The discovery thread!
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #95,971 of 100,733
I am about to head out on a trip this weekend.
Bringing MEST Mk1, DTE900, TSMR-X, EPZ 530 and Quattro.
Should be set for any genre... :sweat_smile:

IMO, yes. The Wu Zetian is the 2nd favorite [stock tuned] planar I have, being very close in my ranking to MP145.
It has better fit than the Hidizs and is a decidedly solid all-arounder.

Although not a pure Planar, the ISN Neo 3 [2DD plus Planar] is quite good, as well.
It is a definite step up over any of my purely Planar sets.
I always take sooo long and contemplate carefully about what set(s) to bring along for any trip, but in the end I struggle to find any listening time anyway. Oh, and of course always forget to pack something of much greater importance ...

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #95,972 of 100,733
Is there an answer to why there aren't more planar IEMs on the market?

I did some searching because I love planar headphones, but IEMs...Audeze got one...But I don't like open variant IEMs.
I am thinking of Z1R status, etc.
Both Audeze Euclid and Campfire audio Supermoon are sealed planars. I personally couldn't find a good seal with the Supermoon, but heard from many people that they listen to them in noisy environments without issues.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #95,973 of 100,733
I am about to head out on a trip this weekend.
Bringing MEST Mk1, DTE900, TSMR-X, EPZ 530 and Quattro.
Should be set for any genre... :sweat_smile:

IMO, yes. The Wu Zetian is the 2nd favorite [stock tuned] planar I have, being very close in my ranking to MP145.
It has better fit than the Hidizs and is a decidedly solid all-arounder.

Although not a pure Planar, the ISN Neo 3 [2DD plus Planar] is quite good, as well.
It is a definite step up over any of my purely Planar sets.
Its kinda shallow, but the iem design and the purple color... i really want it.
i also heard that it sounds very good, i just a bit worried that recent batch of iems might be better.

thank you for the response.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #95,974 of 100,733
say, do $80 second hand OG Wu Zetian worth the price nowadays?

compared to these new one that i could get for $30~50?
Like EW500/200, Trio, or Conch

Personally I don't really like the Tangzu Zetian Wu because of midcentric planar. Mids sounded little bit hollow and thinner compared to more bodied Timeless or even PR2 (if you have powerful source since PR2 is one of the hardest to drive IEM, mindblowing). Bass is light too, the Heyday also even lighter, worse tuning IMHO, sorry HBB. On positive side because of the planar, they have superb details, that you can only find in higher level hybrids, but planar can make it happen here. If you never try planar, you have to, but maybe the F1 pro or MP145 is better choice nowadays. I think they have similar 14.X driver and they have similar raw tuning with pointy 2.5 khz and 8khz boost. Speed also planar specialization thus the midbass are safe from smear (still can be bleed or too warm because of the tuning or damper)

But I have to admit, the recent releases of good DD have great details, catching up to that planar, with great speed too, tight, fast precise with better timbre. So "better" is really subjective here. On technicalities and details and speed, planars are better. But on timbre, dynamic (yes planars sounded more flatter from end to end extension even they have great details), and bass impact great DDs are better.
But if you never try planar, just try at least 1 or 2, that a different experiences.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #95,975 of 100,733
Final Audio E5000...

I am completely infected by the sound of Final Audio.

So far, I have tried a pretty decent amount of TOTL headphones...

And fewer IEMs, but enough to say that Final Audio are the only audio manufacturer I know that doesn't give a f what the masses want...
They follow their home sound, and who likes it, likes it...and who doesn't; there are plenty of other options, and I...LOVE IT! :)
And what's your wow factor?

I'm impressed by their soundstage and imaging. I have ze3000 and ze8000 mk2. I'm impressed by their tonality as well.

Sometimes I think if final combines that small f-core 6mm DD I with a hard slamming another DD for low end. F-core does a phenomenal performance in the treble and ultra hind end region. The only place it suffers is low end.

I don't know how the DD sounds inside the e5000 though but I'm pretty sure they did their homework. I have a great sympathy for Final audio.

Edit: after reading about the bass performance of e5000, maybe it'd be a great combination to combine the mentioned drivers. If they price it competitive, I'm sure final would be a good competitor in the market.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #95,976 of 100,733
Got Hidisz MP145 last day.
Still can't say I have found a planar GOAT, so far S15 my favorite of the ones I have tried 🤔

There were rumors about Hidisz changing the tuning and internal parts comparing it to the first generation. I have the first generation.

I wonder if that contributes to that factor. I'm impressed by mp145 especially after modding it with a foam with the silver filter. The issues are the size, the screws on the nozzle(doesn't seem to last long).

I haven't heard s15 so can't tell anything about it ofc.

Thanks to mp145, I got rid of the famous Timeless OG.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #95,977 of 100,733
Got Hidisz MP145 last day.
Still can't say I have found a planar GOAT, so far S15 my favorite of the ones I have tried 🤔

Nice audio taste, mate! Polyphia is GOAT.

I still can't believe that all of that music is played by humans, not a digital track. They are mindblowing.

Final Audio E5000...

I am completely infected by the sound of Final Audio.

So far, I have tried a pretty decent amount of TOTL headphones...

And fewer IEMs, but enough to say that Final Audio are the only audio manufacturer I know that doesn't give a f what the masses want...
They follow their home sound, and who likes it, likes it...and who doesn't; there are plenty of other options, and I...LOVE IT! :)

Final is an interesting company. In my experience, they don't really have a "house sound" but they pursue different research project with different series.

The B series is about the relationship between dynamic and stage. I still don't understand why they find dynamic and soundstage are opposite factors of an IEM subjective performance. I liked the B3, but the price was a bit hard to accept back then.

E series is about the "universal sound" that is enjoyable by everyone. AFAIK, they did something like Harman to find target, but they also modified the way they do subjective assessments. To them, the sound signature of E series is "neutral", perhaps in Japan.

A series is all about soundstage and transient response. Final went all in with these ideas at the expense of tonality, IMHO. Final A4000 has (artificially) large soundstage and crisp transient response, but the treble is quite violent. Final A8000 would be controversial given the price, but IMHO, it's very nice. Not sure if it is AUD $3600.

Kinda interesting that they have committed to TWS nowadays. I've yet to hear ZE8000, but other reviewers seem to love the sound of these a lot.

Not sure who told me this a few year back, but they said Final Audio is all about piano. No matter what they do, piano must sound good.

Listening to Final E5000 from my K7 as I type these. Quite easy on the ears and pleasing.

Edit: if the IEM sounds a bit too dark for you, switch to a larger ear tips and wear these IEMs more shallow. They are designed so that you can fine tune how they sound by changing the fit. This was inherited from the F series, if I'm not wrong.

This sounds very nice with E5000

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #95,978 of 100,733
My wait for DAPs is finally over. Basically sold mine last month to get a SP2KT from HK which was later seized by customs(they were asking me for like 1600$ for clearance). With help of some friends I got these two to join my arsenal.

Sony WM1A MK2 with hardware mod(basically added electromagnetic shielding and replaced internal wiring).
iBasso DX260(I was eyeing this since launch, grabbed one from Jaben and my friend helped me bring both to India).

I am so in love with the clarity and details of the DX260. It pairs so nicely with my Twilight. I will wait for the honeymoon period to end before posting some impressions because as of now after paying approx 900$ for the device, i can not dislike it at all lol. You guys get my point right :)

1708683081748.png

1708683094473.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #95,979 of 100,733
My wait for DAPs is finally over. Basically sold mine last month to get a SP2KT from HK which was later seized by customs(they were asking me for like 1600$ for clearance). With help of some friends I got these two to join my arsenal.

Sony WM1A MK2 with hardware mod(basically added electromagnetic shielding and replaced internal wiring).
iBasso DX260(I was eyeing this since launch, grabbed one from Jaben and my friend helped me bring both to India).

I am so in love with the clarity and details of the DX260. It pairs so nicely with my Twilight. I will wait for the honeymoon period to end before posting some impressions because as of now after paying approx 900$ for the device, i can not dislike it at all lol. You guys get my point right :)

Phew..good you got that sorted. Your usage of "with help of friends" brings great Delhi vibes to me and confidence that you didn't pay that money :)
Gadgetgod to customs: "baawla ho gaya k?!"

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #95,980 of 100,733
Phew..good you got that sorted. Your usage of "with help of friends" brings great Delhi vibes to me and confidence that you didn't pay that money :)
Gadgetgod to customs: "baawla ho gaya k?!"
No way i am paying up 1600$ to Customs. I had to abandon that shipment. But i got lucky as the fault was not completely mine, the seller mistakenly included retail invoice of SP2KT in the pack. And he is also a good friend of mine so he gifted the WM1A MK2 as a friendly gesture.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #95,981 of 100,733
No way i am paying up 1600$ to Customs. I had to abandon that shipment. But i got lucky as the fault was not completely mine, the seller mistakenly included retail invoice of SP2KT in the pack. And he is also a good friend of mine so he gifted the WM1A MK2 as a friendly gesture.

Damn your friend gave you WM1Am2 like KZ earphone just like that?
Introduce me to your friend so he become my friend too 🤣

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #95,982 of 100,733
Damn your friend gave you WM1Am2 like KZ earphone just like that?
Introduce me to your friend so he become my friend too 🤣
Where is the KZ earphone :/ That is Softears Twilight and that is mine. Besides he is an IEM maker from HK and i have dealt with him several times like purchasing his IEMs, and took his help for getting many players from HK. So a friend from the hobby hehe.

Edit:-
Oh sorry my bad just read your comment properly haha. Man I have been dealing with him since last year and bought a lot of stuff like close to 10000$ so i guess for a small mistake of including invoice a player as a gift is okay hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back