as enjoyment in listening to music that I love.
I get disappointed if the main goal is just comparing IEMs/headphones and the sound.
But for love of the music you are listening to...I completely enjoy the moment just the same with $50 and $... IEMs/headphones
($36 my new favourite budget IEMs Fiio FD11)

Cheers!
well-meaning companies pricing their IEMs in an open market will benchmark performance to price.
Hmm. The market dictates the value, not the manufacturers. I can make the best IEMs in the world and say they are worth $10k.
But if I can't sell them for $50, or if I can't sell one piece, then their value is $0. In that case, they are worth only to me.

On the other hand, if I can find buyers willing to pay $100k for them, their value on the market will be $100k.

This is not a new theory; it's an old one. But people like to believe differently that if they pay something $5k, that's their real value and even more.

Companies (big ones) know psychology very well and use it very well.

Cheers!
Ummm....if you get tips stuck in your ear, don't panic! The more you panic, the more it gets stuck.like quicksand.
Yoo...you always have to have a tweezer nearby, experience :)

Cheers!

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #97,020 of 103,506
My setup for today, Thanks to @Ace Bee for sending this unit. I am sad to inform him that my dog has just ate this set(Yeah i loved it so Ace Bee is not going back).

1710329248300.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back